• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Timbersled Ski Review

W

wntrland

Sep 6, 2008
Somehow I must have gotten on Santa's extra nice list because he left my new Timbersled ski on my doorstep yesterday. I couldn't wait till Christmas so I went out and put 50 miles on it today. First off let me say I have no affiliation to Timbersled other than the fact that I have owned & ridden their kit for the last three years now. I endured the skinny ski for the first year and took many trips over the bars. Last year I used a Simmons Gen II with side runners and it worked well for the typical conditions in southwestern Montana. I have been anxiously awaiting the new ski in the hope that it would be the final piece in the Timbersled puzzle.

After today's ride I can confidently report that this ski is the answer! On hard packed groomed trail conditions it works like a streetbike tire on pavement, glued to the ground with just the right amount of feel and feedback. I found myself pinned in 6th gear going thru corners at close to 60 mph and feeling completely at ease & in control. Previously with the skinny ski or the gen II, I would have been scared to get out of third gear.

Out in the powder it is incredible as well. Steering effort is greatly reduced and it is very responsive to all rider inputs from counter steering to simple weight changes. This thing is so intuitive, if you think about where you wanna, go that's what it does!

On extreme side hills it sticks even better than the track. I literally never felt it push, slip or slideout all day.

Bottom line - this ski works... It completes the Timbersled package. Here's hoping Santa leaves one on your doorstep soon!

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I missed the Fed ex truck and had to chase him down thought it was my Ski -- nope a huge box of Chocolate 10 pounds --- Who in the world eats 10 pounds of chocolate anyway what a disappointment. :face-icon-small-sad Chocolate was not even for me.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Switched @ birth!

Sweets were condolences from Polaris for your neighbor, the 2013' Pro rider who got the shaft. He's probably "broken" up wondering where to drill the holes for boot bindings on his new board...:face-icon-small-hap

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
OOOPS I thought so

just got an enthusiastic call from a possssible new ski skeptic, said forget what you're running, he rode with the new ski today, every condtion they were in from some hard pack groomed trail to radiator deep boondocking, the mtn horeses with the new ski were in a different class. So Allen, when can you sell these things to the anybodies ?

M
Nov 23, 2010
Bozeman
I also have recieved my new ski for my sx kit and feel very blessed after riding on it. The new ski is amazing! your confidence for it sticking to the trail will improve drastically. Very little to no darting, less arm fatigue and you can actually lay the bike over in corners and ride it like your in the dunes. In the deep snow I also noticed less diving in sharp turns wich helps you keep speed better and I am also riding in a higher gear everywhere now. They really hit the nail on the head with the new ski! You are gonna love it!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The amount of R&D and working with Val Simmons... testing, CNC prototypes and more testing... Allen is one of the most detailed oriented people I know...

Nice to see a mfg that can truly pull off continual improvement and innovation in their products... Next year will be even better!

Good work Timbersled and Allen Mangum... Keep em coming!

The ski on the Mountain Horse is called the T/S (Timbersled/Simmons) BackCountry Ski.

It is a custom designed and built tri-keel ski that is like no other ski in the snowmobile or snow bike industry. It is the only ski in history that is specifically designed for snow biking.

The ski is built by Simmons, Inc. and has been designed by Timbersled. It has some similarities to some of the other Simmons skis but has a totally different function that is specific to the handling needs of a snow bike.

It is an all-in-one ski eliminating the need to change it for different snow conditions (this is something that has been a real issue for snow bikes until this ski was produced).
The ski is available as an upgrade on our Snow Bike Accessories page.

10” wide with 3 keels that allow for precision handling and best possible flotation in the powder.
The center keel is wider, taller and shorter in length than the 2 outer keels with a 6” long skag that allows for easy steering on the trail and a roll center that feels a lot like a tire.
Outside keels are only 3/4” wide and are a 1” shorter than the center keel. They are located to the very outer edge of the ski so they provide super secure feeling when side hilling and cornering.
3-1/2” of space in-between keels. This allows enough space to prevent freezing or plugging up with snow.
With the combination of the center keel being taller than the outers, when you lean or side hill you are always on 2 keels. This allows the ski to track very straight without darting and provides very easy steering in most conditions.
Front outer edge of the ski has a 1/4” tall ledge leading from the front of the outer keels to the ski-loop. This makes the ski respond instantly in soft snow when you steer into a side hill with out slipping out to the side.
Front leading edge of the 2 outer keels are farther forward of the leading edge of the center keel. This adds steering responsiveness and eliminates front end push in soft snow.
Straight cut grooves in the bottom of the ski that extend full length and are 1/2” apart. This helps with straight line tracking on set up snow conditions such as on the trail and in wet snow.
3 mounting positions for the ski saddle. This allows you to position the ski forward or backward to change the steering characteristics.
All 3 ski skags are inserted with carbide down the full length of each skag so they will last a long time. The back half of the skags have 60 deg carbides that stick out for stability on ice and make the ski track straighter.

16-pp-946-1.jpg

16-pp-946-4.jpg

Premium Features