• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Protecting Side Panels from Ski Boots

T

thedudeabides

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 28, 2014
West Arvada, CO
Was curious to hear/see what sled skiers do to protect side panels from ski boots. Yesterday I was doing a little freeriding before picking up my buddy after his run when I kicked a hole in the right side panel with the toe of my ski boot.

2015-Ski-Doo-Summit-X-163-Boot-Hole.jpg

R
Mar 16, 2010
+another. I've got somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 miles on sleds in ski boots (and almost any time my sleds get ridden, the operator is wearing ski boots), zero damage like that.

I _have_ ground almost all the way through a couple of pairs of shells, though. I've started putting thick layers of epoxy in the "high wear" areas.

I've only had my XM a year; it has about 800 miles on it, probably 600 with ski boots on. Panels look fine.

scootdog

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2011
SF Bay Area Now, Tahoe soon
No damage to my side panels either.

Boots that's another story, my current pair is thrashed from running boards.

In market for new boots. What have you guys seen that last? Looking at tecnica cochise, Lange, k2, or salomon. All have hike/walk mode and replaceable soles.

T

thedudeabides

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 28, 2014
West Arvada, CO
No damage to my side panels either.

Boots that's another story, my current pair is thrashed from running boards.

In market for new boots. What have you guys seen that last? Looking at tecnica cochise, Lange, k2, or salomon. All have hike/walk mode and replaceable soles.

going on 2nd year with scarpa freedom sl's and they're my favorite so far. had bd factors prior. the scarpas are great in walk mode and extra stiff in ski mode. easy to transition from walk to ski and back. the toe and heel are replaceable w/ rubber soles on the bottom. they have the tech toe and heel (i put a custom heel adapter installed to make them work w/ dynafit beast bindings, which i've been very pleased w/). heat molded liner and custom footbeds make for the best boot my foot has ever been in. i did a lot of research last year before buying them, so i wouldn't consider myself up to speed on what has come out since. i know touring bindings have come a long way in the last few years (i see a marker has one w/ tech toe/alpine heel) but boots probably haven't changed much.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
Mines the other way around, my sled nukes my ski boots

KzmsjkK.jpg

Premium Features