• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proclimb M8 turbo. 2871 or 2860?

S

samsquatch47

I plan on running straight AV most times so I hear I can get away with about 10 psi with my Bikeman turbo head on the 2012 M8. Was recommended the 2860 for the M8 as the 71 was said to be too laggy. I loved the 71 on my impulse Nytro compared to the 60 but was also running 21psi so I needed one to achieve that level efficiently. Has someone tried a 2860 and a 71 on a M8? What's your thoughts? Have heard good reviews about the new GTX series but have also heard they aren't worth the extra $500 from someone who has both.
Plan on running a TSS kit with Boost-it fuel system, water to air, C3 belt drive at 6-9000 feet.
Thanks

Last edited:
I have a tial 2871 on mine. Love it. Super fast spooling. I have my sled up for sale but I'm thinking I may part the turbo out if someone were interested. I've got the boost it controller and koso digital afr and boost guages. 3 days riding on the whole thing. Pm me if ur interested!

You consider a Comp oil-less turbo? Save a little weight.
I've heard some good things about them.
Just sounds like they take a few rides to get broke in.

3071 internally gated dropes in place for BOTH of those. its better in every aspect. better more linear power, and lots more on the big end.

You consider a Comp oil-less turbo? Save a little weight.
I've heard some good things about them.
Just sounds like they take a few rides to get broke in.

Heard of them. But seen a brand new one in Revy seized this year, and no one around had parts for one cause they are so new. Going to go with the tried and true Garrett.

3071 internally gated dropes in place for BOTH of those. its better in every aspect. better more linear power, and lots more on the big end.

So your saying go with an even bigger turbo then the 2871? Isn't that over kill when my max boost is only 10-12 psi? This is not going to be a chute 174 sled, it's going to be my do everything sled. Interested to hear why u say even bigger.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone on here say they went to a bigger turbo on a 2 stroke and didn't like it. What does TSS say on the subject?

TSS says for the boost I'm planning to run the bigger turbo is a waste. The
2860 will easily make 12 psi and is the fastest spooling for the desired boost. 71 is just over kill unless I really beef up the motor to run big boost.
They've tried the 60, 71 and gtx series turbos on the M8 and the 60 they said is the snappiest which is what I want coming off a front mount impulse. Which was instant for boost.

I've run both the 2860,and the 2871 on M8's

I had a boondocker 2860, and currently a Twisted 2871, I like the 2871 a lot better, don't feel their is much difference in lag time , if any maybe 1 second if that, but the 2871 pulls a lot harder. both sleds were 09 m8's . 1 was a 153", the other a 162"(current) this is the way i look at it my 2871 is putting out the same HP at 7 PSI as my 2860 was putting out at 10 psi

get the 2871 with tial, and be done with it

best bang for your buck.

So your saying go with an even bigger turbo then the 2871? Isn't that over kill when my max boost is only 10-12 psi? This is not going to be a chute 174 sled, it's going to be my do everything sled. Interested to hear why u say even bigger.

I have worked with a buddy and we did a poo 800 motor in a tube chassis and did the following combos and it only got better every time we changed.

2871 .86 exhaust housing. 7-8#... ran really good, consistant, smooth power.

3071-wg-.64 exhaust housing (this is the internally gated 3071, with not fullsize exhaust wheel) worked even better, pulled same clutching at 4-5# of boost. and more linear out of hole all the way to full throttle, felt less turbod and more like a BIG bore.

fullsize 3071, Tial .64 exhaust housing, external wastegate and 3" mandrel charge tube that y'd into the motor. pulled same clutchign at 3.3# of boost. Even smoother, more linear, and unreal power on the top for low boost.

To give you an idea, We just built a nytro, 3071 external gate .64 housing, running 11.5# of boost and snapped a rod with no deto. the rods are good to ~270 horse. stock motor is 130 horse. you do the math, instant response, and STUPID power on the top end. fastest sled i have ever ridden hands down.

king of the hill and King of Kings was one with the 2860 GTX in Jackson Hole Wyoming just saying on Arctic Cat turbos stock motors
jackson is rider. any of the turbos i mentioned would get them over just as fast, just depends whos piloting. the tapio crew could put a kitty kat over the top faster then most people.

hell, we also ran that sled with a 66 aero, slowest spooling laziest of them all. but very abrupt when it comes on so feels like it hits hard and makes power.

Is it jus the billet wheels that make it a gtx?? Can a normal 2860 be converted with just a gtx center section then or are housings dif too??

How can a bigger turbo produce the same hp @ 7 psi as a smaller one @ 10psi???
I understand that a smaller one produce more heat and that will take away some hp. But is there any other things that come to play?

Best running M8 Ive ever seen by far was a OVS tial 3071, exploded outta the hole, the owner was down in the low 3,000 rpm area for engagement and it would ignite the track when he took off!!! He was wanting to get it into the upper 2K rpm range to tame it down!!!!

2 strokes need CFM! They want air and lots of it!!!! Boost is just a measure of backpressure!

A bigger turbo can make more CFM at a lower turbine wheel RPM if sized correctly (comp/exh/turbine, charge tube, airbox, motor displacement) you can have a motor that potentially "lights" faster with a larger turbo, Has cooler denser air charge which is better for power, deto resistance, and reed life.

Last edited:
Best running M8 Ive ever seen by far was a OVS tial 3071, exploded outta the hole, the owner was down in the low 3,000 rpm area for engagement and it would ignite the track when he took off!!! He was wanting to get it into the upper 2K rpm range to tame it down!!!!

2 strokes need CFM! They want air and lots of it!!!! Boost is just a measure of backpressure!

A bigger turbo can make more CFM at a lower turbine wheel RPM if sized correctly (comp/exh/turbine, charge tube, airbox, motor displacement) you can have a motor that potentially "lights" faster with a larger turbo, Has cooler denser air charge which is better for power, deto resistance, and reed life.

Now that's some food for thought! Very interesting....

Premium Features

Back