• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mototrax "Forksafe" spindle

M
Mar 14, 2012
Always been using the ts ski.

What do you dislike in the feel of the MTX spindle, I spindle has alot more flex in the front than any other spindle, some people love it (me) other do not and what a more solid feel.

I have tested some cross braces lately that make the ski frame WAY more ridged and precise, it deep snow I do like the setup but I like the flex a lot more on the trail.

Also we have some spacers for the YZ style forks that rest on the base of the lower nuts and protect you fork bottom and adjuster screws so that they do not receive the damage shown above, if interested just call our customer support line and tell them that you have a YZ and you would like the fork bottom spacers.

This includes anybody that has a YZ and a fork safe.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I made some donut spacers for my oc ktm forks too. They didn't crack but were starting to mushroom over enough that i wouldn't be able to get the base valves out without some grinding. I like the spindle and don't mind the flex but some fork specific donuts should probably be included with each kit. I also made a short aluminum strap to keep it from rotating forward.

N
Mar 21, 2016
NW oregon
What do you dislike in the feel of the MTX spindle, I spindle has alot more flex in the front than any other spindle, some people love it (me) other do not and what a more solid feel.

I have tested some cross braces lately that make the ski frame WAY more ridged and precise, it deep snow I do like the setup but I like the flex a lot more on the trail.

Also we have some spacers for the YZ style forks that rest on the base of the lower nuts and protect you fork bottom and adjuster screws so that they do not receive the damage shown above, if interested just call our customer support line and tell them that you have a YZ and you would like the fork bottom spacers.

It might give YZ owners a warm fuzzy feeling about your company if you include them in the fit kit for those bikes. Again, how are we supposed to know about these products before we ruin our expensive fork parts?

M

MFJ

Jan 14, 2016
Why does everyone seem to be ok with having to perform modifications to get these kits to work properly? Please realize that this isn't the case with the other manufacturers. Is there no expectation for something to work as advertised and marketed?

Reactions: KTMDirtFace

Backcountry_Rider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2009
Mount Vernon
Why does everyone seem to be ok with having to perform modifications to get these kits to work properly? Please realize that this isn't the case with the other manufacturers. Is there no expectation for something to work as advertised and marketed?

Have you not owned or installed other brand kits? I don't remember my non-mtx being a simple bolt on install. Give them a chance, if they succeed they'll only further the sport.

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon

I don't think that is exactly accurate. Mototrax seems to be having more than their share but each have had their problems.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah

My biggest complaint with the mtx spindle ( other than the damage to my forks) was my front end washing out in powder. Going back to the TS solved that problem. After I switched, the bike seemed less darty/more stable hitting hard snow. I also found the bike seemed to have a sharper turn radius.
I am running a 2016 timber sled long track with TSS. I imagine the spindle will work differently with different kits. That is just my experience with my particular set up.
In my opinion, if you guys have a fix for the fork damage problem on the YZ's it should be sent free of charge IMMEDIATELY to everyone who ordered a yz kit or spindle.
I understand there are growing pains with any new company. Please don't be discouraged, just keep working hard to fix the problems that have popped up, and support the customers who have supported you.
I am not brand loyal to anybody. I will buy whatever kit I think will work the best for me and that I will have the most fun on. Cheers.

Reactions: Throndson
T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
Personally I'm still not satisfied with the situation.
A vague mention from someone who appears to be associated with moto-trax ("moto for life") on an update that I'm sure has as much or less R&D completed than the original setup.
That being said I took my issue to social media as my Email interaction with Moto Trax left me with no solution to the problem and some bad advice from them to continue using it.
At that point I realized Moto Trax could not provide me with what I had originally been sold on. A fork safe spindle that doesn't wreck your forks.
So rather than to pull a mototrax on some poor unsuspecting snowbiker and flog my spindle I figured I would take the high road and try and make the info public and hopefully prevent anyone else with having to go through this unpleasant and expensive experience.
It also sounds to me that the update "moto for life" mentioned came from "timbersled Mtn Horse snowbike" group on facebook which I also posted this issue in and someone had mentioned cutting a socket down and using as a spacer to take the force of the fork lowers.
Seems to me like mototrax is trolling social Media and taking ideas on how to fix there product. It would seem more productive if mototrax actually did some real R&D rather than rushing there product to market to "Cash In" on any one who fell for there marketing ploy "the best snowbike is here"
It blows me away that they obviously put less than 20 hours into testing this product before releasing it to market.

Reactions: n16ht5 and MFJ

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
It also sounds to me that the update "moto for life" mentioned came from "timbersled Mtn Horse snowbike" group on facebook which I also posted this issue in and someone had mentioned cutting a socket down and using as a spacer to take the force of the fork lowers.

LOL , Lets just create another problem by putting a piece of steel in there , ingenious , actually doesn't surprise me hearing it from that group .

Sorry for your loss

Just do what you need to do and move on , none of these guys are gonna do you any favors .

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
My biggest complaint with the mtx spindle ( other than the damage to my forks) was my front end washing out in powder. Going back to the TS solved that problem. After I switched, the bike seemed less darty/more stable hitting hard snow. I also found the bike seemed to have a sharper turn radius.
I am running a 2016 timber sled long track with TSS. I imagine the spindle will work differently with different kits. That is just my experience with my particular set up.
In my opinion, if you guys have a fix for the fork damage problem on the YZ's it should be sent free of charge IMMEDIATELY to everyone who ordered a yz kit or spindle.
I understand there are growing pains with any new company. Please don't be discouraged, just keep working hard to fix the problems that have popped up, and support the customers who have supported you.
I am not brand loyal to anybody. I will buy whatever kit I think will work the best for me and that I will have the most fun on. Cheers.

