• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to the turbo world need help.

So i had a spurt of the moment impulsive buy. Found a 2010 hcr pg BD turbo with only 600miles. I was told it is tuned in but i have no idea what anything is and what it does, and the BD box scares the sh*t outa me.

What i need to know, i will be riding in elevations from 8,000 and up. i dont know what the numbers on the box are supposed to be, how many lbs of boost to run, if i should mix some race gas/ what kind. the buttons on the box, gauges, and there is a extra boost button. what weights to run. things to look for as far as maintenance goes.

I plan on riding in Laramie, rabbit ears, big horns, togwotee, and cook city, all within the 8000 and up range. Do i need to have different fuel maps for this, or for change in air temps. Living in Gillette wy now so plan on doing alot of riding in different places.

I know the 05-11 M's inside in out many times over, so as far as the machine goes i feel really good about it. But the turbo and wanting it to be a pull and go sled makes me nervous. Looking to run low boost for now for a learning adventure, but not wanting to be tunning all the time while my friends are shredding pow.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2012-12-08_15-29-17_418.jpg 2012-12-09_10-23-55_642.jpg 2012-12-09_10-24-02_923.jpg 2012-12-09_10-24-12_844.jpg

I have same sled and same kit! Bd box is easy! If its tuned corectly It should be good to go just about everywhere you go because your kit has a ebc on it!

Your stats should be all you really need to look into! Here is how you get there! 1.Start sled. 2 Press enter button one Time that will bring up menu screen which will display a fuel stats extras and maps. 3 use right arrow button to move right to the stats screen then hit enter button to go into stats! First screen will show current runnig settings(not important) hit enter again to move to the second stats screen. In that screenIt will show your Dc out number. That number needs to stay below low 90s max on a pg kit! That is the amount of injector you are using! Now if you hit enter one more time it will bring up max boost and charge temps to see how much boost sled is running at!

If your runnig more then 6lbs on stock motor you better through some rg/av gas in there! Ive been running myn at 10 on 70/30 av 91 mix. Riding 10,000ft+. Going to back it down till i start tappin knock sensor then run whatever mix I end up at without hitting det! Hoping It will go on 50/50 but will see!

I wouldnt bother going into the fuel side until you know you need to tune!

Your ebc will aslo display your current boost when your riding!

Boondocker is always very helpfull when Ive called them so If you end up needing more help you might have better luck caling them up!

Good luck I think you will love the sled alot of fun!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help, another question, what kind of belt do you run, like do you just run the cat belt or is there a better one for the extra power? also can i run a headlight delete, or do i need to run a resistor? i read the directions and it said something about a resistor. idk if this was for the m7 tho?

Thanks for all the help, another question, what kind of belt do you run, like do you just run the cat belt or is there a better one for the extra power? also can i run a headlight delete, or do i need to run a resistor? i read the directions and it said something about a resistor. idk if this was for the m7 tho?

Cat belts work fine! 46 works great for money! Nice to carry a 60 though because they tend to pull rpm down about 400-600 rpms so you can turn up boost with the 60 and leave clutching alone if ya just want a little more power for a hill or something.

Headlight delete is fine IMO a good thing! Because you load your electrical supply with extras like Bd box, EGTS/AFR, Oil pump, extra power draw on fuel pump pushing more fuel for boost! So taking the head light draw off a turbo sled kinda equals out to stock sled with its headlights.
Not to say you cant run your headlights with turbo because you can!

I think 05-08 Ms needed a resistor when pulling headlights because they were dc. In 09 they converted to ac power which did not require resistors when pulling headlights!

Did you take a look at your stats? What were they?

My .02 on clutch weights..

I have never had better performance out of my turbo then when I went to the MDS weights man. Smooth engagement, pull really hard and I just LOVE the way they keep the belt temps down. It makes the sled pull and go. year one with BD clutching I blew 4-5 belts, year 2 AND 3 with MDS.. still have yet to blow one. Run cooler clutches then the stock sleds I ride with. I change belts now cause it's a new season, not cause I blew them up. Call Steve, he will set you up right.

