• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PCV and AutoTune...FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

M

MTdream

Well, I am sure others are like me and been waiting for the day when you can set your sled to the level of insanity you want, and it always maps the fuel to that level for you...ragged edge or safe and secure...

Not just your daddies Fuel controller...and the closest thing to a Mass Air Flow Sensor we have ever seen in sledding...

PowerCommander V (replaces teh PCIII)

autotune_universal_fit_kit.jpg

Here are specs...

Power Commander V Product Introduction
The New Power Commander V is loaded with tons of new features. It is compatible with 2009 and newer bike models. Below you will find some Power Commander V features. •Reduced size from PCIIIusb (less than half of the size of PCIII)
•USB powered from computer (9 volt adapter is no longer needed for programming)
•2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included)
•Gear input (allows for map adjustment based on gear and speed)
•Analog input (allows user to install any 0-5 volt sensor and build an adjustment table based on its input such as boost or temperature)
•With gear position input connected the PCV is capable of allowing each cylinder to be mapped individually and for each gear (for example: on a 4 cylinder bike with a six speed transmission there could be up to 24 separate fuel tables).
•Unit has a -100/+250% fuel change range (up from -100/+100%). This allows more adjustment range for 8 injector sportbikes
•10 throttle position columns (up from 9 on PCIIIusb)
•Enhanced “accel pump” utility (increased adjustment and sensitivity ranges)

And here is the REAL secret sauce...Set a AFR and it will manage fuel to that level...

Once installed, the Auto Tune kit monitors the fuel mixture (by installing the included Wide Band O2 sensor in the exhaust). It then sends this information to the Power Commander V and automatically corrects it while you ride. Each map that we offer has preset Air/Fuel ratio values included that we find to be the best overall settings. This lets you simply plug in the unit and let it do the work

For advanced users that would like to change the Air/Fuel ratios from our baseline they are fully adjustable. Each throttle opening/rpm combination is individually adjustable, so that you can have both fuel economy, during cruise, while maintaining peak output at larger throttle openings. For most models of bikes it is also possible to adjust the Air/Fuel ratios "per gear". This gives you total control of the fueling in every gear and throttle/rpm area if required.

Here is a pic of the map...

autotune_graph_1_l.jpg

Have mine on order From Allen Ulmer (UlmerRacing.com) who is working out maps etc. for his boost kits....

cant say I can answer most or even a lot of questions but glad to try and maybe Allen will chime in and answer some...

for me this is a LONG time in the waiting!!!!

That's a nice looking fuel map based on AFR chart. :)

Well done to the folks at Power Commander !!

scmurs
:beer;

What about timing control, does it have it also. Might give rb3 a run for its money if it can do all that and use af number. Pretty cool

What about timing control, does it have it also. Might give rb3 a run for its money if it can do all that and use af number. Pretty cool

The PCIII has timing control so im sure its coming for this, if not out already. I really like the idea of the autotune. This is kind of like the rapid bike tuning bike except it is left on all the time vs just used to build a map and taken off. That and the tuning bike is over $4000 vs $250 for the auto tune. Kind of a no brainer really.

If this works for Ulmer Racing this year I will seriously look at this setup for my Powderlites kit for next year. If I can get the rb3 to work the way i want i might leave it but right now im not 100% happy with it.

Maybe rapid bike will come out with something more reasonably priced though since it is a direct competitor of power commander. Competition is a good thing.:D

I should elaborate a bit on the auto tune. I would not trust it to make adjustments to my boost columns. Even a few milliseconds of delay while it adjusts fueling could be destructive to your engine(detonation). The auto tune will work wonders for part throttle tuning, which is the hardest to do. Boost tuning is quite easy really. Add lots of fuel and as long as its not above 12.5 you are good to go:beer;

I am waiting for the PCV and Auto tune also, for a Nytro, when will they show???? Does anybody have one on a R1 or R6 that can shed some light?Sure sounds COOL!!! Thanks to Allen for the help!
CV

I should elaborate a bit on the auto tune. I would not trust it to make adjustments to my boost columns. Even a few milliseconds of delay while it adjusts fueling could be destructive to your engine(detonation). The auto tune will work wonders for part throttle tuning, which is the hardest to do. Boost tuning is quite easy really. Add lots of fuel and as long as its not above 12.5 you are good to go:beer;

yes that is true, and I am not intelligent enough to speak to how the boost is programmed, but know that they have it figured out...I know it is sensing pressure, but not sure how real time the fuel input is...

as to the other question...the first ones Allen will be shipping are designed for the Nytro...not sure if it works with other Yammie stuff or not, just ignorant...

yes that is true, and I am not intelligent enough to speak to how the boost is programmed, but know that they have it figured out...I know it is sensing pressure, but not sure how real time the fuel input is...

as to the other question...the first ones Allen will be shipping are designed for the Nytro...not sure if it works with other Yammie stuff or not, just ignorant...

