• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Outboard Mechanic

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Looking for somebody who knows their way around outboards.

I have an old 35 Evinrude from I'd say the 80s that is just sitting around that I would like to get going if it is worth it. Much rather get this one fixed then buy a used one off the interwebs....damn people seem high on prices.

Not sure what is wrong with it, just know that in the past some cousins, etc used it while it was on my grandmas boat and didnt' noticed there was no water shooting out. Fried the electronics if I remember correct, but I'm not sure. I know it was taken to Robbinsdale a few years back but I have no idea what the deal was, all I know is it has been sitting in a shed since then.

if there wasnt any water coming out of the tatle tale then they fried more than the electronics, I would bet they seized the motor when that happened, wouldnt waste my time and money if I were you on that thing

if there wasnt any water coming out of the tatle tale then they fried more than the electronics, I would bet they seized the motor when that happened, wouldnt waste my time and money if I were you on that thing

Any easy way to see if the motor is siezed up?

Is it pull start...

Or turn key..

Does it turn over?

I bet.. they lost the water pump impeller.. and overheated it cooked the rings!

my .o2 cents

It was key and of course you could always pull.

No idea on if it will turn over, I will check next time I go up north.

No anyone local Matt?

Im almost certain as was said that the impeller went bad... VERY common and a CHEAP part to replace, yet for some reason people ALWAYS neglect it and wait to replace it until it totally goes bad. By then its more or less too late.

I would agree that the engine is more than likely seized. Do a compression test. Best way to know for sure.

If its only one cylinder Id fix it. As you said these engines are not cheap to buy and parts are out there and fairly cheap.

Premium Features

Back