• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question about cooling on a 440 motor

M

mezz250x

I have a pulling tractor with two 440 Polaris VES motors on it. I'm currently stripping it down for paint and am looking at ways to lose weight on the tractor so i can put more weights where i want them. The motors are currently both plumbed into an atv radiator at the front of the tractor which sits behind the weight box, so it really gets no air anyways, and we only get up to about 15mph during a pull. The only benefit i can see is the added capacity. But if could dump the radiator and the mess of coolant lines i can lose about 8-10lbs i figure, which is huge in the pulling world, moving 2 lbs on this tractor can make or break a pull.

Anyways, what do you guys think of just running the coolant line on each motor from the water pump directly to the head with an in-line radiator cap so it can vent if it were to get hot? It has never overheated before, but i realize that im taking away alot of coolant capacity. If i did this i would also put in-line temp gauges in and run straight water with water wetter since antifreeze runs hotter.

Input or ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!!

How long does the motor run in a given round? The drag guys use cool down boxes. You put quick connects on the radiator hoses that go into a cool box (cooler with ice water in it) with a pump, like a swamp cooler pump. Cool the motor down good with the cool box. Then start it, pull up to the line, make your run, come back to the pits and cool it down again.

I just don't know how long you can get away with running it before it overheats.

sled_guy

Premium Features

Back