• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riot x spindle

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Don’t know if anyone noticed the riot comes with a different spindle next year. It’s longer from the ball joint to the ski saddle, like the iceage elevate spindle. Here’s a what cat says...
“ARS II gives you better bite on corners and increased ground clearance to deliver more confidence on- or off-trail. We made the forged aluminum spindles 1.5 inches taller from the ski to the lower arm, and gave it more rigid upper A-Arms. Plus, a revised geometry delivers a new roll-center”

Wonder how these would work on the alpha? With the alpha spindle cost of about $180 each, these will probably be a little more, maybe $500 per set. Just thinking out loud of possible alpha mods.

Olzy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2015
Its the same as the 19 sx race sled spindle and it is 1.5 taller than trail spindles and about 1 1/16" taller than the current mountain spindles but the foot is angled at different degrees between new riot and mountain spindles,
They are a half pound heavier than the mountain spindle 4lb vs 3.5lbs,
First pic is a poor comparison pic next to MC spindle.
I'll be installing them today with 40" hc arms so I will know much the fronts will be pointed up later, won't have to do any shimming like I normally do to get the front up lol
e89e6d012c1f1b4bcd9b4ddd9d678b62.jpg
4fd5541d33ac463b46f66bc6ae6d8fec.jpg
0ddf684b3bb470ae4fe886c03c72ccb9.jpg
9f9668892c814951979a27d7472c8021.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Interesting, that’s for posting pics. My guess is since the riot (more trail friendly sled) comes with the new taller spindle and the riot-x (more mountain oriented) comes with the standard mtn cat spindle, cat thinks the taller spindle isn’t as good for a mtn sled.

R
Feb 26, 2008
The trail sled needed an updated front end more than we do. Ive been meaning to get a spindle here to look at. Im more concerned about the angle of the balljoint mounting. Thats gonna be the biggest holdback. Changing the foot of the spindle is easy

• Sad
Reactions: lewis191

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The Riot (trail)/SX spindle isn't designed to be run at the angle the mountain one is. Just rocking it back and bolting it up may have other issues like maintaining parallelism between the top and bottom arms and not interfacing with the ski/damper correctly so that it's applying pressure to bring the front of the ski up (end up with the washout problem ski-doo claims to have fixed with their new spindles). Just things to watch for the guys testing this out. Looks like Olzy is bolting it up to the older geometry front end so shouldn't have to worry about those things.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
My guess is since the riot (more trail friendly sled) comes with the new taller spindle and the riot-x (more mountain oriented) comes with the standard mtn cat spindle, cat thinks the taller spindle isn’t as good for a mtn sled.

based on the website, me thinks riot X can come with a taller mountain spindle, taller than standard mtn spindle.
AMS, arctic mountain suspension "Spindle available only on RiotX." says 27 degree angle, same as ours.
That sled looks higher front and back than the alpha.
Wonder how long they will be backordered this summer...

Olzy

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2015
It's going on an 18 with new geometry 40" that uses the same 16 up mountain spindle after I get it done I'll take pics with it level on the lift and just above the floor so We can see how much it's tilted up with new dampers on Mohawk skis.
It's going together tomorrow instead of today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
If I don’t sell my 17 MC this spring I’ll be putting these on my sled next season because Ice age won’t sell me theirs. And if I do sell it and buy an alpha I’ll still put them on just to try

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
If I don’t sell my 17 MC this spring I’ll be putting these on my sled next season because Ice age won’t sell me theirs. And if I do sell it and buy an alpha I’ll still put them on just to try

Its mind boggling to me that ice age won't sell just the spindals. They are costing themselves sales...

They can say whatever they want about the rear suspension geometry, cats running taller spindals on sleds without drop and rolls...

R
Feb 26, 2008
Theoretically the RiotX should have a taller AMS spindle to match the ride height required for the new rear suspension. If that ends up being true, theyll be selling a whole lot of those.

• Sad
Reactions: Jviper

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Spindles

Theoretically the RiotX should have a taller AMS spindle to match the ride height required for the new rear suspension. If that ends up being true, theyll be selling a whole lot of those.

I agree.
I'm just wonder what it'll handle like compared to the mountain spindle. Looks like the new spindle will move the ski to the rear a bit.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I agree.
I'm just wonder what it'll handle like compared to the mountain spindle. Looks like the new spindle will move the ski to the rear a bit.

RiotX has the mountain spindle, just should be theoretically taller. Need one to check out.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I agree.

exactly what it needs with the cat ski imo. just from a "feel" perspective.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Its mind boggling to me that ice age won't sell just the spindals. They are costing themselves sales...

They can say whatever they want about the rear suspension geometry, cats running taller spindals on sleds without drop and rolls...

It's their prerogative with what they see as a 'system' I guess.

That said, where are you fabricating motherf'rs who could be making spindle extensions?

Seriously, machined 3" extensions that bolt onto the bottom of the existing spindles........

Let's here it guys, there are a lot of creative and motivated people on this site. Hell madmax even made his own damn alpha rail last season!

Reactions: d1100t

Brent7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2017
La Grande, Or.
It's their prerogative with what they see as a 'system' I guess.

That said, where are you fabricating motherf'rs who could be making spindle extensions?

Seriously, machined 3" extensions that bolt onto the bottom of the existing spindles........

Let's here it guys, there are a lot of creative and motivated people on this site. Hell madmax even made his own damn alpha rail last season!

I've been debating doing this. How much taller should a guy try? Was worried about making a weak point but if I machined the bottom of the spindle slightly to make a perfect fit to the extension I assume it would be good.

• Sad
Reactions: Bwhite and kidwoo

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You'd have to create a really good mating surface, maybe even something that cups the stock spindle above the foot a little bit. I think it could be done though.

Premium Features