• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

replacing drop bracket

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
So I broke a drop bracket and tweak my tunnel a little bit.

I was in the process of fixing the tunnel with a reinforced plate but I found the drop bracket shattered in half, it wasn't at first but I rode bit like that.

what are my options here:
fire n ice have a replacement for 250us, I'm in Canada tho.

finding a stock drop bracket from a damaged frame?

where can I get the rivets for the drop bracket?

Anyone have ideas?
Thanks
eec0f59f2c607549b31d898646ada8d6.jpg
5d20e0dcd0cd06cbb66ef83ae0f2fed9.jpg
4e62ea8e12a80f94b2c61a6642e1467f.jpg
549157db72db5a5767b6bed85c1d5c37.jpg

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I believe kmod makes brackets might check them out.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
Kmod a repair bracket and backwoods bmp makes there stump buster bracket . I ordered both sets to repair my tunnel and ended up using the backwoods bmp because they seemed a bit stronger. I also put a Rouge Concepts 1/2 length rear bumper on for additional support. Here are a few before and after pictures.

Side Note: both options are great products and would have confidence using either of the two.

b2053bfc845561225fa329d4f147bb9e.jpg

b3d352773867db2d31cb5ed5bdcaee4d.jpg

655b7ea1268da6de6358846af2a5989b.jpg

32568c22d0dbdd52ff099809535b583a.jpg

a0430527afa7e500c56cf9a0d96b1a97.jpg

www.cvcustoms.com
Home of the 850 PIDD Power Up Cable

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Kmod a repair bracket and backwoods bmp makes there stump buster bracket . I ordered both sets to repair my tunnel and ended up using the backwoods bmp because they seemed a bit stronger. I also put a Rouge Concepts 1/2 length rear bumper on for additional support. Here are a few before and after pictures.

Side Note: both options are great products and would have confidence using either of the two.

b2053bfc845561225fa329d4f147bb9e.jpg

b3d352773867db2d31cb5ed5bdcaee4d.jpg

655b7ea1268da6de6358846af2a5989b.jpg

32568c22d0dbdd52ff099809535b583a.jpg

a0430527afa7e500c56cf9a0d96b1a97.jpg

www.cvcustoms.com
Very nice

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
alright thanks for the input.

I found 2 stock bracket close here for 100cad so I think I'll go with this option for the moment and come back with an heavy duty bracket if something move again back there.

any objection against using stainless steel bolts instead of solid rivets for the bracket to tunnel mounting?

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com

I found 2 stock bracket close here for 100cad so I think I'll go with this option for the moment and come back with an heavy duty bracket if something move again back there.

any objection against using stainless steel bolts instead of solid rivets for the bracket to tunnel mounting?

Don't think you'll have enough track clearance unless you put the bolt heads on the inside. I had to use short rivets when doing tunnel bracing.

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com

Solid rivets would be the best option. Otherwise you could use a 1/4 Stainless Steel Rivet... you would have to drill out the existing holes larger but would hold the strength needed. The BMP stump busters use 1/4” stainless rivets and they work great

www.cvcustoms.com

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Don't think you'll have enough track clearance unless you put the bolt heads on the inside. I had to use short rivets when doing tunnel bracing.
that was my plan, round head screw inside. I just want to see what happens or if I ll change my mind before installing rivets

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Solid rivets would be the best option. Otherwise you could use a 1/4 Stainless Steel Rivet... you would have to drill out the existing holes larger but would hold the strength needed. The BMP stump busters use 1/4” stainless rivets and they work great

www.cvcustoms.com
the thing about pop rivet is I'm scared of the inside buldge it creates I don't want to rip a track on that but if the stump busters are installed that way it's just a matter of having just the right length.

• Wow
Reactions: Ski-Dont89

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
For those interested into a follow up

I gathered everything i needed this week and will go for a ride tomorrow.
I had reinforcement plate, used stock drop bracket and mounting hardware.

The season is getting over soon and i didn't wanted to take too much time to fix that. This is more of a temporary solution and give me some time to see if the tunnel continue to kink and shear.

So i had the big plates making the whole running board length and i just cut it to use the back portion, i did not like the fit and the huge brand on it. Using a simple aluminium plate would have been a better idea at this point but when i brought them i was gonna install them, it's Saturday and no time to mess around so i cut it.

the drop bracket holes position was different on my sled than what i brought???? i don't understand that, did they changed the holes positions after a certain year? The brackets was exactly the same other than that.

d2u9DTCl.jpg

I was gonna re-drill anyway to accept the 1/4 bolts so i matched the holes. no real big deal but i certainly did not expect that

cHjmTB9l.jpg

4e0mrb9l.jpg

xQ7wM6Al.jpg

rHUqPiwl.jpg

Beauty is the least of my concerns for the moment, i will get a plate how i want it for next year and might use something inside too like fire N ice have if needed and most likely buy heavy duty drop bracket while i'm on this.

So much for weight saving i guess, now i need to go on a diet

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
Before you installed, did you ever consider taller drop brackets to get the ass end up a little more? I feel my 18 163 rides to low. Dose any one even make taller drop brackets any more?

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
hey just reviving this thread, my whole tunnel and bracket cannot stay in one piece..for ****
I'll have picture tomorrow when i work on it.

I know we have low snow and i like jumping a few feet and dropping from rocks/hill but it's nothing like i see in video for god sake lol

Basically one side went south, then the other side, both are plated now, but the new(used) brackets are already starting to bow in and crack.

@cvscustoms
how thick is the inside tunnel section of those BMP brackets? that's where my problem is

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA
The heavy drop brackets from KMOD are very strong and don't crack because they are not welded. The plate inside the tunnel is substantial and reinforces the tunnel.
We are using them with coupled suspensions and they are holding up very well.

Reactions: MKULTRA

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I'm thinking of going with a custom solution keeping the steel part, the brackets are always fine but I keep bending the aluminium plate going inside the tunnel.

Ordering in the US can get expensive from Canada. If I go with kmod or BMP.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

cvcustoms

#getsomegetthere
Lifetime Membership
Sep 10, 2018
www.cvcustoms.com
hey just reviving this thread, my whole tunnel and bracket cannot stay in one piece..for ****
I'll have picture tomorrow when i work on it.

I know we have low snow and i like jumping a few feet and dropping from rocks/hill but it's nothing like i see in video for god sake lol

Basically one side went south, then the other side, both are plated now, but the new(used) brackets are already starting to bow in and crack.

@cvscustoms
how thick is the inside tunnel section of those BMP brackets? that's where my problem is

The support is essentially a 1/4” thick with machined reliefs where there is a dual tunnel thickness. I have had no issues with this repair. The track comes close to the rivets but they do not interfere with one another.

Reactions: MKULTRA
G
Dec 20, 2007
I’m having the same issue as you MK...looking at your picture, we have something in common; timbersled skid. I just ordered a set of the BMPs to fix. I choose them over the KMODS as the gusset at the front should counter act the forward force when the suspension couples. I’m thinking this is what is causing us grief, as neither of us have had a massive contact/crash like the others. It was pricey, 610cdn to BC, but I’ll let you know how it turns out.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Yeah I'm sure the coupled skid is the problem cause, im still running my 2nd almost broken stock brackets lol

I have a template made and I'll see to get something fab up close. Will post pics when I get something done

Make sure you plate your tunnel also with the bracket because the harder this section gets it will push the problem further in the chassis.

Whoever run a coupled skid get aftermarket brackets and reinforce the tunnel.

Im trying to not go higher than this...

Last edited:
Premium Features