• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Report from All Trails Lead to Olympia

R
Sep 24, 2010
I spent yesterday in Olympia with WSSA meeting with Senators and Representatives, and the new's is NOT good.

It sounds like there is definite plans to sweep the dedicated snowmobile funds, the NOVA funds, and the boater funds. We spoke to several members of the legislature and while many Republicans were on our side, there were several Democrats who acted like they knew nothing, or some made comments like "Well a complete sweep won't be bad".

So we NEED to light them up. Make them aware that the dedicated snowmobile fund receives NO money from the General fund and was setup by Snowobilers to pay for their own grooming and plowing of snow parks. Also, point out that other user groups benefit from our sno parks (skinny skiers, dog sledders, snow shoers). As well as the 115 million to 155 million in economic benefit to the state. Also, think about the businesses that would probably fail without snowmobile support: Whistling Jacks, Last Resort, Lone Fir Lodge in Cougar are just a FEW that come immediately to mind.

Also, with no plowing and grooming, what's the point of registering your sled if you can't ride it? So then they will get NO money.

So, write your reps, call them, let your friends know. We need to stop this NOW.

Here's a link to finding your rep contact information:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/districtfinder/default.aspx

Remember, be respectful, be polite, don't swear.

Here's an email I sent to my Senator and Reps:
Senator Kilmer,

As a constituent a recent development has come to my attention that is alarming to me. As I understand it, there are plans to sweep the dedicated snowmobile fund into the general fund.

While I understand that the state is in dire financial states, there are some things to understand about the Snowmobile fund (and snowmobiling in general), about which I am not certain you are aware.

First: The snowmobile fund receives NO money from the general fund. It is funded 100% from snowmobile registrations and from a refund on the gas tax. This fund was established in the 1970's at the request of the snowmobile community so that we could provide grooming and plowed sno- parks for our membership. At the time, we did not expect a free ride from the state, and have, at times, asked to INCREASE our license registration fees to provide better grooming and open more sno-parks.

Second: The sno-parks that are payed for benefit multiple user groups, not just snowmobilers. Dog Sledders, Cross Country Skiers, Snow Shoe users all benefit from sno parks that are cleared due to funding provided by snowmobilers.

Third, the economic impact on is estimated at 115 to 155 million dollars per year. This impact goes much further than just snowmobile dealers and mechanics. It goes to Whistlin Jack's restaurant on Hiway 410, which, without snowmobilers in the winter, may very well close down. It goes to The Last Resort in Easton, again, another business that without winter support from snowmobilers may not exist. It goes to the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar, which again, is supported by snowmobilers in the winter. I could continue, but as you can see, there are many businesses who depend on snowmobiling for their lively hood in the winter.

In closing Senator, I would like to extend an invitation to you and your family to come out riding with us. We would be more than happy to show you the beautiful back country that you can experience while on a snowmobile.

Sincerely,

Rick Hein
Vice President
Sno Jammers Snowmobile Club - Puyallup WA

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Get him 30 miles into the backcountry and make a deal. He gets a ride out, we get our money not stolen.

M
Nov 28, 2007
My thanks to Rick for posting this information up.

My question to everyone reading this....

Have you contacted your legislators yet?

There ought to be 100+ posts here from people saying they have made contact.

Seriously folks, this is CRITICAL!

You can't NOT get involved this time...

STEP UP!

(And for all of you who have made contact, THANK YOU!)

If anybody has any questions on this issue, please feel free to contact me at matt.mead@wssa.us.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Personally we are sick of Washington (and federal) politics when it come to budgets (actually they don't do a budget). You have the democrats still spending money they don't have (the GOP FINALLY figured that was not working:light: but are being painted as "bad guys" :devil:because of attempts to stop the spending).

Our local state representatives have been contacted (and we will spend $$$ on the WA gov. race supporting GOP)... but if the DEMOCRATS (who are in control) take the snowmobile money we will vote with our feet and just license in Idaho and ride there (or in Washington because without funding there will be no LEO and we don't care about grooming)...

We spend our money on the Blue Ribbon Coalition and write letters but it seems too many Americans want to be a victim or want us to give them money just because they breathe. :director:Remember the out of control spending that is going on in Washington State and at the federal level this coming fall... spend money on people that will end out of control spending... do it for our grand and great grand children.

Last edited:
Premium Features