• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PCV fuel pressure regulator or not?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
I was told by different people some saying run a fuel pressure regulator some said not to with the PCV. What do you guys recommend?

2007 M8 Push G kit turbo, RKT turbo domes, 2010 HO Pipe, pump gas on 8(maybe more) psi, thats the setup ill be running for the most part.

A fuel pressure regulator will be fine if you are mapped for that pressure. All of my maps are set up and designed to work around stock fuel pressure. I know SLP is the same. If you increase your fuel pressure by say 10%, then your map would be around 10% richer depending on load and injector duty cycle.

So theres basically no real need to install the fuel pressure regulator then, is there any downfall to running the stock setup in there?

On a turbo at 9 or more pounds of boost you could turn up the fuel pressure and then subtract fuel on the bottom end with the PCV.

I was told by different people some saying run a fuel pressure regulator some said not to with the PCV. What do you guys recommend?

2007 M8 Push G kit turbo, RKT turbo domes, 2010 HO Pipe, pump gas on 8(maybe more) psi, thats the setup ill be running for the most part.
For your setup, the stock regulator will work effectively.

The main reason that some would say you don't need a FPR with a PCV is because the Power Commander truly subtracts fuel. It will even provide a -100% fuel change effectively shutting the injectors off and killing the sled. Other controllers may not do this, so they instead choose to reduce the fuel rail pressure to clean up the sputtery bottom end common to many 2Stroke turbos. Secondary injectors may be required when slashing the Fuel Pressure to make up for the fuel load now lost when dropping base pressure.

In theory, it is always more "theoretically correct" to run a rising rate Fuel Pressure regulator, as this would increase the injection supply pressure on one side of your throttle blades the same as the now increasing air pressure entering your charge tube. This does allow you to run slightly higher boost levels as the Duty Cycle will not max out quite as soon as with the stock pressure.

As Eric stated, any pressure you wish to run will work - as long as you are mapped for it. Not using a rising rate FPR will result in slightly different mapping compared to using one.

~T.J.

another reason to run a fp reg. is to stay closer to your fuel needs.

if you have a fuel pump that is getting tired you will be controlling the fuel pressure after the rail so the injectors get the fuel first. some people say it doesnt matter. but for me when messing with high performance everything you can do to eleminate risk is what I want.

Premium Features

Back