• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Portage/Placer/20 Mile Area.?.?.?

K
Jan 23, 2009
Hello all, I am thinking of taking my family (wife and 9 Y.O. son, both experienced riders) down to the portage/placer/20 mile area, near the corner where you go around the inlet headed up towards Turnagain. I have never ridden down in that particular area and am looking for any suggestions or recommendations where to go/not to go. I always see a ton of people down their and really would like to explore where everyone goes. I heard some ride back to a glacier back in the valley, but not really sure. Any help or suggestions you could or might be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated. They are both experienced but I don't want to go super extreme for the first ride back there, I'd like to get a little familiar with that area before going to extreme. Thanks for all your help and advise in advance.

Koeck

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Well I would suggest that if your going on the weekend you get there early to get a decent parking spot, either next to the bridges or at the ingram creek lot before you go up into T pass. You can ride the skookum drainage, squirrel flats, grandview, or just the valley floor. Your son and wife may be good riders, but grandview is probably out of the question (if the there is even enough snow to get into it this year) Squirrel flats requires a long steep climb that your family may or may not be able to to. Depends.

I would say skookum is your best shot for a fun ride with your fam. Watch for lots of open creeks and possibly crevasses if you end up on the glacier.

P.S. Skookum drainage closes to snowmchiners March 31st

P
Jan 8, 2008
aK
Unless that wet snow settles i would keep on a trail. Skookum is deep at the moment. 5-6' in places of wet sticky, and snow forcast for the next couple days. The warm temps should settle things down a bit. Yesterday was a stuckfest though.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Hello all, I am thinking of taking my family (wife and 9 Y.O. son, both experienced riders) down to the portage/placer/20 mile area, near the corner where you go around the inlet headed up towards Turnagain. I have never ridden down in that particular area and am looking for any suggestions or recommendations where to go/not to go. I always see a ton of people down their and really would like to explore where everyone goes. I heard some ride back to a glacier back in the valley, but not really sure. Any help or suggestions you could or might be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated. They are both experienced but I don't want to go super extreme for the first ride back there, I'd like to get a little familiar with that area before going to extreme. Thanks for all your help and advise in advance.

Koeck

If you ride placer..watch for creek/ditches..it is a fun pretty safe ride to just follow the valley back in ..interesting riding , good play areas, great views...I think squirrel flats is a bit much for anything less then a good rider(pretty steep coming back down and easy to loose control)I would park right at the corner coffee stand lot(just pass portage road) travel straight across the road and follow the mainpacked trail right along the base of the hills ...but always watch for creeks/ditches and be carefull around the railroad tracks(peeps ride them and that is not only illegal it is very dangerous)good luck...

Premium Features