• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-85 clutch ?'s

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
I am looking at rebuilding a P-85 to put on my Yamaha Mountain Max. I have a couple P-85's but they are a little differant and I am wondering which one is better or worse for me. They both seem to fit the crank okay. I was told they came off of old triples but I am not sure.

Clutch #1:
Pic 1: It has a large brass face plate bushing.
Pic 2: The ears off of the back of the face plate where the bolts go through are round.
Pic 3: There is an extra hole to the side of the weight bolt.
Not shown but it has "Alcoa" on the spider.

Clutch #2:
Pic 4: Small fiber bushing in face plate. Also has 11/01/95 stamped in it.
Pic 5: Typical ears on back of face plate.
Pic 6: Does not have the extra hole.

Any ideas?

P-85_1A.JPG P-85_1B.JPG P-85_1C.JPG P-85_2A.JPG P-85_2B.JPG P-85_2C.JPG

Clutches

Use the one with the fiber cover bushing. They call that Garmax. It is easily replaced and makes keeping the clutch tight easier. The brass cover bushings have to be pressed in if you can still find them. The number next to the date stamp is part of the digits in the part number so with a little digging you should be able to figure out what machine it came off of. Based on production date part numbers should be as follows:

95 XLT was part number 1321577 replaced by 1321733 also replaces 96 1321673
95 storm 5430945 replaced by 5438247 same in 96
95 rxl 1321577 replaced by 1321733 same as XLT
96 Ultra 1321673 replaced by 1321733 same as RXL and XLT above

Difference between the storm and other tipples listed above is the storm had wide rollers. Compare the brass cover clutch with say a later twin and you will see the width difference. Again if the fiber clutch has wide roller, that's another reason to run it. Fiber clutch also has capture feature on the cover that helps prevent the towers from spreading.

Last edited:
Great thanks for the info. I looked at the rollers. They are both the narrow rollers. They were about .38" wide.

Any ideas on rebuild kits. I see there is a EPI and SPI but they look to be the same thing. Are they? What about OEM is it better quality?

Premium Features

Back