• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OFFICIAL 2017 YAMAHA TURBO REVEAL!!

C
Nov 29, 2008
Did the MTX go on a diet?
No one is going to be real happy unless the answer is yes ..... If Yamaha could shed a few lbs then it could very well be a contender with a proper factory turbo set up. Other than that $$$$ is a big one especially with the discounts on very capable holdovers from doo, poo & AC.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Honestly I really like the direction they are going. I would highly consider getting a cross over sled because I would like to ride low snow conditions without worrying about burning down and not feel bad putting on lots of miles on my sled(because we all know sleds these days are good for 2,XXX miles before overhauling). The 153 track w/1.75 would be good for that without giving up too much performance in the steeper/deeper conditions. Despite the weight it will still have good power at altitude with the turbo too. I think it is a solid move to perhaps capture more of the cross over folks who are flatlanders who also make a couple trips west. Great release in my opinion, but obviously the die hard mountain segment won't be terribly thrilled.

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
2017 Sidewinder MTX 162 SE blue - I like the look of it.
Hopefully its lost some weight compared to the Viper.

Thanks Christopher

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
New plastics look awesome, a lot more functional side panels from the looks of it. Be nice to see Hp numbers and if weight has been reduced compared to a MPI Viper.

D
Oct 26, 2009
Wow the engineering in this thing is incredible. Yamaha may not be the lightest but who really cares. Grab a hold of this bad boy and go climb a mountain. The weight thing is just plain getting old. Go have fun and come home day after day year after year. Reliable dependable powerful and yes heavier because a 4 stroke just is. No tinkering no blown pistons or crankcase. This thing would be great for wide open riding, climbing and high marking.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Pretty nice looking sled, now why they did not offer a 174 3" is kind of crazy, maybe next year...like the 180 hp probably easy bump to 250+ with ecu ect change, that and a 174 id be happy :face-icon-small-hap

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
yup motor is very impressive but they needed to lose some weight to close the gap.
i dont care if it weighs what a axys does but they need to get under 500lbs dry 162 or they will never contend or gain market share in the mtns.
i love the 4 strokes been riding them since 04 but as i get later in my 40s theres days when i would like something lighter:face-icon-small-coo

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
The turbo and engine management system sounds awesome. Timing control, turbo pistons are huge. crank the boost up and rip. If theres a downside it has to be the chassis and its inherent weight. All in all pretty cool. Is the sidewinder mtx going to be available in red Christopher??

M

Mr Nasty

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, alaska
Thoughts??

I honestly don't know where Yamaha is going with this. Seems like they are content with the share of market they have now and don't want to expand it. Are they wanting to phase out the older chassis by trying to get people to convert to this high priced model? I highly doubt they've lost much weight or they would be talking about lightweight this and lightweight that....it also doesn't state at which elevation they're claiming a 30% more power to weight ratio. I bet at sea level it is very minimal and that's where they claim their market is.

I was hoping I could ride this Yamaha bandwagon longer but I'm positive my viper will be my last Yamaha. You must follow the market as it changes and in my eyes Yamaha is stuck in the past.

Thanks for all the reveals Chris. Did cat send you a packet?

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--All very Nice!!!

--BTW, chassis is NOT heavy...ProClimb chassis is best out there currently...best in class suspension too...

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I honestly don't know where Yamaha is going with this. Seems like they are content with the share of market they have now and don't want to expand it. Are they wanting to phase out the older chassis by trying to get people to convert to this high priced model? I highly doubt they've lost much weight or they would be talking about lightweight this and lightweight that....it also doesn't state at which elevation they're claiming a 30% more power to weight ratio. I bet at sea level it is very minimal and that's where they claim their market is.

I was hoping I could ride this Yamaha bandwagon longer but I'm positive my viper will be my last Yamaha. You must follow the market as it changes and in my eyes Yamaha is stuck in the past.

Hit the nail with this post. ^

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The turbo and engine management system sounds awesome. Timing control, turbo pistons are huge. crank the boost up and rip. If theres a downside it has to be the chassis and its inherent weight. All in all pretty cool. Is the sidewinder mtx going to be available in red Christopher??
I am pretty sure I posted all of the available colors

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

So long as people keep chanting WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT, they are going to be disapointed.

Weight is simply NOT the Holy Grail for Yamaha.

They are much more interested in other aspects of the sled, as they have shown us over and over and over again in the past several years.

Premium Features