• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

retractable wheel kits for 2021 Freeride Turbo( DS3-E skis ) ???

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
i've got a 2021 Freeride Turbo 165 , and i'm looking for retractable wheels for it. Neither RollerSki nor Rouski make a kit that is compatible.
According to kimpex, 'maybe next year'.
according to the parts list, the 2021 FreeRide comes with DS3-E skis. I want to be able to ride from my house about a mile to the trailhead.

if i knew more about the parts dimensions, it seems possible that the kits for the DS2 skis which do exist might be modified to fit. But i'm new to this. I know everything about motorcycles, but nothing much about snowmobiles. Which of course, made the Freeride Turbo the obvious choice.)

Anyone have any ideas on a compatible kit or know the skis(DS2 vs DS3-E) well enough to know if it'd be possible to modify the DS2 kit to fit the DS3-E ?

thx

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Riding on bare ground?
I think your sled will overheat.

wideopenbeau

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2009
Milky Way.
Ya I would not run that far on a wheel setup like that. They do look like a quality product but still. I don’t think they would last very long going that far and and as jcjc1 said you will prob overheat in a quick fashion especially if you let it warm up like you should before taking off.

• Sad
Reactions: brad1960

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
i'd be running with the snowflap, factory and tunnel mount scratchers assuming you have snow on the ground but then you don't want to be constantly stopping to pull your scratchers up when on bare ground/concrete as that will get old real quick.

I (we) understand the desire to be able to ride from your garage/shop and not have to load-up your machine everytime you ride. It can be a pain. However....

In your situation, having to ride a mile over paved/snowy roads each way to the trailhead, is going to take a major toll on your very expensive sled. Over-heating would probably be a constant issue as mentioned above. But also wear and tear on your 165" track might be just as big of a problem in the long run.
In addition, most of the wheel kits are made to occasionally cross a dry road or maneuver your machine around a dry parking lot to get onto a trailer, or around a shop. They're not typically made to go two miles down a road on a regular basis.
Lastly, if your goal is to be a deep-powder, cliff-jumping, YouTube dominating bad-ass (like all the rest of us!). I think just the added weight and deep snow 'drag' of a wheel kit would get really old, really fast.

You invested the coin on the sled. Investing in a decent trailer or sled deck (and a cover) is also a required part of this sport for most of us.

Good luck.

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
good points guys. I'll have to figure the trailer situation out. eventually i'll get a truck and sled deck, but not this year. I didn't expect the track to be as soft as it is. it must wear like mad on anything but soft snow. anyway, I picked it up yesterday before the snow here in Tahoe. If anyone in the area wants to show me the ropes, hit me up. i'm in Stateline, upper Kingsbury.

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Not only will you wear out your track, you’ll burn up the hyfax which decreases the friction between rails and track. You’ll also sieze your engine as snow thrown up onto coolers by the track replaces typical fan cooling.
Even driving on ice is easy to overheat, let alone bare ground.

P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
yeah, i see this as i look at the design. It seems a bit crazy that there is no flow-through-radiator or even a little heat sink style webbing in the tunnel. I don't know, i would suppose it was never needed, except for all the comments to watch out for it.

R
Nov 16, 2016
1....... It seems a bit crazy that there is no flow-through-radiator or even a little heat sink style webbing in the tunnel.

2...... I don't know, i would suppose it was never needed, except for all the comments to watch out for it.

1.... the engine coolant "heat exchanger" is attached to the center of the tunnel.
The track throws snow up against it as to remove heat from the engine coolant.
In other words, instead of "air" passing through a "radiator" (to remove heat), snow is used against the "heat exchanger" to remove engine heat.
When riding in the right conditions (while keeping the track off of ice and hard packed snow), it is very effective!

Example only:

SK-SN-ST-0282-0093-1-SKIDOO_1024x1024.jpg

2.... I may not be following you on that one.
However, there are snowmobiles that are "fan cooled"..... I.E., no liquid coolant, only air moving past the cyliners and cylinder head cooling fins.

Typically, these engines are 500 cc and smaller.

Arctic-Cat-Series-2000-Twin.jpg

Regarding the hyfax runners...... keep an eye on them.
And also make sure that your snow flap is doing it's job.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcjc1
P
Dec 5, 2021
Lake Tahoe
my point was only that the flat surface of the tunnel does not have enough surface area to exchange heat with the air, and thus counts mostly on snow contact.
heat sinks create more surface area to exchange heat with airflow, even though they aren't 'flow through', they are (sometimes) contact only: https://tinyurl.com/y8mu8b52
(i know i know, watercooled evaporative closed loop systems, etc, exist)

a hybrid approach would use the same tunnel cooling arrangement, but have some protrusions(wrinkles / heat sink) to exchange heat better in 'dry' conditions, perhaps even only near the water intake. I'm sure someone already tried it, and for whatever reason abandoned it as a design.

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Simple….as with the sleds all you need for the boat is a trailer. Truck or other vehicle works too if the boats small enough.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Who says you need a truck or trailer.
Google "snowmobile on car roof"

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

IDspud

forum potato expert
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
@turbolover, note the “small vehicle” stated. Seen the Buick skylark pull in the lot with skag grooves in the roof.
Love my self built four wheeler trailer I use as garage work bench and sketchy access points nearby.

Reactions: turbolover
Premium Features