• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rev Recoil problems

I
Dec 20, 2007
Sometimes my recoil won't "grab". I pull the rope and there is nothing there. It has even stuck with the rope pulled all the way out and wouldn't suck back in. Is this the problems you guys are experiencing?

So when you take the 4 bolts out and pull the recoil out, is the thing going to unwind?

B
Dec 8, 2004
Monticello, Mn
before and after

here is what was left of the old recoil and the new recoil after mod and before install.
After tapping the inside of the post (threads looked really nice), I made an O-ring out of yellow "Emergency Tape". Put the o-Ring on the outside of the post and slid it down to the clip. I used a brass self tapping bolt with an attached dual friction washer. generous ammount of locktite. and WALLAA!

I was a little concerned that it was too tall and would rub but I had just enough clearance so on it went.

Bad news was it had to come back off cause the Stator got hatched when the recoil went. Its in the shop today getting replaced.

B-

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

recoil 005.jpg recoil 004.jpg recoil 003.jpg

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
yep i wondered if a hex headed bolt would work, looks like it will do the trick as long as it doesnt' rub the inside. :)

if i have issues w/ my rethreaded. i have the hole drilled all the way out, so i can run a bolt all the way thru, and put a nut on the outside of the recoil.

D
Oct 25, 2009
OK, you guys got me thinking here. I know Rotax has had issues with recoils (really gets him wound up!) so I decided to do preventative maintenance. Took 45 mins. to do it, so I feel a little better now. here are some pics for those who may not be familiar with this deal.

Tools and such

Quick question, i know bringing up old topic..what size/type of bit is used to take the bolts out for the recoil and what size tap/screw did you use in the hole? Looking to do this in the next couple days. Taken out my recoil before but don't have access to the same tools anymore and have to pick up some new ones to do this..

thanks.

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
WOW, old post!
I ended up replacing my recoild with an outstanding set-up from OX here on the forum back in '08.
I really don't remember what I paid but it was more than stock but built to last a lifetime.
Everything is milled, NOT molded.
Including the red part (pawl) that get's chewed up and then feels like there's nothing there when you pull the rope.

Been a while so I don't know if I even have pictures any more.
OK, here's one....

PICT0008.jpg

Here's a link to the old post with the information.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90833

Some more discussion over the years about this....(PM's back and forth)...

Re: Recoil fix ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline Revolution
Yes, I have the one OX built and it's built much stronger than stock. (better, more evpensive material)
He really advocates buying the whole starter from him but I didn't have the money at the time.
I wondered about whether or not the spring was strong enough to hold the pawl out of the way from the starter cup too while bouncing the sled through the bumps and landings so I tried to add a couple more turns on the spring when I installed his pawl.
I haven't had mine apart since I replaced it so I don't know if it's hitting but I have not had any problem with it either.
I wouldn't bother putting the stock pawl back in there though.
The dealer claims that the damage is caused by not pulling the rope out until it catches and THEN pulling to start it.
There's no way all that damage I had on mine was caused by pulling hard and fast right from the handle at rest.
I never do that, I know better!

Here's my temporary fix to finish out the season ... Ox had pawls but had no covers left. I'm probably going to do the whole shooting match for next season ... his cover design is so much better than stock for servicing ... hate that push washer system!

oxstarterfix.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features