• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Old style Cat roller secondary used on a sled with Polaris PERC reverse?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Have a Cat roller secondary on my 2001 Pol GenII (with RMI gear drive shaft, but that shouldn't matter).

I have a 2003 VES engine going into it and am considering setting it up to use the REVERSE.

Can I find a cover or helix that has been notched to operate the reverse on this older Cat roller secondary?

I'm kind of in a hurry too....LOL

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
I hope I'm wrong
images

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
FRICK. Thanks ya bugger. LOL

Is there a helix to put on that works?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Arctic Thunder, bigdoug, happyhour, jas123, modsled, poorider, summitbound, Turbotater

No comments from the rest of you turkey butts? HAHA

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can't believe that nobody machined something to retro fit the old clutches.

Someone missed out on some $$. LOL

bart0678

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Scott I know STM can set you up with a reverse helix for the old style clutches. From what they told me they end up boring the hole all the way through the helix where it bolts to the sheave and run a longer bolt in it to catch the rollers. Im not positive but Cutlers might be able to help you out as well. i know he still makes a ton of the old style cat helixes.
adam

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm on it...thanks a lot everyone. Good info. I'll post an update as soon as I can.

R

ragingwong

Sep 17, 2008
williams lake bc canada
Arctic clutch

Hey scott,did you find a helix to work with your ac clutch,i have an 03 polaris with reverse and a tss98 secondary and can't keep bushings in the thing,i've tried bronze, brass, phenolic and no luck,would really like to use an arctic cat secondary,please let me know what you've found,thanks

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I talked with Cutlers today...and the dude I talked to didn't think so but he was going to run it by Dale.

T
Nov 26, 2007
People started making an encapsulated roller helix for the cat clutch years back. But because they were infringing on Hi-Techs patent they got a cease order. I saw one for sale at Haydays two years ago. The other thing to remember is the original Hi-Tech encapsulated roller was built to go on the cat roller. TEAM got use of the patent from a patent co-owner. Because Duane Watt is now making the Paragon, I wonder if he would consider going to a place like Dalton and giving them permission to make those encapsulated helixs for the cat roller again, giving him some $ from sales of them?

BUT, I have PERC on my sled with a cat roller. It works just fine as is. But I've never used it for anything other than on flat ground real slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
BUT, I have PERC on my sled with a cat roller. It works just fine as is. But I've never used it for anything other than on flat ground real slow.

Cool!!! Do you back it off a trailer or a sled deck with that?

PS, I am so sorry Ten-Zing, I accidentally edited your post instead of clicking on "quote" to answer your post.

Last edited:
T
Nov 26, 2007
Yeah jus the simple "parking lot poser" stuff to scoot around. I see people try to use PERC as a "get outta jail free" card when stuck and I definitely know I won't try it with the stock Cat roller on there.

Just getting a machine shop to cut some helixs locally with an encapsulated deal would do the trick. The hard part is finding a machine shop that can do that grind well, and when they do get that radius down the first thing they would want to do is market that design and sell it.

Hey, crazy dumb idea here... I do ALSO now remember PEM's hyper lite billet clutch. They were putting little tabs on the stock cams that basically bolted onto the cam(helix) and worked as catches for the reverse. Something like that. If you can find one a them old schoolers and do a copy move you could be in there for dirt cheap. (PEM used Dalton cams, but I'm sure you could use the stock cast cat cams and add to them)

Premium Features