• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Radio Communication - Emergency Channel?

The negative there for those who are using the Baofengs is those are the low power frequencies ...these radios run 5 watts except for channels 7 thru 14- I think it is- those channels are only 1 watt . .or was it .5..can't remember. ..anyway. ..just way less . ..the reason we use them is for the higher wattage so kinda losing the advantage if we go to the mid channels...yeah, we can but kinda going backward ...

I would argue that having an 'emergency' channel would be one more thing to go wrong in an actual emergency.
Sure you run the CHANCE or a cat driver, or a HAM guy picking up your distress call, but I'd say the likelihood of having half the group on one channel, and half the group on another when the stuff hits the fan is far higher.

The scenario in my head is an avalanche. You see it, and switch to your emergency channel, your group forgets or clicks to E instead of F. Now you're talking to no one, and further confusing things, also, the guy trapped can no longer hear your communications, which would be a hit to moral.
You have 15 minutes from burial to rescue, messing around trying to summon the group across the valley is a bad use of that time in my opinion.

And if someone is injured, your radio MIGHT be heard by a HAM, or cat driver but I would bet against it. In that scenario I feel the time would be better spent sending someone to the trail head to call for a rescue if you can't self rescue.

That all said, if I was trying to raise someone I didn't know I would try 4 20, seems that's many peoples go to channel.
I have heard some popular trail heads designating an emergency channel, but most radios can only monitor one freq, so the chance that anyone is listening would be slim.

I think your missing the point of the emergency channel.

The idea is to have a "known channel" or common channel for emergency radio traffic. This is not only for individuals calling out but for rescue teams, groomer operators, emergency services...etc. to monitor or scan. This way the chances of a distress being heard is greatly increased.

You also have to think outside the box and not just the "avy" scenario. Having a common channel provides an outlet to call for distress due to a multitude of emergencies. This could range from an injury to someone lost in the backcountry.

Also, not everyone in your group has to change over to the emergency channel. For example, during avalanche rescue efforts, "if" there is enough assistance on scene, then one person can be designated to change channels and broadcast the emergency, while everyone else focuses on the rescue itself.

During emergencies, stress is high and mistakes are made so by designating an emergency channel, this provides a simple, easy, known channel for people to use and remember.

I think the emergency channel should be on a higher wattage channel...though the 9-11 is easy to remember. Not sure that's the most powerful channel though.

Agreed FatDog.

I think your missing the point of the emergency channel.

The idea is to have a "known channel" or common channel for emergency radio traffic. This is not only for individuals calling out but for rescue teams, groomer operators, emergency services...etc. to monitor or scan. This way the chances of a distress being heard is greatly increased.

You also have to think outside the box and not just the "avy" scenario. Having a common channel provides an outlet to call for distress due to a multitude of emergencies. This could range from an injury to someone lost in the backcountry.

Also, not everyone in your group has to change over to the emergency channel. For example, during avalanche rescue efforts, "if" there is enough assistance on scene, then one person can be designated to change channels and broadcast the emergency, while everyone else focuses on the rescue itself.

During emergencies, stress is high and mistakes are made so by designating an emergency channel, this provides a simple, easy, known channel for people to use and remember.

I agree with you on the wattage aspect but the 9-11 channel and obviously 9-11 is easy to remember. I think that is probably why several avy trainers have been leaning that way, as it it just easy to remember?

Honestly, I don't care what channel is chosen, there just needs to be a channel that everyone can remember, a channel that works and one that can be disseminated with ease.

I think the emergency channel should be on a higher wattage channel...though the 9-11 is easy to remember. Not sure that's the most powerful channel though.

Agreed FatDog.

I agree with you on the wattage aspect but the 9-11 channel and obviously 9-11 is easy to remember. I think that is probably why several avy trainers have been leaning that way, as it it just easy to remember?

Honestly, I don't care what channel is chosen, there just needs to be a channel that everyone can remember, a channel that works and one that can be disseminated with ease.

Yes, something that's universally known.

Other than facebook this is probably the biggest mountain riding market out there . .. why not get admins..moderators.. Christopher..- with help from other guys here with mtn. experience- to work out an acceptable channel and post it as a sticky on EVERY page on snowest???? .. . . .and I'm sure that can also translate over to Mtn. Sleddr swap, sledderz, etc. on facebook as well and we can cover 95% of the mountain riding crowd in very short time . . .thoughts?? . . .basically .. .lets stop talking about it and do it. . .we don't need some guvmint regulation to lead the way. . .we are it!

Last edited:
I didn’t realize channels 8-14 on a gmrs radio are frs .5 watts and other channels are 1.5 watts. Just saw this in my motorola talkabout user guide. My radios are a few years old.

I would say that an emergency channel which is 1.5 watts would be better.

We also know that the range in the mountains is significantly less than the manufacturers listed max range. I didnt realize how much less, until looking at my radio on motorolas site. Up to 27 miles from mountaintop to valley, up to 6 miles on open water and only 1.5 miles in an urban environment.

I would assume the stated ranges are based upon 1.5 watts so if using channels 8-14 we would only have .5 watts and range would be even less.

Maybe channel 1.0 (frequency is 462.5625 mhz) would be best? After all, if we are in an emergency situation we want as much range as possible and we would be happy if there were others on that frequency.

Wikipedia has a bunch of info on FRS (family radio service) and GMRS (general mobile radio service). Seems they have increased the number of watts allowed but only on gmrs channels. If true, only people who buy new radios would benefit.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back