• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil Spring????

I am several hundred miles from home on a "work trip" and friend of mine rode my 2001 XC 800 SP today. He called me and said that after riding for a few minutes the recoil rope came out and would not rewind back into the housing. He said that it rewound fine when he initially started it.

He pulled the recoil starter housing off/apart and said that the "tang" on the end of the spring (part that engages in the "recoil spool") had straightend out causing it to disengage.

Why would the tang straighten out while it is rewound?

I can understand why it might do it while the rope is pulled, as the spring would have a lot more tension on it, but it makes no sense to me that it would do it while rewound.

I got my sleds this fall and have not yet been able to ride any of them in the snow. I get to come home for 4 days over Christmas and there is good snow so I don't want this ruining my riding time.

We talked about how to repair (no Dealer near where I live) and talked about rebending the tang, but are reluctant to do this. It bent once so assume it would be predisposed to doing so again.

Could we cut approx and 1" (original tang part) off and bend a new tang? Or is it spring steel that is not easily bent?

For temporary use, he is transfering the spring out of my XCR 600 SP into the 800. The XCR is temp out of commision, but I will need to install a spring in it.

Aftermarket springs are available on Ebay for $8 and new from Polaris is approx. $30.

Anyone ever used the aftermarket springs and if so did they fit well and last?

Thanks, Joel

x2.... don't bend it. It will break again. Make sure to put a new rope on there as well as long as you have it all apart. Those big blocks eat ropes about once every other year.

I just put in 3/16" AmSteel Blue winch cable a few weeks ago, so the rope is good to go.

What about Aftermarket Spring?

Turns out the one I found on Ebay apparently will not fit.

Are there any that are as good, or better than stock? If so, where can I get one?

Premium Features

Back