• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rail Bracing

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I have a 163 axys and it was brought to my attention that "if you like to jump, you better brace those rails!"

Anybody brace their rails? The only kit that I see available are the two kits from iceage. Anybody use them on the axys?

Anybody bend their rails yet? I'm not an extreme cliff dropper but I like the occasional drop or good jumps. Do I need them?

pappabruce

Lifetime Membership
Mar 14, 2011
Can't say if they are needed or not but I know Skinz has rail bracing for the axys as well for another option.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
All you really need to do is add an extra cross shaft in the big section in the rear with no support between the rails. I do it on all my sleds since 06. Adding the extra shafts keep the rails from bowing out, and bending up in the rear. Eric

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I have a 163 axys and it was brought to my attention that "if you like to jump, you better brace those rails!"

Anybody brace their rails? The only kit that I see available are the two kits from iceage. Anybody use them on the axys?

Anybody bend their rails yet? I'm not an extreme cliff dropper but I like the occasional drop or good jumps. Do I need them?

I'm 220 and have bent 3 sets of pro rails. 1 stock 2 ice age.

I'm not a big jumper.

The problem area is between the front and rear arms.

A cross shaft right behind the bunpstops is an easy add.

(The pro assault had this)

I fit an ice age x brace under the front arm.

The swing of the rear track shock goes into the void where the x shape is.

Right behind the front arm the rails try to bow out and then they can bend up.

The only time i have seen the rails bend behind the rear track shock is if the stock cross shaft gets loose.

d2dbaa29c9939f68bbeb648c6667e689.jpg

7554f52cac6470d17e5df7f1786ad601.jpg

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
How long have you had the x brace in there? Have you ever had any other bracing in there as mentioned above (just a cross bar)?

Since new.
360 miles.

I had no cross bar.
The x brace I think works better for preventing spread.
Expensive though. :)
Found mine used.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I really wanted the ice age hill climb brace on my 163 also but shipping to Alaska is crazy $$, like $80 on top of $175 retail (however I am a dealer for them and still stuck on the shipping rate) so I opt out "for now". I also am not a huge jumper but I'm a "manly 250lbs of adult" dry and always ran ice age rails..gonna play it out and see what happens lol.
The x brace is pretty trick tho but also the same price as the hill climb brace..

But the extra cross bar is a no brainier tho..minimum standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
I really wanted the ice age hill climb brace on my 163 also but shipping to Alaska is crazy $$, like $80 on top of $175 retail (however I am a dealer for them and still stuck on the shipping rate) so I opt out "for now". I also am not a huge jumper but I'm a "manly 250lbs of adult" dry and always ran ice age rails..gonna play it out and see what happens lol.
The x brace is pretty trick tho but also the same price as the hill climb brace..

I'm 200 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal! Or so I tell the old lady.

God $200 is a hard pill to swallow, I know that but I guess it's better than bent rails

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
so much of it is not "if you like to jump" but "how" you jump.

i have a buddy with no finesse and i've seen him bend multiple rails because his lands goofy.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT

A really smooth ride can get away with an insane amount of abuse. The AXYS Stock rails are realyl strong straight up and down but sideways hits they are very vulnerable to twisitng/rolling etc.

I'm 220 and have bent 3 sets of pro rails. 1 stock 2 ice age.

I'm not a big jumper.

The problem area is between the front and rear arms.

A cross shaft right behind the bunpstops is an easy add.

(The pro assault had this)

I fit an ice age x brace under the front arm.

The swing of the rear track shock goes into the void where the x shape is.

Right behind the front arm the rails try to bow out and then they can bend up.

The only time i have seen the rails bend behind the rear track shock is if the stock cross shaft gets loose.

d2dbaa29c9939f68bbeb648c6667e689.jpg

7554f52cac6470d17e5df7f1786ad601.jpg

Awesome use of the x-brace! That is right where they need them, they always buckle right out behind the FTA mount, as you know!

Guido, give us a jingle, we can get those out postal for FAR cheaper then that, UPS is just killer for the longer packages to AK

so much of it is not "if you like to jump" but "how" you jump.

i have a buddy with no finesse and i've seen him bend multiple rails because his lands goofy.

^^ This is the truth! Pro riders can get away with some pretty big hits on stock stuff as they tend to be a lot smoother then some of us out on the snow:face-icon-small-coo

Moral of the story, if your doing much more then general light duty boondocking, some bracing is not a bad idea! Seems like if your pushing it a set of rails will get taco'd sooner then later. The hillclimb braces couple with a cross shaft or two would be a killer combo for the stock AXYS rails.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
A really smooth ride can get away with an insane amount of abuse. The AXYS Stock rails are realyl strong straight up and down but sideways hits they are very vulnerable to twisitng/rolling etc.

Awesome use of the x-brace! That is right where they need them, they always buckle right out behind the FTA mount, as you know!

Guido, give us a jingle, we can get those out postal for FAR cheaper then that, UPS is just killer for the longer packages to AK

^^ This is the truth! Pro riders can get away with some pretty big hits on stock stuff as they tend to be a lot smoother then some of us out on the snow:face-icon-small-coo

Moral of the story, if your doing much more then general light duty boondocking, some bracing is not a bad idea! Seems like if your pushing it a set of rails will get taco'd sooner then later. The hillclimb braces couple with a cross shaft or two would be a killer combo for the stock AXYS rails.

Which would you recommend, the x brace or just a couple of extra cross shafts like MH suggested?

Last edited:

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
There is not much meat left on the AXYS rail to work with in stock form!

You can run them in the lower wheel block holes, one which is right behind the front torque arm and the other which is less beneficial, but right in front of the rear scissor mount.

For most guys we think the Hillclimb braces will offer better overall strength gains then the x-brace for these rails.

Premium Features