• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MtnHorse Snowbike for ski/board access?

A

AlpineSMB

Oct 15, 2008
Random question/thought of the day-
What about the Mountain Horse snowbike for backcountry ski access? Has anyone run a Timbersled MtnHorse snow bike kit and a ski/board rack for bc access?

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
I have lived in plenty of ski towns. Every ski town has one dude that bikes (pedal or moto) to the resort. They all have ski/snoboard racks fabbed up.

You may want to check out TGR Forum. There are a couple of others, but TGR is a pretty good goto

A

AlpineSMB

Oct 15, 2008
not interested in resort access or hauling my ski gear around town on the back of my moto - I'm interested if anyone is utilizing the mountainhorse snow bike conversion for backcountry skiing access instead of a sled. Currently using my sleds for the 5-20 mile approaches to the primo/uncrowded backcountry ski&boarding zones. The snow bike looks a hell of a lot of fun

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
I understand that. However, I was not clear in my post. I was referring to that it is possible to fab up a rack for your mountainhorse. I realize you are looking for folks actually currently using their mountainhorse for BC skiing.

I was merely adding that you could fab up somethimg similar to those guys I referred to and use it for BC access. I did not think you would be riding your mountainhorse around town. Of course, I am not very bright so who knows what I am thinking from moment to moment. I sure don't know.

P
Dec 17, 2009
Timberlakes
I referred to TGR because I was thinking the guys fabbing up for their motos could give you some ideas.

Also, they have a lot of guys that sled access their BC. Perhaps some on a mountainhorse.

Don't see why you couldn't, those things seem to go everywhere.

Oct 16, 2012
BC
Having doubled a sleder off a mtn with my Mtn horse its pretty easy to double on,but once back to main trail they rode on back of another sled to the trucks. You would have to fab up rear foot pegs if your doing alot of doubling. If the guy on the front wears his backpack on his chest leaves more room for the guy on the back.

R
Mar 16, 2010
Did that work well? I've never ridden a snowbike, lots of miles on offroad/dirt bikes - and I can't IMAGINE doubling someone up something I'd want to ski. Front wheel gets too light. Maybe the track helps that.

I got a utility sled last year, and I freaking love it - especially if there's a road in, it is DESIGNED for two people, comfortable, relaxing, ahhh - Canadian on a sled is easy enough, but being able to just sit down and relax is a good thing; riding double on a snowbike seems like a lot of work.

Now, it sounds like the OP is envisioning using the bike to get to the BOTTOM of the skiing area - then skin up. I guess it'd work for that just fine, but seems like a $$$$$$ way to get there, when you could pick up a couple of M7s or whatever for the cost of the kit alone.

Dunno. I suspect it could work, ESPECIALLY for just GETTING there, but I'm not sure it is better.....

....unless that's what you've got & you don't want to buy a sled! Then it makes all the sense in the world.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
All I gotta say is if you go that route, you absolutely owe it to this little minority skier/boarder subforum to post some video of the tandem process. :D

Premium Features