• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OK fellas,,,,Lets have some input on the ski hill in Revy.

P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
i know there is many riders who come out to bc with alot of respect. Tourism feeds my family right now, but when you're used to being able to run into a store and get what you need in 5min and be back home it is tough to wait in the store, wait in traffic, while tourists drive around looking at stuff.

That is the reason i moved out here in the first place.

Anyway i am alot happier( and more tolerant) now that motor parts arrived today and i can get back to riding this weekend.

D
Nov 29, 2007
I've been going to Revy for a few years now for Cat Skiing, sled access skiing/boarding and pure sledding. From what I've seen the sledders are the dominant presence in town on the weekends and alot of the time and fill the town up pretty well. With the ski hill opening up it will no doubt attract more people and stretch things thinner. I'm excited for the hill as I Cat Skiied there for years and it is some of the best terrain I've been on, I went there boxing down and was impressed but I still find that the sledding is better.

I seem to hear the locals not so happy with the expansion of the hill mainly because of what it did to the cost of living. A tradesman we talked to used to rent an entire house for ~$550/month about 2-3 years ago and now that same house is rented for ~$1800/month. I don't see wages going up that much and it's driving some people out of town. I hope they can find a balance because it's my favorite place to go.

D

duch17

Nov 26, 2007
I've been going to Revy for a few years now for Cat Skiing, sled access skiing/boarding and pure sledding. From what I've seen the sledders are the dominant presence in town on the weekends and alot of the time and fill the town up pretty well. With the ski hill opening up it will no doubt attract more people and stretch things thinner. I'm excited for the hill as I Cat Skiied there for years and it is some of the best terrain I've been on, I went there boxing down and was impressed but I still find that the sledding is better.

I seem to hear the locals not so happy with the expansion of the hill mainly because of what it did to the cost of living. A tradesman we talked to used to rent an entire house for ~$550/month about 2-3 years ago and now that same house is rented for ~$1800/month. I don't see wages going up that much and it's driving some people out of town. I hope they can find a balance because it's my favorite place to go.
Yeah, u can see were its going to go, then you have 10 liftees or whatever living in your house (cause they make 8 bucks an hour at the hill and that the only way they can make it work is living in mass) destroying in the 5 months that they live there and move in the spring leaving the owener with a supposed 500000 dollar home that now in shambles. It sure can screw up a beuatiful town in a hurry:confused::confused::confused:

N

northpow

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 27, 2007
where it snows (BC)
Why are ya all whining about the new ski hill?? The skiers are not hitting the sled zones!! You bertans are always complaining about something here in BC!! If ya dont like it stay and sled in AB!!! I heard it is sick out there!!!!LOL!!

Last edited:
I've ridden quite a few hills over BC and Alberta, and hit up Revy last Sunday to have a look and see what all the hype is about. My thoughts:

The good:
- Snowpack is unreal, of course. They'll get more snow there than any other resort I can think of, which is a major selling point.
- Lots of backcountry to explore. I hiked into the North Bowl and hit a chute leading into it, and had some of the best turns I've had this year. You have to watch the fall lines though, because it's easy to get sucked into a few more turns and miss the cat tracks out. Have a nice hike if that happens....post holing through waist deep snow is no fun.
- Great runs for the advanced skier/boarder up top. Steep and challenging, just the way I like it.

The bad:
- It ain't no Whistler. All they did was put in a Gondola and a quad to the top, and access pre-cut runs that used to be the cat skiing area. If they want to be in the same league as the major resorts, it's going to take a HUGE amount of money and investment. Until I see more runs being cut and more lifts being installed, it's no better than Kicking Horse area wise.
- not a lot of green runs for the beginners off the top chair, which kind of sucks for kids because that's where the snowpack is. It gets pretty thin at lower elevations, so the addition of another chair/more intermediate runs will draw more family crowds.
-Parking is another problem....lots of advertising brings lots of people. Kinda hard to park everyone when you haven't added a new parking lot to accommodate them. This is what the new gondola is for I'm assuming?
-Real estate speculation is RAMPANT in this town. Everyone is banking on the hill and this giant development, and if the developers decide to pull out or slow down watch values in the town plummet. I saw a 20 acre parcel on the road going up to the hill listed at $12 000 000.00! Crazy....I'd say houses are at par with Whistler, and the resort isn't even completed.

All in all, it's a FANTASTIC hill but it has a long way to go to catch up with the mega resorts of the world. It has the potential, but it's going to take time and a massive amount of money. In the meantime I'll still head out with my sled, and get my turns the old fashioned way!!

Premium Features