• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rabbit ears, gore pass, spring creek

Heading out from Iowa with two other guys...Never been anywhere around here and curious if everything is rideable? We are staying in kremmling at Allington. How far do we trailer from there? Looked like half an hour or so. Anyone from the area that would show us around a bit? We are all experienced and have beacons.
Call me 3076775230 If anyone is interested in showing us around thanks

J
Jan 21, 2016
Dillon, CO
Heading out from Iowa with two other guys...Never been anywhere around here and curious if everything is rideable? We are staying in kremmling at Allington. How far do we trailer from there? Looked like half an hour or so. Anyone from the area that would show us around a bit? We are all experienced and have beacons.
Call me 3076775230 If anyone is interested in showing us around thanks

I was there on Tuesday and the snow was pretty good. I think the base is still a bit thin because I hit a small stump, but overall the coverage is good; I didn't hesitate to break trail. I would highly recommend downloading the "Avenza Maps" app for your phone. Once its installed go to the link below (on your phone) then open the PDF US Forrest service map with the Avenza app. The PDF is geo referenced and will show you your location on the map even when your offline. You can also record your tracks. Its useful for finding the parking lots, keep you from getting lost and it will keep you in legal territory . I would be happy to meet up with you but I'm out of town right now (unless you are coming after the 5th). I've never explored even a fraction of the whole riding area, but I like the bowls on the highway side of the Rabbit Ears. I'm sure some other guys can chime in and give better advice on where to ride.

Good Luck!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5274222.pdf

Reactions: Pro-8250

rags319

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2009
Cedar Rapids, Ia
I was there on Tuesday and the snow was pretty good. I think the base is still a bit thin because I hit a small stump, but overall the coverage is good; I didn't hesitate to break trail. I would highly recommend downloading the "Avenza Maps" app for your phone. Once its installed go to the link below (on your phone) then open the PDF US Forrest service map with the Avenza app. The PDF is geo referenced and will show you your location on the map even when your offline. You can also record your tracks. Its useful for finding the parking lots, keep you from getting lost and it will keep you in legal territory . I would be happy to meet up with you but I'm out of town right now (unless you are coming after the 5th). I've never explored even a fraction of the whole riding area, but I like the bowls on the highway side of the Rabbit Ears. I'm sure some other guys can chime in and give better advice on where to ride.

Good Luck!

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5274222.pdf

That's cool. Sometimes wonder if we are in legal territory. This will help. Don't have a link for steamboat lake area or Cam'ron pass area do you. Or know were I can go to download it. Thanks.

J
Jan 21, 2016
Dillon, CO
That's cool. Sometimes wonder if we are in legal territory. This will help. Don't have a link for steamboat lake area or Cam'ron pass area do you. Or know were I can go to download it. Thanks.

This is topic probably needs a new sticky thread started so I will try not to go off on a tangent and just provide the Maps. As a general rule all the maps I get are provided by the ranger district for the specific area that I'm riding in a given national forest. Some are good and give detailed info (eg Rabbit Ears Pass), and some of them just suck and leave it up to the user. They are all difficult to find. The best way I have found to search is figure out the riding area and google it to see if they have produced a nice map for the end user like the steamboat map; I have found some have specific maps produced but they aren't geo ref'd so they won't work in the app (vail pass). If you can't find one of these the next best thing is to figure out the ranger district that you are riding in and get the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for that area; they can normally be found on the national forest website or by googling it (Dillon Ranger District MVUM). Some districts like the Dillon Ranger District give a Winter MVUM that will show snowmobile areas on them. I have found that all the MVUMs are Geo Ref'd and will work the the PDF Map app. I have found that almost every district has a summer MVUM but only a few have a winter version. For these areas I have the policy that if its not explicitly stated "no snowmobiles" or not in a wilderness area its fair game. Its crazy to me that in 2016 with all the mapping technology its this hard to figure out where you can and can't ride. If someone has an easier method please share. So here goes:

Cameron Pass Geo Ref. Map - this map isn't as good as the rabbit ears map. The forest service says:

"Snowmobiling is allowed outside of designated wilderness areas. Roads that provide snowmobiling include the Laramie River Road (County Road 103), the Greenridge Road (Forest Road 177), and the Long Draw Road (Forest Road 156). The Colorado State Forest State Park offers snowmobiling as well."

So anything in the lighter shade of green should be fair game. It also looks like part of the riding area is in a state park so you might have to track down that map.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5446937.pdf

Steamboat lake looks like its part State Park, part National Forrest. I've never been there but I'm assuming that the off trail riding is in Routt NF in the Parks Ranger District. The link below is for the Geo Ref'd MVUM. The second link is for the groomed trail routes map that's not Geo Ref'd; the groomed trails correspond to roads on the MVUM.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3837542.pdf

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ClubExpres...d1.jpg&Signature=3AZ6PUGaXNDkzmVwqFZdyK0R0G4=

I also have a bunch of KMZ files that for the riding area maps overlay on google earth. They are good for checking out terrain/trees for finding good areas to ride. I will post if anyone is interested in a particular area.

Sorry for the post hijack.

~Josh

Premium Features