• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

perfect track length

N
Oct 11, 2015
Was wondering if there is a perfect lug length track length combination. Looking at 141 track by 1.6 lug. Looking for best of both worlds kinda.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Where do you ride In the mountains, trails, meadows? What type of snow do you normally ride in light powder, heavy wet powder, firm set-up snow, or icy condition? these all play a role in the "Perfect" length/lug combination.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
An XTX would be more than fine for the Prairies. But you'd probably want the 2.25 inch lug at least for the mountains.

There really is no perfect length.. The perfect length is having one of each in the garage ready to go!

But the Viper MTX 141 se would be a great sled for you I think.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
So I'd have a tough time in the mountains with the xtx then?

Depends on where you'd go I guess, and the snow conditions at that time.. but it is not a "mountain" sled. its a cross over. It tries to do everything OK. but it isn't a pure trail sled and it isn't a pure mountain sled. like I said the MTX would be a decent sled for you, or the XTX with a 2.25 track. I drove a Freeride 146 2.25 everywhere. I did a lot of trail, and a lot of deep snow. It wasn't the best at anything really, but it was a great crossover sled for me. I decided to sell it and buy a 121 for trail riding and a 153 for off trail riding.. I also got the 141 xtx for my wife. She loves trail riding but I wanted to get something she could be comfortable off trail with as well..

If you buy the MTX get some extra wheels for it and always use your scratchers. It will be a good sled for you I believe.

Is this your first sled? are you buying new?

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
I saw a post a while back that was talking about track length. The person who started the post was saying that he rode trails most of the time and would occasionally do some boondocking and may go to the mountains once or twice a year. I can't recall if they were talking Yamaha 4 strokes or not.

But that thread got me thinking. You can run a long track mountain sled on trails. It's not ideal and you're not going to be the fastest most nimble sled on the trail, but it works. It will get you from point A to point B. But running a trail track (121-136 with 1.5 in or less lugs) in deep powder would be a total mess bordering on un-doable. I've seen guys do it, but they have to keep it pinned all the time and keep their speed up or they're going to trench in.

I remember seeing a friends kid riding a new Polaris with a trail track a few seasons back. He's a really good rider and was running the hell out of that sled, but he was stuck all of the time. And this was set up spring snow with a fairly new, lightweight sled and this kid may have weighed all of 150 pounds. And he was a good rider. Any time he was trying to climb any kind of incline that wasn't tracked up and beat down really good, he was stuck. I remember seeing him at the base of a small hill with a shallow grade trying to get unstuck. It was heartbreaking to watch. He'd sidehill for a bit and as soon as he tried to turn it uphill, he'd trench in and have to dig out again. This went on for a good half hour. When he finally made it to the top, everyone cheered.

I ride an RX1 mountain. It is heavy as hell and came with a 151 track. I don't know what you know about the RX1 mountain, but the factory 151 track and suspension puts about as much track on the ground as a 144 from most other brands and it came with a 2 inch paddle. Everything went pretty well until I was on a winter moose hunt north of Fairbanks once and there was chest deep bottomless, fluffy powder. Any time I didn't have it pinned, I was trenched in and stuck. That was some of the most exhausting riding I have ever done. Needless to say, I decided to extend to a 162 track with 2.25 inch paddles after that trip and have been really happy with the additional flotation of the longer track. I can still ride it on trails, but I couldn't imagine riding back country with anything less than a 151 on that sled.

Now, the Viper is a different animal, but I agree with Motorbreath and wouldn't want anything less than a 2.25 inch paddle on it if you intend to any amount of back country riding. If it were me, I wouldn't go with anything less than a 153. If you are going to ride deep powder, flotation is a wonderful thing. And it will work on the trails, just not as well as a trail sled.

So that's my two cents. You can use a mountain sled on the trails, but are going to have a really hard time using a trail sled in the powder.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Any of the cross over sleds like the xtx work extremely well on the trail and will get you out there to get a taste of the mountains . They will not high mark anything nor will they sidehill rasmunsen style , but they will allow you to get out there with your machine that you can use everywhere. Just realize that there will be times you need to stay in someones track to get up some places. just make sure to get one with at least a 141 / 144 with a 1.6" to 1.75 " track lug.
They work well on trails and are a world better in the soft stuff than a 1.25
A couple trips a year to the mountains do not warrant a Mountain sled .
There are also some guys that run mountain sleds on the trails with cut down track lugs and change out to a powder track for the mountains, that may be a more extreme type of compromise .

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Started with two XTX, then converted to MTX. The 141 was ok but like said above you had to pin it to go anywhere in powder.

Red Viper got the narrow front end and a 2.6 paddle 153 Powerclaw.

Blue Viper got the narrow front end and 3 inch paddle 162 Camoplast X3

Red Viper rides everywhere including roads well, Blue Viper likes deep powder and hates everything else. To do it over 153 powerclaw 2.6 is my choice. For you I would think the 153 2.25 powerclaw would be ideal.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
If you're looking for the cheapest option, throw the 2.25" 141 on and call it good. With a turbo I think a 141 would be a blast and seriously considered building one this year. I opted for the 153 LE with a turbo, but we haul to the mountains and hardly see any trails. As far as trail riding, as some wheels to the skid. Scratchers will help but multiple days without off trail riding will eat the hyfax like crazy. I think you'd be fine without extending and just throwing on a deeper paddle, but I love the mobility of a shorter track

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features