• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pipe Question

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
So here is my question, on the 700s people are claiming that the SLP pipe does little more than loose weight.

Would pulling the heat sheild cleaning the pipe/ypipe up and ceramic coating it accomplish the same thing?

I can have it done for a pretty good deal, would like to shed any weight I can and also clean up the looks under the hood.

Anyone see any problems with doing this?

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
I know you didn't ask or state this, but have you removed all of your side panel foam and heat shields? I left my pipe side on, and it warped my chain case cover. If you haven't I would do so.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
All the under hood foam was pulled last season, getting taped before I ride this year, jt performance can ( similiar in shape to HPS) so chaincase heating warping isn't much of an issue as the can is pretty far from the cover compared to stock. Going to heat tape it at the same time just to be safe.

B

Bkinz

May 14, 2009
Lewiston,ID
Ya, smart move doing it early. I'm getting the Super Q can this year, so I hope it is far enough away.

I
Jan 22, 2009
www.myspace.com
On my 700 i have taken all the heat shieds off the sides and have found no problems. I also have a SLP can on my sled, it takes a lot of weight putting the an and in your case the pipe. What I noticed putting the can on is a loader sound and a bit more performance. Although the perforance is dependent on each sled and the weight of the rider. I am a small guy so the sled run fast and more snappy that it would witha big guy on it.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
We were talking about this the other day over at your place and i forgot to put in my .02 about what i had read a couple years ago on this. Changing your pipe to ceramic coating changes the characteristics of it "they" claim. "They" say that sometimes you can lose performance by coating them since you are changing how the pipe's harmonic balances or whatever changes when it gets hot due to the ceramic coating. This is just some info that i had read, i'll try and dig up the info on it again.

Check some of these out...

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103359&highlight=ceramic+coat
http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47343&highlight=ceramic+coat

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I don't know who is claiming "little more than loose weight".

In Utah, if you have a bone stock 700RMK it won't pull the right run RPM with the stock weights. We dropped 2 grams on every 700RMK we tuned if it was left stock.

If an SLP single went on then the stock weights were left it and it would sign right at the perfect run RPM.

A Carl's Cycle 660 will beat a bone stock 700RMK in both a drag race and hill climbing. Put an SLP single on the 700 and they are identical performing sleds.

My reference is 6000-11000 feet elevation. We saw same results in Utah as well as in Island Park.

sled_guy

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Sled guy is right on , the 700 cfi with the SLP pipe and can plus air box kit and proper clutching is a very strong running mountain sled , alot of stock 800s (mostly other brands) are very surprised by these, next we are going to try the PCIII, heard it helped alot also. IMO

Last edited:
I

IDAHO HOT SHOT

Jan 21, 2009
South of Bellevue...way south
2 winters ago, I purchased the SLP single to put on my 08 700 on the way to a ride. When we got the parking lot, I tok the spring tool and swapped pipes. No clutching changes. I was running with an 05 900 166 and an 08 XP. Needless to say the XP was the highmark, but the 700, with stock clutching ran awesome. It was just higher than the 900. I got home and clutched it to spec and it did not run as well. I ended up using the stock weights and SLP spring.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
So here is my question, on the 700s people are claiming that the SLP pipe does little more than loose weight.

Would pulling the heat sheild cleaning the pipe/ypipe up and ceramic coating it accomplish the same thing?

I can have it done for a pretty good deal, would like to shed any weight I can and also clean up the looks under the hood.

Anyone see any problems with doing this?

I'm tellin you Bubba, I have the right parts for you...just say the word and I'll ship em;):D

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
In response to the original question of taking the heat shield and packing off the stock pipe and getting it ceramic coated....I think they look better but I have always understood that this stock setup insulates the pipe much better and your pipe stays at consistent temps more so than getting it ceramic coated. If the pipe is not staying at consistant temps than the exhaust flow/harmonic properties of the pipe will change affecting the performance. Just my thoughts??

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
...not sure on the 700's but on my 09 800 163 I chose the SLP pipe/can setup and was told that HP numbers would not be increased much more than 3-5......BUT you do shed alot of weight and the SLP pipe holds RPM's much better on a long pull over the stock pipe. Hold's 8300 all day long, never rode it with stock pipe for comparison however.

Premium Features