• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro: Snow in the Nose Issue

...nose of the sled...
It gets packed full of snow and then ice..bad.

How have others resolved this?

I'm considering spray-in foam/insulation in all the cracks/holes that I can see through.

I'm thinking this is causing a secondary issue of ice between the skid plate syndrome.. I just pulled my skid plate and had a solid 4-6" of solid ice sandwiched in there.

I drilled some 'bigger' holes in the skid plate to try to assist draining as well, but I think the main issue is the snow getting into the nose area in the first place.

Any tips/suggestions welcome!

I know some folks as well as myself have glued some small wire or vent-material-kind-of-stuff behind the holes around the headlight and on the side panels. Seems to help with carrying around extra snow, especially in any kind of powder. I also removed all the foam insulation too...it would just soak up the snow when it melted and then turn to ice.

snow gets in through the bottom as well as the top. I use duct tape and silicone around all of the areas on the bottom also. do around bumper, panel seams, the rubber boots on the steering, the sight window in the pto side shock tower, and everwhere else visiable. This helps most but not all. Problem is, the nytro has a very cold front (due to no pipe there) and the snow that does get in stays there.

Last edited:
snow gets in through the bottom as well as the top. I use duct tape and silicone around all of the areas on the bottom also. do around bumper, panel seams, the rubber boots on the steering, the sight window in the pto side shock tower, and everwhere else visiable. This helps most but not all. Problem is, the nytro has a very cold front (due to no pipe there) and the snow that does get in stays there.

thats the conclusion i sorta came to too, no pipe allows things to stay frozen.
i'll try the spray-in foam..it can't hurt i figure.
and my rubber boots were full of ice too...and most the rivets broken off/thru...rediculous.

Yamaha really needs some proper DEEP SNOW mountain riders testing their sleds...clearly...

I bet they make great drag [race] sleds..... ><

I would caution about spray foam. I have not used it on a sled, but my guess is that it will get little cracks and then soak up water like a sponge. Then you might as well load the nose with bricks.

I would caution about spray foam. I have not used it on a sled, but my guess is that it will get little cracks and then soak up water like a sponge. Then you might as well load the nose with bricks.

well, i'm at that point already. :P
but, yes, i also considered that possability recently...

simple fix....bring the sled in garage and thaw it out after riding. obviously the sled is not designed to be completely sealed up it has to get air to run and stay cool.

Last edited:
simple fix....bring the sled in garage and thaw it out after riding. obviously the sled is not designed to be completely sealed up it has to get air to run and stay cool.

Thats what headlight delete and extra holes in proper locations are for..

The holes and gaps left on the Nytro's nose were not 'intended' for cooling..its design flaw.

Much like an oil tank that dumps oil all over the ground when the snowmobile is on its side..who NEVER has their snowmobile on its side, or even parked/stuck/sitting off camber? o.O

I'll keep fixing the stupid [little] issues, the engines worth it..but really, Yamaha needs some serious R&D aside from racers and trail riders.

I bought one of the storage bags for the front under hood. I just got back from riding in 8ft of fresh powder and had very little snow up front as compared to usual, very happy.:face-icon-small-win Forgot to mention that I dont have the foam in the hood either.

Last edited:
snow build up

You guys might think this korney but if you put in a small beach ball and inflate it, it will seal all cracks up and doesn't add any weight and is simple to remove. Just a thought!

I bought one of the storage bags for the front under hood. I just got back from riding in 8ft of fresh powder and had very little snow up front as compared to usual, very happy.:face-icon-small-win Forgot to mention that I dont have the foam in the hood either.

i have and use the storage bag that came w/ the sled. do they not come with the sled anymore? ><

for what its worth...i had a lot less snow in the nose w/o a skid plate...go figure...
sorta scary w/o a skid plate though! :P

Premium Features

Back