• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Coating ?

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Mine lives here :)
IMG_0584.jpg

Another point DO NOT use your oven in your kitchen (obviously I thought, just though I'd point it out.) The door on that oven was originaly clear. Lots of awesome fumes are also part of this process.

Also, wear a dust mask. The first day I started coating, I didn't wear one. This powder is very, very fine and you'll be coughing it out for days if you don't wear one.

EDIT: As far as oven selection, the eastwood powders I use only need to get up to 375*F, for the first part of the process. I got that little convection oven off of ebay for $40. 12"x9"x18" (Depth x height x width)

Last edited:
C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
You guys are A-holes....

now I am FORCED to buy an oven and kit. I just cant do it right now. I am always looking for reasons not to do something myself, but those parts you guys posted up give me no more reason to have someone else do it since I could do it myself with decent results. Those parts look good enough for me to run into trees with all day long!

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anchorage, AK
The starter kit from eastwood also includes a nice book to get you started, but like I said, it's a really easy process.

One problem I did run into while doing motorcycle parts is that lots of parts are already powdercoated clear from the factory (no idea about sleds...) I just coated over the clear. To do a proper job however, you'd need to blast the parts first. The powder does wear off in high wear areas, but touch ups are easy. The only parts that have shown wear on my bike are where my boots rub.

BackCountryBasics

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
www.backcountrybasics.com
Advanced Powder Coating Llc
9174 W Business Park Dr
Big Lake, AK 99652

Local: 907-892-3200

Talk to Mark (or Skidmarks on the forums). He is actually right outside of Wasilla

He does an incredible job. In fact I have yet to see the quality he produces down here in the lower 48! It is worth the drive to the valley. I wish he was here to do my tunnel;)!

Premium Features