I've also run my pump gas BD kit in the low 90's for duty cycle its entire life (anywhere from 88-97) and never had a single issue. Getting those stats is the hardest part. I've found a nice constant pull up a moderate incline gives me the best real world results. Start at the bottom, and progress from stop to full throttle in a constant pull has given me the more reliable numbers. Riding around all day and then checking numbers gives you boost spikes that aren't real and I don't "tune" to those numbers. Will be up at rabbit ears this weekend if you're around give me a shout, I can impart my small amount of knowledge from several years of turbo'd m sleds riding around here. Best sled Cat has ever made!

I haven't touched a boondocker number in 3 years. I'm not trying to get every last ounce of performance out of it. Running pretty conservative it still is a handful and just a blast to ride. As mentioned in earlier posts, I love the "pump gas" aspect of the sled. I put 2 gal of race fuel in per ride, but you will quickly find out that the stock injectors are the limiting aspect of the BD kit. Works like a charm and just keep on running. Put fuel in and ride, do regular M maintenance and you'll be a very happy camper. Enjoy!

Last edited:
The best part about snowmobiling is all the ppl I meet. Its awesome how much information and help a guy can get when he is learning. This web site helps me a ton, but the people that respond to questions are amazing. Thanks for all the help.

Why i am thinking about it. What oil should i run? boondocker, cat oil? and what kind of oil does the turbo take? Should i just run all boondocker?

Also a fan of the MDS weights!

I run Mobil 5W-30 Full Syn for the turbo. Redline Full Syn in the sled.

MDS, weights will surprise you.

Oil, sfrcorp.com

BD box is not easy for a newbie, I would read everything you can and then ride with someone that knows the box and have them show you, then its a lot easier.

Run a little bit of everything over the years. My favorite probably being legend in the sled and legend in the turbo. You will burn a little bit of oil in the turbo. Been told my many sources over the years that 2 smoke oil in the turbo is the way to go. That is basically what Boondockers oil is I believe. I just like the smell of the legend the best and haven't had any power valve problems.

I've found that Mountain Fit Hoods vent for the turbo side vent in the shock well to help deliver cool air to the turbo. Check out the thread on cool air intakes, I haven't done it, but lots of people swear by them. I also installed a vent on the clutch side shock well also and it helps move the air in the trees much better, always helping to keep the temps down. Are you running a skid plate? Lots of guys are using frog skins on the front bumper to pull cold air in like a timbersled intake as well.

What are the current stats on the BD box? What is your push to pass button set-up as? Never run one, but you can also set that to "capture" mode to get tuning information from the BD box while in a long pull. Lots of peeps to call here. Vohk, Junior, etc.

Also find out what version of the EBC you have. There are 3 versions out there, a duty cycle version, a max boost version and a TPS version. That would be helpful information for you to know as well.

Last edited:
had a chance to dig into the sled today, i will get all the stats tm morning. in the primary the weights are cat weights 672/75 with a purple/white spring. Secondary has a helix 36/46P with an orange spring. I looked at the stats with the 9v battrie but was a bit nervous when it was asking if i wanted to clear stats.... so i got out of there..... re-reading some information from up above i will be able to get the stats in the morning

stats

8260 61/86 - second enter

PSI 8.0 255 - Third enter

Not quite sure what they mean, is this close, i talked to a tech at boondocker and he said i sould run max 7.5 psi because of the injectors. I would much rather be on the SAFE sides of things.

Also can can somebody explaine to me the EBC, when setting it to elevation, do i need to change this all the time, for instance - if i was going to laramie or walden the elevation is 8500 or so in to togwotee its 9500 to 10. Do i change this everytime, and is it safe to have more then needed. watched the info thing on yourtube a couple of time, just wondering how important it is to have them spot on.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back