• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2.75 3.5” pitch track

T
Nov 11, 2008
I am a fan of the 2.75 so far. Only five days of modest riding but on loose snow she climbs good and on edge it breaks loose and spins around with ease which is what I want.

I have had the 163 3” and wasn’t a fan. The 2.6 I liked but this track isn’t letting me down so far. I haven’t had any ratcheting but others have. Track tension may have an impact on bearing life in the wheels over time as it’s very tight and will have to watch for the wheels cutting into the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
Just a little time on the track for me as well. It’s very similar to the 2.6 in all characteristics. In the deep powder it did seem to hook up a little better. I’m running it tighter than the 2.6, so I may be looking at changing drivers to hopefully take some tension off. I guess avid?

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
The Series 8 track tension spec is back to 1/2-5/8" with 10lbs 16 inches forward of the rear axle (same spec as 2.4 on ProRide) versus 5/8-3/4" with 10lbs as was the spec for Series 6 and 7 tracks. I ran my old rule of thumb setting on the Series 8 (same as series 6/7-- top of inner nubs even with bottom of hyfaxes free hanging with no weight)--- it ratcheted. I'm currently a little looser than spec and ratcheting if I hit something while under load. I'm slowing increasing track tension in hopes of stopping the ratcheting.

T
Nov 11, 2008
The Series 8 track tension spec is back to 1/2-5/8" with 10lbs 16 inches forward of the rear axle (same spec as 2.4 on ProRide) versus 5/8-3/4" with 10lbs as was the spec for Series 6 and 7 tracks. I ran my old rule of thumb setting on the Series 8 (same as series 6/7-- top of inner nubs even with bottom of hyfaxes free hanging with no weight)--- it ratcheted. I'm currently a little looser than spec and ratcheting if I hit something while under load. I'm slowing increasing track tension in hopes of stopping the ratcheting.

Track tension on the series 5 Pro Ride was even tighter at 3/8-1/2” same weight and distance but the big difference was the 8 tooth drivers and having a higher chance of a drive lug catching the track when not at spec vs the 6 tooth having less lugs to drive.

Two less drive lugs and smaller diameter driver will undoubtedly be something to monitor tension on until the tracks are “broken in”. Then hopefully they are not stretching as much.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
And then you are cutting rails for anti stab. I don’t want to really have to go down that path unless it’s completely necessary

Totally your choice.
(It only takes 10 minutes)

I ride hard and stock 7 tooth drivers don’t grip the track well enough.

6 tooth is a step worse.

J
Jan 15, 2016
My 165 is under warranty replacement for the drivers, they aren't the correct drivers. FYI Ive talked to a few different people with ratcheting issues like mine has and gotten theirs warrantied also. Just a heads up to everyone. Their replacing the track also since mine was tearing the windows open when it ratchet.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
My 165 is under warranty replacement for the drivers, they aren't the correct drivers. FYI Ive talked to a few different people with ratcheting issues like mine has and gotten theirs warrantied also. Just a heads up to everyone. Their replacing the track also since mine was tearing the windows open when it ratchet.
what were the "wrong" drivers?

T
Nov 11, 2008
what were the "wrong" drivers?

Yeah it’s not like you can throw a set of 8 tooth 2.86 on there and have it not be a complete disaster.

6 tooth is fine, if they are extroverts. The Center drive just requires too much track tension and if alignment is off wrecks the drive window.

Mine will most likely get the extros in the summer just to increase the track life alone as the tension pushes the rear wheels much to hard into the track. It’s going to split it after awhile.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Worked very well in 3-4 ft of soft, early season snow back at New Years. Better than the 2.6x163 I had last year. In particular, crawling out of a hole and back up on top of the snow. (Yes, there is more to it than the track, but the track definitely played a part). On my way to the Snowys tonight to confirm earlier findings ! :)

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Mine is at about 3/4" at 10# and does ratchet when I come down hard under power. I am worried about tightening it too much after I lost a series 6 track when it split at the rear wheels. I am going to 9" rear wheels with offset axle rather than changing the drivers as this way it will back up better in deep snow too.
See in my picture how the track bulges over the wheels. This cannot be efficient the way it is as it bumps over each rod.

track.jpg

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Mine is at about 3/4" at 10# and does ratchet when I come down hard under power. I am worried about tightening it too much after I lost a series 6 track when it split at the rear wheels. I am going to 9" rear wheels with offset axle rather than changing the drivers as this way it will back up better in deep snow too.
See in my picture how the track bulges over the wheels. This cannot be efficient the way it is as it bumps over each rod.

Yah thats tight, Is the new track fully clipped?

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
No and there is no need for it since Polaris finally started clipping it correctly in 2019. Now clipped on the lugs and not the non-lugged windows.

Nice. Although I personally believe the 3.5” pitch needs to be fully clipped. Ive seen the gains on the doo track, with being able to run it looser and the lower rolling resistance.

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
Only way to run this looser is with avid/extrovert drivers....

500 miles on my khaos, and 3rd time.ive tightened it... and still getting some ratcheting in deep wide open situations.

Seriously going to look into options when I get home.

With my 18 pro with the 2.6 think I tightened it once in 1600 miles. Never had an issue

Premium Features