• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Random no-start condition

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
I've had this happen to me a couple of times now ... Sled randomly dies (as if someone pulled the tether) and then it won't start ... Pulling the cord feels like there is no spark (a bit hard to pull) ...

First time this happened it just died, pulled a handful of times and nothing . .kept pulling and it eventually started and ran fine

Second time I had stopped and killed the engine .. then it refused to start .. checked tether, kill switch, key ... etc . .nothing .. changed plugs and then it fired up and ran again ... the plugs that came out weren't even bad or fouled !?

I have the polaris tether and a munster kill switch ... next time this condition happens I'll unplug the tether and kill switch one at a time to see if either one is malfunctioning ... anything else I should keep an eye on ?

Thanks

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I had a polaris tether fail within the first season of use. So have a lot of people.

Get that thing off there first and see if you can duplicate the problem. I'm betting it just stops doing that. I was having some weird cutting out issues, sometimes bogging, sometimes would die. I pulled the polaris tether off and replaced it with a cat magnetic and an OFT adapter harness. Hasn't hiccupped since.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I had a polaris tether fail within the first season of use. So have a lot of people.

Get that thing off there first and see if you can duplicate the problem. I'm betting it just stops doing that. I was having some weird cutting out issues, sometimes bogging, sometimes would die. I pulled the polaris tether off and replaced it with a cat magnetic and an OFT adapter harness. Hasn't hiccupped since.

Exactly.

Poo tether = trash.

rmkboy38

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2008
ME
Check the plug above your clutch guard, had same thing happen to me. Two days in a row wouldn't start, dealer found pin not fully engaged, ground for fuel pump.
2020 850. BTW Polaris tether too.

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
I put a tiny button head wood screw in my tether cap to push the switch open more. No problems once I did this. But before.... oh boy was I chasing no starts and random dying. 13CA2CAB-929E-4498-88C5-6A7BE0605A60.jpeg

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
yeah definitely been having random bog issues too ...

i'll try the screw thing, and perhaps a new tether solution altogether (gonna see about fitting the skidoo rf dess post... of course the RF part won't work, but the magnetic kill switch just might!)

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
You want your sled to just sit there and beep while it won't move? ;)

Arctic cat has the solution, not brp.

bahahhaa .. last time that ever happened was 2014 .. the rf keys work great !

My polaris already has skidoo linq stuff and scratchers .. might as well throw a tether on it too for good measure ;) 10 years of riding doo, I have a lot of doo accessories and parts kicking around lol

can't argue that doo's accessories are freaking top notch compared to other brands... the doo DESS post is cheaper than the cat tether too .. what the heck I like being different ;)

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The new tethers work great. You must not be riding with a g4.

You're right.

I ride with two of them. :D

To be fair one was a pre-release prototype with a cobbled together main harness that's given him some other issues. They definitely beat the ones that come on the polaris sleds though. No doubt about that.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I rode with a fella that had a random no start this past weekend. We had spark, plugs were dry, yanked on the thing for 5 minutes. We were about to hook up the tow strap, pulled a couple more times and it fired, sure seemed like a fuel pump or power to the pump issue.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I just had a similar problem but come to find out the tops of the plugs had literally stripped out and were loose and stuck in my plug caps. They were the NGKs that have an open top. It was a PITA to pry the top of the plugs out of the caps. Coming off Doos I've never changed a plug in my life. I went straight to Napa and bought every plug they had and am just going to change plugs every 200 miles from now on.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I just had a similar problem but come to find out the tops of the plugs had literally stripped out and were loose and stuck in my plug caps. They were the NGKs that have an open top. It was a PITA to pry the top of the plugs out of the caps. Coming off Doos I've never changed a plug in my life. I went straight to Napa and bought every plug they had and am just going to change plugs every 200 miles from now on.
That’s not the Sleds fault something happened during the installation process

Premium Features