• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rev Recoil problems

B
Dec 8, 2004
Monticello, Mn
New thread old problem.

Is there an aftermarket recoil out there?
where is the best place to get a new one?

My recoil came apart and got chewed up by the cup.
what other damage do I need to check for or do I just put a new recoil on and go?

Thanks

B-

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
The RT recoil seems bulkier so I was curious to know if it'd work in a rev but no one seems to know.
I don't believe there's any aftermarket recoil for the rev.
Either gotta by new $150 or find a used one.
The problem with those things are the metal clip that's "supposed" to keep it all together, some guys have been drilling a hole all the way through and bolting together with some luck.

R
Nov 26, 2007
TB-MT
^^ like he said...i went thru 4 last year...2 rebuilds and 2 new ones...end of the year i ended up tapping a screw with a big enough collar to cover the metal clip they put on 'em...filled the hole with silicone and screwed down thru the center post...no problems since....
but make sure u get that metal clip out!! lost one inside the stator and hung up on my pick-up coil...caused all kinds of problems till i found it.
just my personal experience...
rook

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
best thing to do w/ these pos recoils, is the thread the middle hole, get a bolt/washer setup that will fit and hold the parts on correctly.. the main issue as already state is that clip WILL work its way loose and come off the end, then the plastics slide up and off the end, catch and get ground up chewed up spit out etc... DO NOT RUN THE SLED if you hear or feel things fall apart like this... if it happens beginning of the day, pull the recoil off completely, remove all parts/garbage that may have fallen out. start via rope+primary... and trust me, i know how much of a pita it is to start when COLD and when flooded off the primary. if/next time i have an issue, i'm going to e start period. had issues on the ZX, had same issues on the Rev...no diff i can deal w/ clutching/venting/heat FIX THE GD recoils, eh? messed up clutching at leasts allows you to ride the sled! broken recoils cause a lot more swearing and lost time.. =p

anyway...thats your best bet as i have yet to see a aftermarket recoil for doos.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
http://www.jaycoxpowersports.com/pages/parts/viewbrands/default.aspx

look up your model.

125$ for the 800ho summit. i just bought one a year or so ago for 160ish from another dealer...so 170+ is prob the going rate w/ the 5-10% increase per year.

cheapest i've ever seen. add 10-15$ shipping, and your still WAY cheaper than local.

these are the guys i buy parts from now, since their not out to GOUGE n RAPE with their prices. and from the talks i've had w/ a few of the guys in their parts dept, they actually have a clue when it comes to snowmobiles. unlike some shops that have no idea what your talking about when you try to explain it to the local parts dept 'person'..

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
I bought my sled from those guys.
Chads a good guy and works with you, not against you.

If you can get our old one together I'd drill it out and put a bolt through, that's what I'm doing right now.
The only problem with these recoils is they just don't stay together cause of that stupid retaining clip.

B
Dec 8, 2004
Monticello, Mn
unfortunatly the cup had chewed everything up and partway into the reel:(
I am going to pull off the cup and check everything behind it for damage and clean out the plastic bits really well.
I am picking up a new one tonight and I will order a spare from Chad ASAP.

R
Nov 26, 2007
TB-MT
yeah the plastic got all the way into my stator..was a major PITA!
also found that after the first time that the little metal clip came off the post...new ones never held for very long...the groove on the post that the clip locks into rounds over or something.....

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
yep, once you remove or the clip comes off for any reason, you screwed for reusing it. since this is what causes all the problems, best fix is a properly spacered bolt/washer combo screwed into the center post. did that on my zx and had 0 issues for a couple season. have now done it to my Rev, will see how far it gets me.

yeah the plastic got all the way into my stator..was a major PITA!
also found that after the first time that the little metal clip came off the post...new ones never held for very long...the groove on the post that the clip locks into rounds over or something.....

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
Did "The fix"

OK, you guys got me thinking here. I know Rotax has had issues with recoils (really gets him wound up!) so I decided to do preventative maintenance. Took 45 mins. to do it, so I feel a little better now. here are some pics for those who may not be familiar with this deal.

Tools and such

Hole to be tapped

Tapping hole

Bolt, o-ring spacer, and washer

Job finished!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
#1 You should add 2 spaces under the bolt where the old retaining clip used to be....1/2" washer seems to do the trick.
Otherwise you've got alot of play there and you want that thing tight...but not too tight.

#2 I went a drilled a hole all the way through and used a lock nut so it is less likely to back out.
Loctite might do the trick though with your way.

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
Good points. I use a hard neoprene o-ring to put a little tension on things without tightening the clip/washer deal against the moving parts. I do use blue loctite to keep it all together.

R
Nov 26, 2007
TB-MT
good pics...exactly what i did....
good idea snowsnob on going all the way thru with a lock nut..i didnt know if it was possible so i didnt do it...might give it a shot :)

B
Dec 8, 2004
Monticello, Mn
Thanks for the pictures, that really helps!
My new recoil from Jaycox should be here in the morning and I will be modding that out of the box. I will try and post a few pictures too.
BTW i got my recoil and a set of jets for $149.61 shipped. Thanks JaycoX Motorsports!
B-

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
yep, us doo guys are MODDING recoils now.. good luck withing hanging w/ us now!! ;) hahah

do u port your recoil??? hmmmmm ;) hah

Thanks for the pictures, that really helps!
My new recoil from Jaycox should be here in the morning and I will be modding that out of the box. I will try and post a few pictures too.
BTW i got my recoil and a set of jets for $149.61 shipped. Thanks JaycoX Motorsports!
B-

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
How tough?

It is not really that bad. When you are in a warm shop with a cold pipe/can and you have time to work on it!!! Seriously, it is not that bad, two of the bolts require a little angle work and the other two are easy to drop in the belly pan. Once the bolts are out it is matter of pushing a hose out of the way, wiggling the recoil up and past the end of the pipe and presto!! it is out.

Well, maybe it is a pain!!

Premium Features