• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

QD2 Install "heads up"

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Just an FYI when installing a QD2 gear and belt on a '20 and earlier sled.

Look at the video and the backing plate fin. What I am bringing to attention is NOT the gear or the shaft, but rather the gear hitting the backing plate
I did not know this, but glad I ran across it when I was installing mine.
Figured I would post it here because some may not peruse the Axys forum anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: Boreal

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
My 19 needed nothing also, the qd2 gear also fits the shaft alot better then my stock gear and the pro ride gears that I had before.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
The lower gear does not need to be filed it's the same shaft part #s.

My 19 needed nothing also, the qd2 gear also fits the shaft alot better then my stock gear and the pro ride gears that I had before.

it is not the gear, or the shaft.

the gear hits the fin protrusion on the backing plate. it is clearly shown in the video above.
on my sled, the gear hit that fin before it bottomed out where it should ride on the shaft.

you guys should double check

• Wow
Reactions: 208_RMK and mtncat1

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
just checked. that backer piece does indeed have a different part number for '21

'20: 1333116
'21: 1334431

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I just checked my qd2 on my 19. And the back of bottom gear clears the backing plate and fins, not by much 1/8". Got 6 rides on it, so far so good.

Reactions: LPIdaho

Golanda

Lifetime Membership
Aug 18, 2015
Bozeman Mt & Pinedale WY
The QD2 gear is a little larger and can interferes with the fins in the back plate. Videos of the 2021 with the QD2 shows this area has been relieved by Polaris. Apparently some folks do not have this interference however at least three of us installing QD2s have. I removed maybe a 1/4 to 1/8 inch depth of material over a one inch length to eliminate the gear rubbing.

I'd recommend installing the new lower gear without the belt and check this area with a playing card or something thin to assure you do not have interference then check it again after installing the gear. I would also look for metal filing in this area after running the gear the first time.

After I relieved this area I used a card to verify I didn't have the interference anymore.

A better picture of the 2021 QD2 backing plate (front lower) might be helpful. Please post a pic if you have a 2021 with factory installed QD2.

The relief in the new 2021 sleds is visible in this video at 58 sec https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVOLvCUOvRc
and here at 4:58

Last edited:

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
The QD2 gear is a little larger and can interferes with the fins in the back plate. Videos of the 2021 with the QD2 shows this area has been relieved by Polaris. Apparently some folks do not have this interference however at least three of us installing QD2s have. I removed maybe a 1/4 to 1/8 inch depth of material over a one inch length to eliminate the gear rubbing.

I'd recommend installing the new lower gear without the belt and check this area with a playing card or something thin to assure you do not have interference then check it again after installing the gear. I would also look for metal filing in this area after running the gear the first time.

After I relieved this area I used a card to verify I didn't have the interference anymore.

A better picture of the 2021 QD2 backing plate (front lower) might be helpful. Please post a pic if you have a 2021 with factory installed QD2.

The relief in the new 2021 sleds is visible in this video at 58 sec https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sVOLvCUOvRc
and here at 4:48

i wonder why some need and others do not?? mine needed it

i did however, install my steel driveshaft from my sks. i wonder if that has anything to do with it

Golanda

Lifetime Membership
Aug 18, 2015
Bozeman Mt & Pinedale WY
I don't think it has anything to do with the driveshaft, mine is stock. It looks like all three of us that had to trim down the backing plate installed the QD2 on a 2020 sled. That might or might not be key.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I'm liking the qd2 ratio alot, more snap when you need to get doing and clutch heat has also dropped.

D
Nov 17, 2008
I would be interested to know if the people who have had to file to get the clearance noticed where the belt ran on the bottom gear when done. If the belt runs out from the inside of the lower gear would it not maybe be better to put a thin shim on the lower gear between it and the bearing. I would rather the belt ran as close to the inside of the lower gear as possible without rubing the lower gear flange. Thanks for any imput

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
If anyone is running e start with the qd2, you will have to grind the battery bracket down a little bit as I noticed it rubbed my belt a bit.

Thanks for the heads up - I have estart and checked the clearence, no grinding needed for battery bracket. I have 20' 155 track if that matters.

Have you ran the qd2 yet? If so how do you like it?

Last edited:
Premium Features