• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New GoPro COLD WEATHER BATTERY

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Nov 30, 2021 • I put GoPro's new Enduro battery to the test, with over a dozen tests in icy cold conditions, and long-battery life testing to see how it handles compared to the regular battery, and whether it's worth the extra cost. In this video I compare sub-zero temperatures, cold-weather temperatures, and normal temperatures. This include starting from a GoPro Enduro battery frozen for 7 hours first, to see if it can handle it (and also, whether the older GoPro battery can handle it).

0:00 Quick & Test Setup
1:23 Sub-Zero Tests
4:03 Sorta-Cold Temp Testing
5:22 Not Cold Testing
6:35 Fast Charging Tested
8:33 Wrap-Up

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
How is anybody still using anything but the Max? I assume these batteries don't work in the max?

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
This batt froze up on me constantly, made the cam act goofy, tried warming it up,nothing changed. It's like the cam itself was froze.
About ten degrees and getting hit with good powder often
Really made for crappy video, also forgot to use the right settings

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This batt froze up on me constantly, made the cam act goofy, tried warming it up,nothing changed. It's like the cam itself was froze.
About ten degrees and getting hit with good powder often
Really made for crappy video, also forgot to use the right settings

WOW
You and I had VERY different experiences.
I found the new batteries to work VERY WELL.
I am SUPER SATISFIED with the 4 that I bought., and found that I only went through about 3 of them over the course of the day.

BUT..

I also got the COLD BATTERY ERROR many times on start up.
Then after the camera was turned on for a few seconds and DRAINED just a little power off the battery, all was well,.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have a new plan. I have two gp9s. I will do one short vid and switch em. I'll try to keep a whole cam warm till I'm ready to do dumb stuff
I suppose there is no huge downside to keeping the entire unit warm.
but I am happy I did not have to do that on mine.
Much easier to just leave the GoPro mounted and swap out batteries.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The down side is the warm lens will fog over. Danget!
ya, but that should only last a few MOMENTS till the crystal temp drops and stabilizes.
I would just store the batteries WARM myself if your concerned.

I keep two handwarmers in the handlebar bag and all my batteries are stored right up against them.
Works great for making sure they are ready to ROCK and ROLL at a moment's notice.
Also keeps the phone happy for picture taking...

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Been using the battery works pretty good in both Hero 9 and Hero 10. I got a cold battery warning on Sunday when I was out in 11 degrees. Had the camera in my pocket and it was towards end of the day when it acted up. Not perfect but much improved over the original battery. I got two, one for each camera and use the old ones as backup. It's been unusually cold here in the PNW (~10 degrees vs our normal ~30 degrees) and I can definitely see the difference between the two batteries. Old ones will drop to low battery from 60% out of nowhere.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Been using the battery works pretty good in both Hero 9 and Hero 10. I got a cold battery warning on Sunday when I was out in 11 degrees. Had the camera in my pocket and it was towards end of the day when it acted up. Not perfect but much improved over the original battery. I got two, one for each camera and use the old ones as backup. It's been unusually cold here in the PNW (~10 degrees vs our normal ~30 degrees) and I can definitely see the difference between the two batteries. Old ones will drop to low battery from 60% out of nowhere.
Question for you
What did you do when you got the COLD WARNING?
I was still able to fire up the camera and it seemed to work JUST FINE for me..

Premium Features