Im sure they have it figured out im just not that trusting. I know when i was had my boosted honda civic there was an autotune setting and it was not used by very many people. I even ran my car open loop but it was a lot easier to tune part throttle on the car than a snowmobile. I did all my car tuning on the street doing 4th gear pulls for boost columns and then driving around normally for part throttle columns. The software would show you where you needed to make changes and then you would do them on the fly with your laptop. Of course the software for the car makes a snowmobile fuel system look about 100 years older.

It would be good to find out what sort of delay they have between when the o2 sensor reads the value to where the PCV makes the fuel change. Im sure PC would have an idea of what that might be.

yeah, Am sure we can find out...however you can also data log for actual fuel and correction etc. So you can throw in a chip, and just log data to do the same thing...you dont have to do teh AutoTune...

I also have the LCD screen that you can get, so you can see it live what is happening...and if you want switch on and or off the autotune...but for me, I hope to never touch it...

I know they have had the PCIII working with boost for years...So, I would guess they have the timing thing figured out...DynoJet is not a small little puddle in this space...

Can you LCD screen handle wet/cold temperatures? Its definitely going to improve things for the boosted community. Keep us posted!

Well, I am sure others are like me and been waiting for the day when you can set your sled to the level of insanity you want, and it always maps the fuel to that level for you...ragged edge or safe and secure...

Not just your daddies Fuel controller...and the closest thing to a Mass Air Flow Sensor we have ever seen in sledding...

PowerCommander V (replaces teh PCIII)

autotune_universal_fit_kit.jpg

Here are specs...

And here is the REAL secret sauce...Set a AFR and it will manage fuel to that level...

Here is a pic of the map...

autotune_graph_1_l.jpg

Have mine on order From Allen Ulmer (UlmerRacing.com) who is working out maps etc. for his boost kits....

cant say I can answer most or even a lot of questions but glad to try and maybe Allen will chime in and answer some...

for me this is a LONG time in the waiting!!!!

Is this a piggy back system , does it do timing or just fuel , sounds alot like the RB3 box , the auto tune box sounds like the Tune bike box for the RB3 ??

Can you LCD screen handle wet/cold temperatures? Its definitely going to improve things for the boosted community. Keep us posted!
yes, ran my LCD last winter for a while, no issues, except normal physical limitations at -30+ course I am not sledding at those temps anyway...

When the sensors fail, and they will with leaded race fuels or avgas on turbo sleds it would lose its management to tune correctly. That alone would lead me to not using this product. There is one similar out for bikes and we have seen a few take a dump just this summer, not impressed so far so its not going anywhere near a ride i build.

Just a question. Once the closed loop system has established a map, could you not unhook the closed loop from the a/f gauge and run it.

All of the open systems out there use a fixed fuel and timing setting that you set and forget, why would this be different than that once the closed loop configuration has established a good map for you?

Just a question. Once the closed loop system has established a map, could you not unhook the closed loop from the a/f gauge and run it.

All of the open systems out there use a fixed fuel and timing setting that you set and forget, why would this be different than that once the closed loop configuration has established a good map for you?

BINGO...

Once you have a map you can actually toggle between multiple maps...There is a fairly extensive logging system on this...it saves all data to a SD chip, and you could actually build a map on the hill if you wanted to...

As to the leaded sensors issue...it does happen, not nearly as often as we tend to think it does, but you will blow out Bosch probes...but as Racin mentioned simple solution...

you will clearly know if you are having a sensor issue if you have the LCD screen...

one thing I wish they did have with this though was some sort of anti detonation thing...

could they not just build a port to plug in an A/F gauge like an AEM on the module? Seems like they would just have to add another pig tale with the proper plug in ? Even if the sensor takes a dump you should notice it right away like crappy PL box right ?

it already has the ability to add an additional analog function....keep in mind, your basic AEM is using virtually the same AFR probe (Bosch) as the PCv is using...So, if you have issues today, your going to have issues tomorrow...

So, the argument that it is useless because of the failure of the AFR probe...well all boosted machines are equally impacted by that...So, whether autotune or not, you have the leaded fuel issue...

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back