• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No Spark...... HELP!!!!

J
Feb 6, 2009
Montana
I just bought an 05 800 REV and the thing was flawless. Showed 150mi and was clean as a whistle. Started 1st or 2nd pull every time. 1st trip out worked awesome!!! Love it! Second trip I trailered it 120mi. and it took 15-20 pulls to start. I figured it had flooded out and it ran great the rest of the day. I came home parked it and it was the end of my season. I went to start it a few days ago and it wouldnt turn over. Pulled a plug and NO SPARK!!! So I check for a loose connection and everything looks good. Kill switch and lanyard appear not to be the problem. What else could it be??? The thing went from running great to no spark while sitting in my garage. I dont know where to start! Could a relay cause it to loose spark?? What else??

Thanks, Jake

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
when you pull it over does the head light seem to light up?? if not look on the right siide up under by the tetherand theres a relay there ,hit it a few times with something and then try and start it

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
A freind of mine put his sled away in the spring, it ran great, then in the fall we got it out to go threw the carb ect. and it won't start and it had no spark. Barrowed an MPEM from another sled (Both 600s) and it fired right up. MPEM went bad just sitting over the summer. Just a possibilty, GOOD LUCK

J
Feb 6, 2009
Montana
Well first I will buy a new relay, its cheap. After that I will start swapping parts with a friends sled. Coil, mpem, tether are all easy swaps. I hear that the stator kinda sux to get to. Oh well, I got all summer. If I end up needing any of these things, anyone know where I can get parts cheap??

Thanks

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
I had this problem on my rev and it ended up being the voltage regulator in the end. It could be your kill switch. Start by disconneting all the connections on your handlebars underneath the center pad on your bars. This will take the kill switch out of the system and if it is the kill switch, it should fire up once you disconnect those wires. Otherwise, could be the stator, mpem, coil, voltage regulator, etc... Just make sure that if you plug in another mpem that it is from the same year and sled model as you have because otherwise it can screw up your engine pretty good.

Evan

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
Will the sled run with a bad DESS...............?????????????

Some say it will not have any spark, others say it will run but very badly.

an easy way to see if that is the problem is by takin one from a different sled and put it on to see if it runs and if thats the problem the different one will only let it run up to about 3000 RPMs i think

J
Feb 6, 2009
Montana
I already disconnected the plugs on handlebars, replaced the relay, and tried a Dess lanyard from a 1000(does it make a difference????). None of this worked. Waiting on a donor sled from a friend before swapping parts.

J
Feb 6, 2009
Montana
Just got a donor sled for parts, same year and model as mine. So far, I have swapped the DESS and the coil, put a new relay on, changed spark plugs, disconnected plugs on handlebars. Still nothing:mad:. Now I guess it is on to the MPEM, stator, and voltage regulator i guess. I have a feeling that this is something stupid that I have missed. I hate fixing dumb stuff.:rolleyes: BTW I tried to switch the MPEM and when removing the plugs I found the main plug (biggest one) to be stuck. I tried to pull it out with pliers and no luck. If I pull any harder I have a good chance of breaking it. Anyone else run into this, how did you get it out.

Last edited:
O
Dec 2, 2007
Black Hills
Just got a donor sled for parts, same year and model as mine. So far, I have swapped the DESS and the coil, put a new relay on, changed spark plugs, disconnected plugs on handlebars. Still nothing:mad:. Now I guess it is on to the MPEM, stator, and voltage regulator i guess. I have a feeling that this is something stupid that I have missed. I hate fixing dumb stuff.:rolleyes: BTW I tried to switch the MPEM and when removing the plugs I found the main plug (biggest one) to be stuck. I tried to pull it out with pliers and no luck. If I pull any harder I have a good chance of breaking it. Anyone else run into this, how did you get it out.

Had an 03 ZX die on the trail, just went dead like you shut it off while it was running. Everything checked out except the output from the MPEM to the coil, put on a new MPEM--problem solved. Look for a release on the side of the plug, cannot believe it is just stuck, the connectors are greased with dielectric grease to keep out moisture, wiggle it up and down, back and forth after you pull the release.

Stuck

Premium Member
Feb 4, 2002
Bridger, MT
Sounds like a bad stator to me. If your gauge or headlight doesn't light up at all when you pull the cord then its either the mpem, stator, or the regulator. 9 times out of ten in this situation it is the stator. If you have access to a shop manual and a fluke meter you can check the specs on these components to see which component is bad.

J
Feb 6, 2009
Montana
Well, here is the latest news! Found a wire that had a super small bare spot that grounded it to the frame......causing my MPEM to burn up. Fixed the wire and put a friends MPEM in mine and gwess what SPARK!!!!:beer;:beer; Sooo now I just ordered a used MPEM and hopefully that works so I can go to a dealer and get my DESS calibrated. I need a sled ASAP :D

BTW: Does anyone know what is involved in getting a DESS recoded???

Premium Features