• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rear Suspension bottoming

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
I'm asking on behalf of my nephew. he has a 04 RMK 700 144. He's bottoming out going over some medium size jumps and big whoops. He's got A Fox Float w/ a reservoir for a rear track shock.

I have a 06 700 159 and I have a Fox Zero Pro on my back end. I switched from the stock .359/90 torsion spring to the .359/47. It made all the difference in the world. Of course, I did the shock and spring at the same time, so I dont have a comparison to be able to tell what made the ride better. So, I'm not sure where to tell him where to start.

1. What is the recommended pressure for a Fox Float rear track shock?
2. Does this sound like a shock pressure issue, or a torsion spring issue?
3. Does the 04 have the same torsion spring set up as my 06?

T
Nov 18, 2003
Reno Nevada
same springs and it sounds like he needs the fatboy spring kit. If he is running a float though does he need springs?? doesn't the float make it's own spring??

You should be able to getthe big springs for just under 100.00

Chris

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
same springs and it sounds like he needs the fatboy spring kit. If he is running a float though does he need springs?? doesn't the float make it's own spring??

You should be able to getthe big springs for just under 100.00

Chris

The fat boys aren't his answer, he's 6'0" and 175 with gear.
I'm wondering if he just doesn't have enough air in his shock(maybe leaking), or if his torsion springs are just worn out.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i dont have much shock "knowledge" but, i would start with the torsion springs..they are common wear items, that usually only last a couple years..

but then again, the shocks are a wear item as well..they do wear and need a rebuild..

but if it were me..i would replace the torsion springs for sure...and go from there...

wish i could help you out more bud...just not my specialty

S
Mar 11, 2009
Washington
How is the suspension currently set up as far as the front shock mount location and the torsion spring adjuster blocks? If he does a lot of jumps and bumps, the upper/back shock mount location might work better for him than the forward/lower location. When I swung the front shock forward I found that it softened the entire suspension a little bit and I had to change the torsion spring adjuster blocks from medium to the stiffest position.

Also, is the suspension popping back up on its own the way it should? I would make sure all the pivot points/swing arms are moving freely and not binding anywhere. If it's not popping back up the way it should then it already has a head start on bottoming out.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
How is the suspension currently set up as far as the front shock mount location and the torsion spring adjuster blocks? If he does a lot of jumps and bumps, the upper/back shock mount location might work better for him than the forward/lower location. When I swung the front shock forward I found that it softened the entire suspension a little bit and I had to change the torsion spring adjuster blocks from medium to the stiffest position.

Also, is the suspension popping back up on its own the way it should? I would make sure all the pivot points/swing arms are moving freely and not binding anywhere. If it's not popping back up the way it should then it already has a head start on bottoming out.

Are you talking about the front track shock or the rear track shock?
The front isnt going to affect bottoming out the back end very much, if at all. I need to look at where he has his torsion spring set. The sled is new to him this year and is being rode alot harder than the previous owner did. Which is why I'm wondering if there just isnt enuf air in the rear track Fox Float. I gotta look at his sag in the azz end too, think it might be a combination of shock and torsion spring.

Any ideas on what the basic air setting is for a Fox Float on the rear track shock? That will give us a baseline to work from.

Premium Features