Curious if you checked the spindle pivot point offset on mtx vs timbersled mount? Also if the ski pivoted on the rubber mount more on one than the other?
My mtx mount had the pivot point way forward of the axle center. I moved it back about 4" and it changed the on trail handling immensely. The powder handling still washed out. I'm thinking that is because the ski pivoted on the rubber snubber way to far. I made a new shim to tighten it up. I haven't had a chance to test that yet.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Curious if you checked the spindle pivot point offset on mtx vs timbersled mount? Also if the ski pivoted on the rubber mount more on one than the other?
My mtx mount had the pivot point way forward of the axle center. I moved it back about 4" and it changed the on trail handling immensely. The powder handling still washed out. I'm thinking that is because the ski pivoted on the rubber snubber way to far. I made a new shim to tighten it up. I haven't had a chance to test that yet.

Offset was actually fairly similar. I never took an exact measurement but held a level up to em both and they were both back between a half inch and an inch.
You could be right about the ski pivoting. My ski was floppy as hell in the MTX spindle. Tried a couple things to tighten up, but never got it to good before I gave up due to other reasons. Fit very snug in the timbersled of course. Rode this afternoon/tonight after getting hammered with snow again. Couldn't be happier with my decision to change spindles. The season is too short to be messing around.

T
Jan 19, 2008
Kootenays
Offset was actually fairly similar. I never took an exact measurement but held a level up to em both and they were both back between a half inch and an inch.
You could be right about the ski pivoting. My ski was floppy as hell in the MTX spindle. Tried a couple things to tighten up, but never got it to good before I gave up due to other reasons. Fit very snug in the timbersled of course. Rode this afternoon/tonight after getting hammered with snow again. Couldn't be happier with my decision to change spindles. The season is too short to be messing around.

Well said!
I also noticed less washouts and a stiffer feel with the TS spindle. I prefer the ride feel of it over the mototrax setup.

M
Mar 14, 2012

Thanks for the response, we do have have spacers that protect the lower casting and adjusters on the YZs and yes they are available for free. We developed them in response the the comments on here and through our customer service which is getting a lot better with the new ticket system.

Also I think that you might benefit from the braced ski frame I have been testing this year.

Basically its the same frame with two cross shaft style braces in the center, it stiffens the mid section drastically which causes for very precise steering. I liked it in deep snow but not on the trail as it seemed two stiff, I like a little flex.

I will see if I can get a pic later.

Reactions: needpowder
H
Jan 24, 2014
CRANBROOK B.C
Thanks for the response, we do have have spacers that protect the lower casting and adjusters on the YZs and yes they are available for free. We developed them in response the the comments on here and through our customer service which is getting a lot better with the new ticket system.

Also I think that you might benefit from the braced ski frame I have been testing this year.

Basically its the same frame with two cross shaft style braces in the center, it stiffens the mid section drastically which causes for very precise steering. I liked it in deep snow but not on the trail as it seemed two stiff, I like a little flex.

I will see if I can get a pic later.

Ticket System?
Sounds like your at the DMV, longer wait though.
3 sets of fit parts for a 2017 KX 450 did not fit .
(axle spacers)
The measurements were sent to you 3 months ago . Finally we had a local machine shop to build a set.
Any of these ski frames for a Timbersled ski will not work unless you modify them ,to get the right trailing.

Reactions: n16ht5
L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
Ticket System?
Sounds like your at the DMV, longer wait though.
3 sets of fit parts for a 2017 KX 450 did not fit .
(axle spacers)
The measurements were sent to you 3 months ago . Finally we had a local machine shop to build a set.
Any of these ski frames for a Timbersled ski will not work unless you modify them ,to get the right trailing.

Just to piggyback. My axle spacers on my 13 yz450f were way off too. I had to get them machined down. All I got was, "well I'm glad you figured it out." from them. Yeah, thanks guys!:face-icon-small-fro

HalfBrit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2013
nw oregon
Ok. I tried the ski all tightened up with the shim i built. Huge improvement no plowing ar all. I kept getting ready to crash. But nope popped right back up and away I'd go. Side hilling improved as well. The 8.5 ski still sucks for float. But after dropping in powder it works it's way to the top better because the pressure of the snow on the front of the ski pushes the bike up instead of tipping the ski and slowing forward progression

Reactions: Norma Stitz
M
Mar 14, 2012
Just to piggyback. My axle spacers on my 13 yz450f were way off too. I had to get them machined down. All I got was, "well I'm glad you figured it out." from them. Yeah, thanks guys!:face-icon-small-fro

Sorry for the issues, I can tell you we are working on much better service company wide and if you need anything else please call customer service at 1-800-378-6957 and ask for Danny, the new system is working great and our ability to respond to request is vastly improved and we are not "Forgetting People" anymore.

M
Mar 14, 2012
Ok. I tried the ski all tightened up with the shim i built. Huge improvement no plowing ar all. I kept getting ready to crash. But nope popped right back up and away I'd go. Side hilling improved as well. The 8.5 ski still sucks for float. But after dropping in powder it works it's way to the top better because the pressure of the snow on the front of the ski pushes the bike up instead of tipping the ski and slowing forward progression

What year kit our you running? I assume a 16 model as you mention a 8.5" ski.

Premium Features