• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new to polaris. clutch tools?

K
Dec 19, 2010
bozeman mt
recently went from ski doo to a 11 pro rmk, and i'm glad i did i love this sled. ive done some searching and i cant find out which tools i need to do a clutch kit. spiders are a whole new deal to me. i know ya need a press tool, but what else. i found two other tools ill try to get pics, ones a jam nut tool and the other is a spider tool. do i need them and do i need other tools, do i have to realign. thanks guys
catalog.cfm
catalog.cfm

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=230

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=229

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
1.-SLP clutch press (does primary and secondary clutches)
2.- SLP primary fixture tool (hold primary in vice or can be bolted to bench)
3. SLP spider jam nut tool (300 ft/lbs of torque)
4.-SLP spider tool (300 foot pounds of torque)
5. EPI clutch puller
6.- torque wrench capable of 300 foot pounds
7.- Polaris clutch alignment tool PS-47447 (or something like that-it's listed in service manual)
8. feeler gauges for belt to sheave clearance

Think that is everything...just bought everything listed this year. Also new to Polaris.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
The little drift tool that puts the fiber bushings in for the weight pin bolts. There is also a tool that pulls the clutch buttons and has the correct feeler for both belt clearances on the primary. I also like an ignition wrench for the weight pin nuts. They can be hard to get into. If you get stumped I can dig it all out and get pics and numbers. Let me know. EW

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
If you are just throwing in some springs, weights, and a helix then all you really need is a slp press tool, clutch puller, and a primary clutch holding tool(looks like a big hook). If you need to shim your clutch to get proper side belt clearance, then you will need all the other tools Murph listed. Polaris clutches are pretty easy to take apart.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a few clutch tools myself. The one I use the most is the removal tool. But I got to the point where it makes more sense to send it off or buy a new clutch instead of buying all those tools. I only keep my sleds for 2 years anyway so I'm usually good with the clutch that comes with the sled.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
makeshift tools

I have used a big washer to change the weights on the hill.
You pull the clutch bolt and put a big washer over it. Reinstall but don't torque. This will hold the clutch cover while you take out the bolts.
After you have the clutch cover bolts out you can back out the clutch bolt and it will release the pressure on the spring. Then you can change the spring and weights with the clutch still on the sled. Align the Xs up and push like heck. One of your buddies can start the clutch bolt back in and then tighten it enough to start all of the cover bolts. tighten them down evenly and remove the washer off the clutch bolt. After you retorqu the clutch bolt your back in business.

K
Dec 19, 2010
bozeman mt
hey thanks everyone for the replies, we'll see how far a spring can fly. ha. i would like to just take it in but i dont know what that will do to the warranty, and i like learning how to work on these things. ill get them parts a comin. if i have any questions i'll let ya guys know. thanks again

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
back up looking for some advice on a clutch puller....go with SLP or EPI?

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
tools

All the ones mentioned above are good to have, but the one thing
no one mentioned yet is a clip ring removal tool (for the secondary),
get a beefy one like the channel lock brand. Anything smaller than that
wont open the clip ring enough to get it off.

Premium Features