• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving to Utah

FocusJR

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2010
Ogden, UT
I am finally leaving the flat lands behind and moving to Utah. My new job would be near Tremonton. I have been mountain riding for 8 years but only a few times per year during a vacation. I am looking forward to being able to ride all winter.

I'd be open to hearing people's opinion on good areas or towns to live in. My wife wants to stay with in twenty minutes of shopping or restaurants. I am willing to drive 45 mins to work give or take.

Just from internet searches, the top areas on my radar now are Logan, Ogden, and North Ogden.

Any other areas I should include in my search? Should I focus on certain areas of some of these towns over others?

Also, I don't have a good idea of riding areas in Utah, as I usually ride in Idaho/Montana. I am guessing any of these locations would have good access. Are the majority of areas Northeast, south east, or all over?

Thanks

S
Sep 22, 2013
Idaho
I have never lived in Ogden but logan is very nice. Ogden will put you closer to slc (more shopping and all of that) but more traffic and more people. Logan is a gorgeous valley will some of the best riding anywhere. Good luck with your decision wherever you land I think you'll be happy

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
I live in the Brigham City area, it's a nice community for a family. Twenty minutes to Ogden or Tremonton, thirty to Logan. It's a town of about 20,000 maybe a little less. Some of the best riding 50 miles away in Logan Canyon. Monte Cristo is about the same distance up Ogden Canyon. We also have riding in Mantua about 5 miles up our canyon, but it is a shorter season because of the lower elevation. Good Luck! The're lots of great places in Northern Utah to live.

Last edited:

gqapex

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2008
Logan is nice, I live in West Haven which is just west of ogden a mile or so it is a nice country setting/atmosphere. I like it here cuz your kind of in the middle of popular riding areas. No matter where you choose I'll build you a house if ya can't seem to find one that has everything your looking for then show you around to some rideing areas I like.

FocusJR

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2010
Ogden, UT
Thanks everyone for the input, it helps. I think I am going to rent month to month for a few months while I can get a feel for the area and the real estate situation. Ogden valley does seem to be a nice in between from work or SLC.

I don't think a new house is in the cards right now, but I appreciate the offer. I will probably find a nice dated one with good bones that I can update myself.

I'm pretty sure by the time I get moved out and settled the snow will be gone, but I am excited to ride next year. I will probably be back on here looking for riding partners in December.

N
Feb 16, 2009
tremonton, UTAH
I live in Tremonton which is on the smaller side of towns but only 20 min to logan, and 20 min to brigham. I ride preston, id, logan canyon, monty, mantua, but the best I belive is Farmington canyon and bountiful and im about 1 hour from those two. everything else is about 45 min. so im kinda centered from everything

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah

Logan's pretty okay I guess. This picture was taken less than 45 min from my house, which is down in that valley, and less than 30 min to the parking lot. Tremonton and Brigham are on the other side of those mountains in the distance. We have some of the best riding in the west, and a ton of other summer activities, but my summer activities include snowmobiling. We've still got another month or two left. which will make it probably 9 months on the snow this year.

B
Sep 19, 2010
Utah/South Dakota

Logan's pretty okay I guess. This picture was taken less than 45 min from my house, which is down in that valley, and less than 30 min to the parking lot. Tremonton and Brigham are on the other side of those mountains in the distance. We have some of the best riding in the west, and a ton of other summer activities, but my summer activities include snowmobiling. We've still got another month or two left. which will make it probably 9 months on the snow this year.

Thanks for taking us to this view last week. It is one of my favorite views from this past riding season!

FocusJR

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2010
Ogden, UT

That's a solid case for Logan. - Thanks TGitt. I have only ridden in Utah for one day. It was east of Heber. A lot of fun and easier terrain which was good because I had the wife with me.
I could live with a 7-9 month season :face-icon-small-hap

FocusJR

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2010
Ogden, UT
Good Real Estate Agent?

Does anyone know of a real estate agent that they've had a good experience with? I always prefer a word of mouth tip over just a google search.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Amanda Jorgenson. 801-597-6446. Tell her Phatty sent ya. :face-icon-small-coo

Cases not to live in logan: traffic, inversion, politics, little boy blue football. nasty commute to tremonton in the winter.... did i mention TRAFFIC? sucks getting around in logan. takes you 30 minutes to get from one end of town to the other...

Id stick with brigham city if you are going to work in tremonton. if you plan on getting another job close to SLC, i would look into ogden or further south.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I use to love standing on that rock. Now that my kids are old enough to ride I'm a nervous wreck whenever I'm there because I'm sure one of them are going fall off or get a friendly push from their siblings. You can not beat the view though.

Premium Features