• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Poorly written snowest article

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Just got the sept 2021 snowest. Always excited to get the new mags and skim the pages to see what’s out there while waiting for the season to start. Came across the article on page 30 written by steve janes comparing the riot x and hardcore 146 M8000. Pretty disappointed in the poor and wrong information presented. First thing that jumped out at me was when comparing tracks he says the hardcore comes with a 3” lug 3.5” pitch track. Obviously from the pics posted of the tracks they are both 2.6” lug 2.86 pitch tracks on both sleds. Cat doesn’t even offer the 146” in 3” lug version. The next thing is he doesn’t even mention the biggest thing that sets these two sleds apart, the narrow 36” front end on the hardcore and wide front on the riot x. If you’ve ever riden both these sleds (I have), you’ll know that the wide front on the riot really makes for a difficult boondocking mountain sled. Both are very fun sleds, the 146 track is amazing in more set up snow. Too bad this article grossly misrepresented these two great machines. I’ll assume he never really rode them, someone threw some pics on his desk and told him to write something and he threw an article together in 5 minutes. Snowest, you can do better.

9E87EDCD-4E21-41A3-B384-213417D99CA9.jpeg

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
my thoughts were that it seems like cat would get criticized for not having enough different sleds to fill certain niches, then when they introduce some sleds its just " oh these are too close to the same" or when the riot x was compared to other crossovers in a previous edition of the magazine it was too off trail oriented, well then compare it to the regular riot with the smaller track.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Riot X also has full length cooler in the tunnel right? weight difference in the two is significant i bet.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Yes, you’re right. Riot x only comes in electric start, the hardcore e-start is optional. That’s about a 30lb hit for the e-start plus the e-start fuel tank is smaller.

Premium Features