• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pump gas turbo boost spikes

M

meakin46

i am running an BD pump gas setup on an 09 m8 and pretty much since day one i have had boost spikes any where from 7.5 to 10 pounds when the controller in set at its lowest setting which is normally around 5 pounds, these spikes only happen when i hold it wide open for a fairly long time and when this happens the gauge flashes ecu 2-3 which is the detonation sensor and the engine feels like it is hitting a rev limiter, runs awsome besides this, has anyone had or heard of this problem? any info would be great.
Thanks, Nic

Last edited:
You can remove the check ball and spring from the input side of your TurboSmart control to reduce spikes, but I think you have something else going on here. It doesn’t sound like your waste gate is operating correctly. Maybe a bad boost contoller or some crossed lines. Contact Justin at Code Red(SNOW JW). If he doesn't know already he will find out for you.

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?s=file_download&id=199

no blow off valve and i tryed taking out the ball and spring but it still does the same thing, i do run a gallon or 2 of av gas but i guess that isnt quite enough, i will try tallking to justin, thanks guys

maybe a leak in your boost line or something, check that, that would cause your wastegate to close when it should be open causing boost spikes, simple things like a $5 line with a pinhole in it can cause bad troubles.

I have Wastegates that will allow you to start at 3 psi of boost and go up from there, if you cant get your wastegate to go low enough.

i am going to check all the lines to see if a can find any leaks and its not that the waste gate wont go low enough because average boost is around 5 pounds it only goes higher when i hold it wide open for to long

Meakin46
Just wondering how much boost can you run with that kit (max boost) at around 7000 ft if you were running some 112 octane fuel to be safe? Even 50/50. Can you run 10 lbs? If so that is awesome more than I thought with that kit. Sorry little off topic just did not want to start a new topic figured you would know the answer. Trying to decide between a pump gas kit and race gas kit for new m8 next season. Wanted to run around 12 lbs boost on a race gas kit but if you can get 10 out of a pump gas kit at 7000ft I would be happy with that I think.

im not 100% sure on what you can run for boost i have never ran mine past 5-6#s but from what ive been told from a few people is that yes you can get 10#s,and i believe that aguy at boondocker even told me that you can get as much as 12#s on full race gas but im not to sure about that, the turbo is the same as the race gas kit its just the fuel system that cant keep up, also if you were to buy one and you wanted more later on you can buy the upgades from boondocker (fuel pump,injectors,ect) for around $1000 more.

Premium Features

Back