• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pipe wrapping turbo m8

I have a 2010 m8 with a cutler turbo. Been thinking of wrapping exhaust pipe with header wrap. I've seen a couple done. Just wondering are there any cons ov this? Is it worth it? Does it keep to much heat in the pipe and cause high ex temps?

Pipe wrap.

That is why you wrap it ids to keep heart in the pipe and keep out of engine compartment. I do all my personal sleds.

Its easy and seemed to make a big difference in my underhood temps. However, be sure to smooth out any rough welds on the pipe before you wrap it. Any rough parts on the welds will cut right through the header wrap due to the engine vibrations and then you will have pieces of header wrap all over the engine compartment.

And you need a bunch, not just 15ft. I think I used almost 100ft. believe it or not. Someone on here suggested welding a bunch of "nubs" all over the pipe and then the wrap will actually grip the pipe better and not require so many wire ties. I did this and it helped a bunch. With the wrap and silicone spray you'll be into it $70 plus. It holds the heat awesome.

And you need a bunch, not just 15ft. I think I used almost 100ft. believe it or not. Someone on here suggested welding a bunch of "nubs" all over the pipe and then the wrap will actually grip the pipe better and not require so many wire ties. I did this and it helped a bunch. With the wrap and silicone spray you'll be into it $70 plus. It holds the heat awesome.

Silicone spray?

also when i did my pipe soak the wrap in water first. you can get a tighter wrap wet and also when it dries it shrinks so it gets nice and tight. first time i did it i didnt soak it and it didnt last very long.

I used the cheaper kind like posted above on Jegs site and it ended up falling apart after about half a season. I bought 50' of the 2" titanium header wrap after that and its lasted a few seasons now. I used hose clamps instead of safety wire to secure it as well. The safety wire would just cut the wrap and you can get those hose clamps super tight and re-tighten them whenever needed (the expansion/contraction of the pipe loosens stuff up after a while).

It works extremely well as in insulator, you can put your bare hand on the pipe after a good long run and not get burned. Another thing to note, leave room for your muffpot/hotdogger, nothing will cook if its on top of the wrapped section of the pipe.

Premium Features

Back