• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT: FAN POWERED VENTILLATION OPTION FOR GAUGE LIFT OWNERS

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Here’s my solution for trying to actively manage under-hood heat. You *must* have a WRP/”Madsigntist” or WildChild gauge relocation bracket for this to work.

This fan is modified to be waterproof to IP55 standards. That’s not to say the fan will not fail due to water or dust ingress, but helps minimize the potential. The electronics and the field coils were encapsulated in a UL recognized MIL-I-46058C polyurethane. A synthetic grease, used on Mil/aero fans, has been added to the bearing shields and shaft to prevent corrosion. Polyurethane was also brushed on the stator to retard corrosion.
This is a direct plug in- there is no cutting, drilling or other modifications of the snowmobile required.

The fan moves 67cfm of air and only draws .38amp of current and comes with all necessary hardware and step by step instructions. All you need to do is remove your hood, 2 bolts, and install. Total estimated time is roughly 30 minutes. Maybe more if you have a few malted beverages.

SEE MY AD IN THE SWAPMEET SECTION FOR PRICING, SHIPPING/AVAILABILITY AND SALES RELATED INFO.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357204

What does everyone think is the more effective way to reduce underhood temps? Active ventilation or passive ventilation? Or a combination of both?

Looking forward to a good discussion and what people think!

http://youtu.be/GMQ86BoRmHs

20131102_233125.jpg canadsledpartsinstall.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Active ventillation is a great way to go... especially in the stagnant air (slow speeds and pow covered hoods) that mountain sleds often work in.

This in combo with some low placed vents on the panels would work very well at getting rid of heat and keeping things cool.

Good discussion.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
I am in the active vent camp, slow tree riding doesn't move hardly any air, so a fan is critical to get the hot air out. When I owned an XP I built my own version to blow directly on the primary, now riding the pro I'm using the MTNTK, but it doesn't move enough air in my opinion, nor does it direct the cold air flow directly across the primary like I would ideally want. It is better than nothing though.

B

Bturton

Oct 3, 2012
Medicine Hat, Ab
I like the idea of venting the heated air from the highest point, using convection to assist.
Adding an active air removal source would be the next logical step.

Turts, typing on Tapatalk

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Addressing questions:

Nort10- I do not plan on including a switch. If the machine is on, fan is on. Sled is off, fan is off.
Wjl- not much to see, but will throw some out tonight when I'm home.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Here’s my solution for trying to actively manage under-hood heat. You *must* have a WRP/”Madsigntist” or WildChild gauge relocation bracket for this to work.

This fan is modified to be waterproof to IP55 standards. That’s not to say the fan will not fail due to water or dust ingress, but helps minimize the potential. The electronics and the field coils were encapsulated in a UL recognized MIL-I-46058C polyurethane. A synthetic grease, used on Mil/aero fans, has been added to the bearing shields and shaft to prevent corrosion. Polyurethane was also brushed on the stator to retard corrosion.
This is a direct plug in- there is no cutting, drilling or other modifications of the snowmobile required.

The fan moves 67cfm of air and only draws .38v of current and comes with all necessary hardware and step by step instructions. All you need to do is remove your hood, 2 bolts, and install. Total estimated time is roughly 30 minutes. Maybe more if you have a few malted beverages.

SEE MY AD IN THE SWAPMEET SECTION FOR PRICING, SHIPPING/AVAILABILITY AND SALES RELATED INFO.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357204

What does everyone think is the more effective way to reduce underhood temps? Active ventilation or passive ventilation? Or a combination of both?

Looking forward to a good discussion and what people think!

http://youtu.be/GMQ86BoRmHs

I'm assuming you mean .38 amps of current not volts. Sounds like a interesting add-on.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Addressing questions again:

Cntrvl Sledder- I assume you're talking about the Mtntk vent? I have not seen the other vent in person, but assume they run off 2 different circuits? Mine draws power from the under hood Accessory port. Not sure where they tap into the electrical system....

Kirklan- I exchanged a few emails with another gentleman throughout the day who asked the very same question. Check out my list of replies in this thread where I address it. Post #7, user Cop Out.

Oregonsledder- I may have misspoke/typo'd...It was late last night. Sorry, if I did!!

Volcano Buster- May also induce involuntary drooling as your food cooks!!

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for offering this product! I hope you do well with it.

Mountainhorse... what are your thoughts on running something like this with a mtntk blowhole? Starting to push a limit on draw?

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I really like this thing, active wenting. With the power in the sleds these days, churning in the deep snow with a covered hood and next to no speed I am surprised no OEM has done it?

I'm torn though, between wanting that "chimney-went" up top or a "cold-shot" went on the left panel (somewhere) to favor the clutches..

Keep up the good work and thanks likkerpig!

RS

R

Rocketboy

Nov 27, 2008
I like this- Pulling the hot air away from the clutches and not over to the clutches to suck it out!!!

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Did not know that before I got into this, looks like another great option to solve the same underhood heat problem!

Premium Features