• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pulse Induction Explanation

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I made the heater on a lathe with the help from M5. I wanted ultra compact for my setup. Lots of work to make it. Works very good thus far.

The valves are the same one skidoo uses. I bought them from a parts place in Canada called Royal distributing. Im sure any dealer can get them from Parts Unlimited etc.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
For sure. Rons number is 406 248 5595. He sure is a magnetic character ! He will explain things and clear up a lot of interesting things that happen in a regular carb. Tell him Chris sent ya !

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
SB and I made up 2 heat collars. We machined them on my lathe the I tigged the parts together a little more machining and voila. The valves SB used are a Doo part I believe, I used a different style I had lying around. The main advantages of our heater design is you get 360 degree heating and it is much more compact and adds only about 1/4 inch to your length. The other heaters on the market will not clear a CR500 steel frame so necessity became the mother of invention, I can't comment on an AF bike.

M5

Or you tilt and redrill and plug holes.. I went back to the standard Airbox after these pics were taken..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmvtgb9n73c8j6o/2014-11-24 17.29.58.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpx2jnrtbqy0otf/2014-11-24 17.30.09.jpg?dl=0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

P

partypete

Jun 20, 2013
I've been running the pulse carb since last summer. I was super impressed the first time I rode the bike. Other than the TWIRP porting it was the most impressive mod to the engine. cycle the engine with the kill switch on then kick and the bike usually fires first or second kick when it's cold. Right off the bat you can tell something is different in the way the engine idles, smooth and consistent.
got even better when you rode it. The power is smoother through the entire rpm yet at the same time pulling harder. Rode it back to back With a cr500 with regular carb. You don't realize how slow a stock carb revs, it felt a lot slower even though it had a hard midrange hit. The pulse felt like it revved faster kinda 250 like. You can actually feel every time the spark plug fires on a regular carb, pulse was smooth and fast! The over rev is better also. Just for example with the same gearing and same stretch of forest road the regular carb bike got going 91 mph on the GPS and my bike got to 91 faster and kept going to 96ish... That was the last time I looked at the trail tech.
It's super forgiving too. When I first got it ran fine with the jetting it came with. I went up 10 jet sizes just on the main and it runs like never before now. I had the main crank seal blow out this summer and other than it blowing smoke like a train it didn't run any different.

Running an avid carb heater and thermostat right now which is the only heater I can get to clear my AF frame. It flows lots of coolant but been having carb freeze still. No carb jacket, lots of snow dust ingestion, and super crazy powder is to blame. Will be resolving these issues shortly.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I have to say i am pretty happy with the Pulse so far. Especially the starting and idle. It is very very strong. Now is that the Pulse or the Millar magic ? Or both LOL

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
OK. just ordered one up for my cr500. Thanks SB for the writeup. What jetting specs are you using and elevation for winter/summer?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I was running a 190 main, 55 pilot, 4th clip on Rons richest needle. U wont notice altitude change. U will go from like a 185 main to a 200 and may not notice a thing lol. I ran Slavens idle and airscrew adjusters. I never had carb ice with my heater. I tried to run a stock CR airbox all cut out at the bottom as per Snowest help but i ended up cutting the whole back out of the box. When it got all the air it was awesome ! 610 BB wont touch it !

In the sand i went to a 205 main. When u get too big on the main it flattens out a little. I doubt u will touch the needle ever. So easy to tune. I made a couple little tools to change jets without removing the carb. Idles and starts 20x better than the Smartcarb joke !

P
Oct 11, 2010
I don't suppose Ron has a website, or email does he?

The pics don't look like the stock PJ carb, is he using the PWK?

Also, is this a send it in, get it back deal or does he sell them outright?

Thanks

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yes you can get a hold of Ron by phone. He is too old for a website Ha Ha. His number is 406 248 5595 or email pulseintake@outlook.com. You can send a carb to him or he can supply a new one or a used one. Depends on what he has on hand. PWK carbs are easy to get but it must be a Airstriker with the bat wings. I found using the short PWK out of a YZ or RM to be good for use with a carb heater flange. It is about 1/2" shorter than a regular PWK airstriker and i blocked the TPS port with a bolt and nut. I use a regular PWK pulse for my sand setup. It fits the pulse intake and carb with flange very nice in the steel CR500 frame with stock airbox.

The Pulse 38 will flow much more air than a 39.5-40mm. Ron will explain it all. He is super informed about the regular carbs and metering carbs on the market. The Pulse works great. It isn't susceptible to altitude change like a regular PWK carb. I run the same jetting from 2000'-7000' and all that gets adjusted is the aircrew which leans/richens the entire fuel circuit. I have never changed the needle on the snow. Once it is set with the right pilot and BIG main you are set. I have yet to take my carb off or even turn the carb to adjust. I had my baseline set in a day and it runs excellent. My last carb was nowhere near as easy to setup and didn't run nearly as well.

Talk to Ron !

R
Sep 30, 2019
Is he still making parts? I'm interested to add pulse induction to my CR 500 which I'm building here in Finland... but still waiting for him to reply the e-mail. I could CNC machine the parts myself too if I had drawings.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm pretty sure Ron actually had a stroke so is no longer making parts. His brother shut down the business for him a few years back I think was how it went

Premium Features