• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Newby

A
Nov 6, 2010
Wasilla, AK
Hello from Wasilla AK.

Snow checked a 2012 PC M8.

Great sled and have ridden some epic powder this year in Petersville, Trapper Creek and Dutch Hills.

I love the new sled and simply incredible until......

The motor blew ;)

Yup, I have exactly 197 miles on it when it happened. Funny thing is I haven't had any belt issues yet and hopefully I won't be joining the seemingly MASS amount of folks that are having that issue.

I will say this though, until the motor went I was a happy customer. Sense then I can see this sled is going to be a work in progress it seems.

Funny thing was the first day I rode this thing to get the initial tank through it I was putting around and it just stopped running. I thought I must of accidentally hit the kill switch but didn't think I did....but pulled the pull starter and away I went.

Went another 75 miles on it before it ever did it again. Was on my way back into Dutch for the second time this year and doing about 50mph and she just dies again out of nowhere. I pull start it and take off and this time I know I didn't hit the kill switch.

Rode that day started to head out for the day and dies again......after running fine. Won't restart and checked everything one can in the field and finally it starts and it sounds like a diesel.

Shut her down and get towed out.........17miles.

It's been at the dealer for what will now be 3 weeks and they call me today and tell me it's the motor and vaguely say something about an oil line. Only thing is........it was using plenty of oil and that imo doesn't explain why it just shut down at various throttle and ridding conditions.

Something more to this imo.....and can't say I'll be owning this rig beyond the warranty before I trade it back in........this is crazy imo.

Oh, here is a little vid of our boondocking weekend before she blew up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6pUkqor_9A

Later all,

Weasel

A
Nov 6, 2010
Wasilla, AK
Hm sounds like another oil pump shaft failure.

lol.....yeah are most getting a replaced motor under warranty or rebuilt?

Also, I don't claim to be a expert, but without it throwing a warning light etc....was this shaft failure causing it to just die?

Personally I'm preparing myself for more issues sadly.

Though if I start having issues with my belts am going to play around and c&c an entirely different TCL....weld another lower mount to the frame and fix cats other issue.

Can't say I'm to happy with the lack of Arctic Cat being on top of this and making it right with all the issues.....but time will tell.

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Which dealers taking that long? They have been giving people new motors but its a case by case basis, yours is the first one locally i have heard of blowing up. :( sorry to here about that bud!

-Aksnopro

A
Nov 6, 2010
Wasilla, AK
Which dealers taking that long? They have been giving people new motors but its a case by case basis, yours is the first one locally i have heard of blowing up. :( sorry to here about that bud!

-Aksnopro

They said they are replacing the topend. Oh Eagle River is the dealer......so far they've treated me good on prior repairs and purchases on my other sled. I will say I'm somewhat surprised I'm not getting a new engine.....but they claimed there are two other early snowchecked models that had similar issues and they did the topend and no further issues. We will see.

More motor issues and Cat will be installing a new motor....personally they should be this time but I'm willing to give this a try first.

Premium Features