• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question on oil pump turn up

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
We turned the oil up three turns on the 2013 800 and left the 2014 800 alone. Replaced both stock oil caps with the BRP XPS oil caps last year. I think the 2013 has 2600 miles on it now.
The 2013 gets it's fair share of abuse. :eyebrows:

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Most don't take into account the oil is directly related to throttle position. Most meter their oil consumption when new for first few rides, with usually less snow and mainly on trail breaking it in. The motor isn't loaded hard, not on the throttle much, etc. This is when 50:1, 60:1, maybe even 70:1 isn't bad, not gonna seize anyway. BUT then when the real snow hits and your riding the steep n deep with throttle pinned, you blow your engine. They're lean from the factory to pass emissions. I have yet to see a pro yet from factory, mine or otherwise that did not need 3 turns to be safe when your really riding hard. Mine have been between 57:1 and 75:1. Worst case scenario you foul some plugs if too rich, if happens again then lean it out a turn. And an FYI, adding oil to your tank on the pro does nothing for helping you out in the lube dept. Talk to someone who really understands the injection system of the pro engine and they will verify this, not gonna go into all the details of why and start an argument thread. In fact adding oil to fuel actually leans out the engine even more and increases your chances of having problems. The oil your adding to tank displaces fuel, leaning the mixture at injection point in the engine even more.

Youre partially right, the oil does displace fuel. However, at a pint to 10 gallons, 80:1 mixture isnt going to change the mixture enough to change anything. If youre nervous about it run non ethanol fuel in ethanol mode.

Far as it not helping, again, partially right. It wont help the bottom end much, but it will keep the piston and cylinder better lubed. The injector injects fuel right in the loop port, as transfer is occuring, then right into the top end. It cant help but lubricate the piston/cylinder...

Premium Features