• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris big bores of today?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
T8rz porting and performance

Wayde Johnson knows how to make a sled run, flat out. NO BS.
I've had his 910 in my Pro since about 2016. This big bore exposed bad motor mounts and pipe rubbing, which caused bad DET...once we cleaned that up...HOLY COW THAT BIG BORE IS FUN TO RIDE!!!!
He goes by Turbotater on here.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Who's making them and why don't we see a 1000 cc or bigger?

Pretty tough to have enough meat in the cylinders and skirts to make something bigger than a 910...unless it's a stroker.
Turbotater builds a 910 for the Pro and Axys. He's also got a stroker 962. BOTH are a blast.

I've ridden his stroker 962 in the Axys chassis at West Yelly in Jan of 2018.
OMG that thing is violent, and that was with a modified stock single pipe.
NOW he's got SLP Outlaw Twins on it. I can't wait to saddle that one next time I see him.

Last edited:

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Who's making them and why don't we see a 1000 cc or bigger?

In the late 90s we had real mod sleds and big motors. Union Bay, PSI Performance, Cutlers, Engine Tech and then the big watercraft based triples people home built.. 185-215 hp was not uncommon. I think the problem was the power output was way ahead of chassis design. The power output worked well even at lower elevations. But holy crap! The sleds were a beast to ride with only 6” of suspension travel.

I don’t see why Polaris would not invest in big displacement engines. It does not cost that much more to make a long stroke bigger bore engine based on the 840, if it is coming off the production line. There will be less moving parts to break and warranty than any turbo setup. A 1040 and 1240 coming off the production line would be perfect. Just don’t screw it up like the old 900 and don’t call the 840 a 850! An 840 is an 840!

I have been riding 840xcr on trails this season. I can barely hear it running at 60mph down the trail at 1/2 throttle. The engine is going to last forever only operating at 50% most of the day. With exhaust valves closed at 1/2 throttle it has great fuel range too. Of course it is fast when I want it to go!

Think about this.. Would I trade the V8 in my pickup for a 4 cylinder turbo gas engine and then drive it at 3/4 to full throttle down highway all day long?

NO WAY!

Your gonna wear it out quick, Its gonna be loud and it will eat gas! So auto designers put in a big engine and you drive at 1/4 throttle all day long and vehicles last seemingly forever now.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Biggest challenge will be teaching the young pro riders how to use the thumb flipper as a throttle and not a light switch. Brap on brap off

Smooth it out already!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I'm speculating that there may be an unofficial gentleman's agreement amongst the manufacturers to keep escalation of engine cc's at a manageable and profitable level?
Look at the pwc market. 300 hp machines that are no faster than 215 hp machines of over a decade ago.
Furthermore, we see very little demand for the 300 hp machines.
All that said, it is comparing apples to oranges and may have no relevance whatsoever.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Still love my old iron triple.. but I think turbo on modern fuel injected sleds killed the big bores. Along with new chassis.

A stock 800/850 mountain sled today would be a 24K sled ten years ago.
Modern 800+ class has Thundercat power and is a LOT lighter. Belt drives.. single ply tracks ++

Just don't see the market for them?

Oh, and I still dream about putting my PRICE triple in a IQr or Pro chassis!!

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
I'm speculating that there may be an unofficial gentleman's agreement amongst the manufacturers to keep escalation of engine cc's at a manageable and profitable level?
Look at the pwc market. 300 hp machines that are no faster than 215 hp machines of over a decade ago.
Furthermore, we see very little demand for the 300 hp machines.
All that said, it is comparing apples to oranges and may have no relevance whatsoever.

You need to look at the latest tech. You are thinking about 10 year old pwc. Yamahas latest factory pwc engines are 1800cc 4 cylinders w/ superchargers. They have cruise control left hand reverse lever and go 75mph out of the crate. Obviously that wont work for sleds since too heavy. But they sure tried!

The FX line is indeed selling and people are doing insanely long ocean runs. Seattle to AK as example.

I don’t think there is any gentlemen’s agreement. Its dog eat dog so build what will sell.

Skidoo has a limited high elevation market for turbos. Awesome but limited. How many ride 6500-12k ? The turbo doo will shine for sure.

Its cheaper to produce larger engines. Same parts just bigger.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Still love my old iron triple.. but I think turbo on modern fuel injected sleds killed the big bores. Along with new chassis.

A stock 800/850 mountain sled today would be a 24K sled ten years ago.
Modern 800+ class has Thundercat power and is a LOT lighter. Belt drives.. single ply tracks ++

Just don't see the market for them?

Oh, and I still dream about putting my PRICE triple in a IQr or Pro chassis!!

A new stock 800/850 mountain sled chassis could not have been built 15 or even 10 years ago. We tried! Big money spent. I agree on new tech being that good. But fact is we did build power to 200 hp without much problem.

New chassis with fuel injection on big displacement engines is what I would love too see.

Once a 1200cc twin goes by you wide open you will never forget it. Good or bad chassis..

Reactions: Norway

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
A new stock 800/850 mountain sled chassis could not have been built 15 or even 10 years ago. We tried! Big money spent. I agree on new tech being that good. But fact is we did build power to 200 hp without much problem.

New chassis with fuel injection on big displacement engines is what I would love too see.

Once a 1200cc twin goes by you wide open you will never forget it. Good or bad chassis..
I don't think we'll ever see 1200 Cc twins from the manufacturers.

• Wow
Reactions: Tewstroke

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You need to look at the latest tech. You are thinking about 10 year old pwc. Yamahas latest factory pwc engines are 1800cc 4 cylinders w/ superchargers. They have cruise control left hand reverse lever and go 75mph out of the crate. Obviously that wont work for sleds since too heavy. But they sure tried!

The FX line is indeed selling and people are doing insanely long ocean runs. Seattle to AK as example.

I don’t think there is any gentlemen’s agreement. Its dog eat dog so build what will sell.

Skidoo has a limited high elevation market for turbos. Awesome but limited. How many ride 6500-12k ? The turbo doo will shine for sure.

Its cheaper to produce larger engines. Same parts just bigger.
They do not go 75 out of the crate via coast gaurd. Modded they will do it

Reactions: cacsrx1

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Exactly.
I do wonder just what potential a 300 hp SeaDoo has for top speed with mods.
Faster than I wanna go!

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I just loved my triple 1029 even in a Gen II Polaris, always more power on tap.
And mine was properly done, could trail ride @ 5000-6000 rpm all day and when you stabbed the throttle it just exploded!
"No turbo ****, just real horsepower!"

Premium Features