• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need some advice please

Q
Jan 3, 2008
Eagle River, AK
I'm in a bad spot with my dealer, and I need some advice on what I can/should do. For now, I'll keep the brand of sled and name of dealer out of this until I hear something for sure on my warranty claim. Here's what happened...

I bought my wife a brand new sled, an '09. We took it out to a buddy's cabin in Trapper Creek last weekend for our first ride of the season. Backed it off the trailer, warmed it up, and down the trail we go. No issues whatsoever, wife is loving the sled. We got off in the pow for a few minutes, then continued down the trail.

My and my buddy stop in the trail a little ways ahead after we decend a pretty steep hill. My wife, who was following us, comes FLYING by and finally stops about 20-30 feet past us. She then looks at me and motions to the brake handle...the brakes had totally failed on her coming down the hill.

Long story little bit shorter, I took the sled back to said dealer that day, and was promised they would look at it on Monday. Got a call today, and they are denying my warranty claim...stating that the reason for the brake failure was because my wife forgot to disengage the e-brake. They alledge she rode the entire 10 miles with the e-brake fully engaged.

My wife and I have been riding for three years now. We are not pros, but we're not newbies either. Every single one of us has tried to ride/move a sled that still had the e-brake engaged. It's a pretty distinct and recognizable feeling. There's no way in hell she managed to ride the sled for 30 minutes down a trail at 25mph and then into the powder without noticing that the e-brake was still engaged. It's hard to even move a sled with the e-brake still on...not to mention it smokes like crazy. The sled was absolutely fine all the way up to the point the brakes failed coming down the hill. I am absolutely, positively, 100% sure that e-brake was not on while she was riding it.

Is there anything else I can do? Feels kind of like the dealer just has me by the balls, and that I'm SOL. I mean, it's my word against theirs. My wife went by today, and they were just sarcastic and condescending with her, which infuriates me even more.

Any advice/suggestions/comments welcome. If I can't get them to warranty the sled, we're going to have to park it until we can pay for repairs.

Thanks guys.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I'm in a bad spot with my dealer, and I need some advice on what I can/should do. For now, I'll keep the brand of sled and name of dealer out of this until I hear something for sure on my warranty claim. Here's what happened...

I bought my wife a brand new sled, an '09. We took it out to a buddy's cabin in Trapper Creek last weekend for our first ride of the season. Backed it off the trailer, warmed it up, and down the trail we go. No issues whatsoever, wife is loving the sled. We got off in the pow for a few minutes, then continued down the trail.

My and my buddy stop in the trail a little ways ahead after we decend a pretty steep hill. My wife, who was following us, comes FLYING by and finally stops about 20-30 feet past us. She then looks at me and motions to the brake handle...the brakes had totally failed on her coming down the hill.

Long story little bit shorter, I took the sled back to said dealer that day, and was promised they would look at it on Monday. Got a call today, and they are denying my warranty claim...stating that the reason for the brake failure was because my wife forgot to disengage the e-brake. They alledge she rode the entire 10 miles with the e-brake fully engaged.

My wife and I have been riding for three years now. We are not pros, but we're not newbies either. Every single one of us has tried to ride/move a sled that still had the e-brake engaged. It's a pretty distinct and recognizable feeling. There's no way in hell she managed to ride the sled for 30 minutes down a trail at 25mph and then into the powder without noticing that the e-brake was still engaged. It's hard to even move a sled with the e-brake still on...not to mention it smokes like crazy. The sled was absolutely fine all the way up to the point the brakes failed coming down the hill. I am absolutely, positively, 100% sure that e-brake was not on while she was riding it.

Is there anything else I can do? Feels kind of like the dealer just has me by the balls, and that I'm SOL. I mean, it's my word against theirs. My wife went by today, and they were just sarcastic and condescending with her, which infuriates me even more.

Any advice/suggestions/comments welcome. If I can't get them to warranty the sled, we're going to have to park it until we can pay for repairs.

Thanks guys.

did they show you the parts off the sled? were the pads completely gone? was the rotor turned black from the heat of friction? if no to any of those I think you need to go speak with the owner, ask to talk to the distric rep, and call the manufacturer....

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Are go to a different ski doo dealer.

Last edited:
Q
Jan 3, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Wow, you guys are like detectives or something. I don't think I mentioned that my wife's sled was a Ski Doo did I? Mine is, though.

I wonder if taking it to another dealer would do any good, or if I'll get the cold shoulder from them since I didn't buy the sled there...

A
Nov 26, 2007
Peters Creek, AK
I wonder if taking it to another dealer would do any good, or if I'll get the cold shoulder from them since I didn't buy the sled there...

