• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Most miles driven in one day?

oldstyle33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2009
Omaha, NE
What is the most miles anyone has driven on a snowmobile in one day? We were just reminiscing with my family about our first trip to the snowies in 2004. We had no idea what to do from albany and we just rode trails all day and ended with 208 miles. Crazy! Now if we get 40 miles in a day riding the backcountry.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I would say in my experience the quality of the ride is inversely proportional to the miles achieved. Meaning, if you're putting on a bunch of miles, it's obviously trail miles, which blows. I've spend an entire tank of fuel (both the sled and me) within 35 miles. I've been completely exhausted after only 12 miles on the GPS (and 4 hours). It's all about the quality of the ride, not the length.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
A friend of mine still enjoys high milage trail riding in Canada and mountain riding with us out west.
A few years back they had a group of 3-4 guys that put on just over 1000 miles in 24 hours. It was a challenge that keept getting "one uped" by another group. they figured if they could hit 1,000 miles that would seal the deal. lol

Its not uncommon to ride 300-400 miles in a day in eastern canada.

I will stick with 30-40 miles a day off trail :) Eric

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Typically when I've gone back country we ride will we get stuck/tired enough then take the trails back to eat lunch, stuck some more, a little trail ride to next spot, stucks, and back. It typically ends up being 80 or so miles depending how far we trail for the stucks!

D
Nov 20, 2005
I would say in my experience the quality of the ride is inversely proportional to the miles achieved. Meaning, if you're putting on a bunch of miles, it's obviously trail miles, which blows. I've spend an entire tank of fuel (both the sled and me) within 35 miles. I've been completely exhausted after only 12 miles on the GPS (and 4 hours). It's all about the quality of the ride, not the length.

here here

oldstyle33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2009
Omaha, NE
I couldnt agree more with the backcountry riding... 40-50 miles is a good day! We rode this many miles on the first trip ever to the Snowies. I should have been more specific to the snowy range.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
When I was a younger man if I didn't make a hundred miles in a day I considered it a crappy day. And that was Cooke and TOW 25 and more years ago. We would leave at 3 or 4 in the morning to go and get home at 9 or 10 at night. And Cooke and TOW has Hardly any trail riding. It was none stop and always had to go in to town for a tank or 2 of gas. Now that I am older 50 is a good day and if you have to throw gas in the sled to get back to the truck that is even a better day.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Hard to compare because of: age, sled technology, mountain vrs trail, did I mention age.:face-icon-small-hap
Trail riding back in the UP MI 568 miles in 10 hours. 20 years ago.
Good day in the mountains is about 50 to 70 over a time of 6 to 8 hours or when one has to empty is spare gas into a sled.
Stick a fork in me after a day of mountain riding, it is aerobics on sleds.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
My longest ride was 333 miles in one ride. 5200 miles in one season.
My longest trip was......
Loaded our sleds and gear on the Snow Train in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and took the nine hour train ride to Hearst Ontario. Rode from Hearst in northern Ontario south to Lake Huron. Rode the snow less lake for a while, took a ferry for two miles across the north channel of Lake Huron. Rode from Drummond Island MI all the way across state the of Michigan and across the state of Wisconsin, and into Minnesota. One province, three states, one train ride, one ferry ride, and 1600+ sled miles, in five days. No injuries or break downs.
I now much prefer mountain riding especially the part where I can't go through a tank of gas in a day and still have a blast!:face-icon-small-win
What ever your passion is. Trail riding or off trail riding is still better than going to work!!!:bounce:

S
Oct 1, 2002
NY
My longest ride was 333 miles in one ride. 5200 miles in one season.
My longest trip was......
Loaded our sleds and gear on the Snow Train in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and took the nine hour train ride to Hearst Ontario. Rode from Hearst in northern Ontario south to Lake Huron. Rode the snow less lake for a while, took a ferry for two miles across the north channel of Lake Huron. Rode from Drummond Island MI all the way across state the of Michigan and across the state of Wisconsin, and into Minnesota. One province, three states, one train ride, one ferry ride, and 1600+ sled miles, in five days. No injuries or break downs.
I now much prefer mountain riding especially the part where I can't go through a tank of gas in a day and still have a blast!:face-icon-small-win
What ever your passion is. Trail riding or off trail riding is still better than going to work!!!:bounce:[/QUOTE]

Yep all that matters!

S
Aug 11, 2010
Wisconsin
528 in a day

A few years ago my buddy and I rode from northern WI into the UP then over to MN and back to northern WI. It was 328 miles never again will I do that. It was fun up to MN then coming back really started to suck. Trails were great until we got by MN.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Most exhausting and most miles was a day we nearly spent the night on the mtn. Trying a new x country route through back country and the snow was really not bad. You could get momentum but to much technical and you would be stuck. We ended up with 3 of us fighting it most of the day for about 50 miles and the sun was setting. We figured we could make it before sunset but than a sled ran out of fuel. 2 guys doubled up (really slow going after that)and we were trying to get out to a trail at least when second sled ran out of fuel. I rode out alone and had to burn trails down to Albany get fuel and burn back. I fortunately found my crew around 8 that night. All in all 80 miles and was back at hotel by 10 pm. Long day indeed and a smidge of fear sets in when you know your alone in the dark to.

Reactions: Engine Pro 5x

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Most exhausting and most miles was a day we nearly spent the night on the mtn. Trying a new x country route through back country and the snow was really not bad. You could get momentum but to much technical and you would be stuck. We ended up with 3 of us fighting it most of the day for about 50 miles and the sun was setting. We figured we could make it before sunset but than a sled ran out of fuel. 2 guys doubled up (really slow going after that)and we were trying to get out to a trail at least when second sled ran out of fuel. I rode out alone and had to burn trails down to Albany get fuel and burn back. I fortunately found my crew around 8 that night. All in all 80 miles and was back at hotel by 10 pm. Long day indeed and a smidge of fear sets in when you know your alone in the dark to.
That is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: oldstyle33
E

elvi

Feb 20, 2008
In the MTNS
Reactions: Scott

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I did a 60.5 mile day last week at Lolo Pass. It was long!!!! I was tired.

Premium Features