Thats a good point, as I am dealing with this right now. Took my sled to another dealer since my dealer cant see to do anything right. Service has went WAY down hill. Take it to a second dealer and am told it would be 2 weeks before they could even look at it.

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
Wow, you guys are like detectives or something. I don't think I mentioned that my wife's sled was a Ski Doo did I? Mine is, though.

Go in with a Digital camera and take pictures of the aforementioned parts, that'll get them thinking. What parts are bad? I know my buddies new sled had the throttle stick because it was way too hot under the hood, and brake lines are susceptible to vapor lock... my point is that there are a number of reasons that brakes might fail. By all means take it to another dealer, and tell them that you were treated unprofessionally at your current dealer.

A
Dec 3, 2008
Git mad

I would go in there tell then to fix it and fix it now or you will go over there heads and make it happen,Dont put up with that **** you spent a lot of mony there, There is no way your wife would not know, My wife rides with me and i know she could tell if the brake was on, Git-r-done and good luck to you

S
you definitley need to look at the parts on her machine. the brake pads and rotors would be chewed up, the belt would be smoked and there would also be evidence of high heat on both sides of the engine compartment if the brake had been left on. also, did you check the brake lever position when she got to the bottom of the hill? sounds to me like they are just acting like a bunch of d!ckheads. try another dealer and let them know that you are unsatisfied with what happened at your selling dealer. if they are smart, they should give you top-shelf treatment to try convince you to buy from them next time. sounds like there are enough starving dealers out there that someone else might try to keep you as a loyal customer.

C
Nov 28, 2007
Homer, Alaska
AKFORLIFE, is right on the money... If they aren't going to fix it, find out who manages skidoo regionally, perhaps for the whole northwest. Give them a call and explain your circumstances. Also go get some pictures, ask to see the disc and pads, also check out the brake line and brake fluid level. While your at it, mention that you just want to cover your arse in case you have to take it to small claims court. Also you'll have some pictures to email when talking to Skidoo management. Basically, become a real pain in the arse... lettin them know you aren't about to pay for it to get fixed.

Heres the number for Skidoo: 715-848-4957 U.S.A.

To let you know how good dealers can be... my dealer down here in homer will pull parts of showroom sleds if he doesn't have them in stock just to get us back on the snow that day.

Dec 3, 2007
Legal issues

As an attroney I see a fair amount of this crap from car dealers- fortunately they are bound by tougher laws that snowmobiles. Even so, it is tough to take consumer protection cases because there just isn't enough money in it. Insurance Companies and big business want to persuade the public that attorneys are bad and the root of all evil. The truth is if it weren't for attorneys we would get shafted every time!

In your situation, the best remedy is to make enough waves that the dealer fixes the problem. Hiring a lawyer will likely cost more than the value of the sled- and definitely more than the cost of the repairs- so that is really not an option. If you are outraged enough you can pursue a small claims action against the dealer. Be sure to take pictures and write down everything- who when what where etc. I suspect that by simply filing the action, the dealer will pony up the repair costs. Our legal system is not prefect, maybe not even good, but it is the ONLY means that you have of redressing your greviance aside from throwing a brick through the showroom window (not a good idea) or staging a protest.

As aside, I have often wondered how the manufacturers/dealers get away with touting how their sleds are sooooo light- like 439 pounds (or what ever) but when the sled is actually weighed it is more like 460 or 500 lbs! That sure seems like misrepresentation to me. Sometime I would like to pursue a case on this basis- make these guys tell the truth and not just BS everyone. Anyway good luck.

Reactions: tc_villain
Q
Jan 3, 2008
Eagle River, AK
I saw the parts today. The pads are worn WAY down, and the rotor is cracked in three places. I have no doubt there was some sort of malfunction causing the brake to apply some pressure, which overheated and caused the failure. But I do know that the reason for the failure is not because the e-brake was left on.

The dealer told me today that they submitted a warranty request, and should know something for sure by tomorrow. They also said that they are standing behind me 100%, and doing everything they can to get this replaced under warranty. A slightly different tune than my wife got yesterday, but whatever. If the warranty claim is denied, the denial will come from the manufacturer and not the dealer, and I will take it up with them directly. I won't hold the dealer responsible for doing what the manufacturer instructs them to do, or not to do.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
your the same guy on doo talk, correct ?

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Sounds like she may have accidentally had the park brake on. You even mentioned yourself that it couldnt have been unnoticed due to the obvious feeling of the brake being dragged, but the parts show differently. She should have noticed that the brakes were dragging like that regardless of the cause. Probably just an honest mistake. It happens. Youll be lucky to get warranty on that, but good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Premium Features