• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mike Wiegele Heliskiing Blue River

This guy is a real tool all right.

http://www.canada.com/Call+made+backcountry+snowmobile/1561476/story.html

Call made for B.C. backcountry snowmobile ban.

Canwest News ServiceMay 4, 2009

VANCOUVER- The owner of B.C.'s largest heli-ski operation is calling for a ban on snowmobiling in British Columbia's mountains, following 19 deaths this year.

Drastic measures need to be taken to prevent further fatalities, says Mike Wiegele, a founding member of the Canadian Avalanche Association.

``It's totally unacceptable that people are dying in large numbers. It's an epidemic,'' he said Sunday. ``Snowmobilers are out of control. They go into closed areas without caring about anybody else.''

Mike Wiegele Helicopter Skiing operates between Jasper, Alta., and Kamloops, B.C.

Wiegele said search and rescue staff were traumatized by one fatality last year in which the coroner was delayed recovering a body.

``We found (the victim's) face chewed off by wild animals,'' Wiegele said. ``It was very upsetting to staff.''

He called for provincial snowmobiling guidelines, an ``expert inspector'' hired for all commercial operations using Crown land, more monitoring stations with info on snow stability, and steps to hold all snowmobile groups responsible for back-country accidents.
Wiegele said there is a world of difference between heli-skiing, which his company has worked in for decades, and snowmobilers heading blithely to uncharted steep terrain.

``Years of experience in the back country are needed to be safe. We have medical people on staff and belong to international mountaineering organizations,'' said Wiegele.

Vancouver Province

What if the tables are turned one day and he has to rely on snowmobiles to rescue a heli down in poor weather, do we have the right to call for a ban on back country skiing?

Express your thoughts in a professional manner on his web site.

K.

I just left a comment on his web page. I doubt it will make his view on sledders change.

I just read Mr Wiegele's comments in the Vancouver Province Newspaper and are extremely unimpressed of his one sided bias. I would like to point out that well sledders did make up more the half of the people killed on the hills this season. Skiers were far from zero them selves. http://avalanche.org/accidents.php?date=&sort= I will continue to ride in the Blue River area and support the organizations that try to keep all areas of British Columbia open to snwmobilling. There is no reason to close the backcountry for one sport. Every one should have the oppertunity to use the backcountry skiers and sledders alike.

Kelvin Nahm

pano-dude,you obviously have not met Mike Wiegele.Though I do not think burning his lodge down would be a good idea,I do think that Wiegele is way out of line with his suggestion of banning us.I have met him before,and he was a total prick when I talked to him.He acted like he owned all of the land around Blue River.He did not know I was a sledder at the time,as I was skiing with his company,and he talked nothing but smack about us,and that he would love to shut us down.

huh I woulda had a harm time not making some smart ace remarks when he was bashing sledders....props to ya.

this would be a very bad idea, I hope you are kidding. And I hope some newbie doesnt read this and think its a good idea.

he competes with snowmobilers for area tenure on a level we cant compete with. Lobbyists, free ski weekends for gov't officials and on and on.

the best we can do is be on our best behavior and get involved where we can to fight. giving evidence of tracking his area up would be more for him to use against us.

Just watching, but is it his area? Where we have encountered cat skiing, we stay away out of courtesy to the operator and guests. But they operated on a Forest Service Permit. They do not have exclusive rights to land down here. Good luck with your "celebrity" fight.

Didn't Wiegele loose 2 guests to a slide over a cliff last year?

If I remember correctly he was even one of the guides with the group that lost the people.

Does anyone have info on this?

I've snowboarded with his company in the past. It was a well organized operation with huge money behind it. One of the private 212 tours was over $100,000 per week.

His motives are transparent...greed. He works against the sledders because they track up some of his best lines close to base. He wants to keep those lines as untracked as he can to keep his guests happier.

Instead of trying to take down back country access for the sledders, he should be trying to make up a workable plan to educate sledders on avalanche situations. This year was a bad year for avy deaths all over the west... even inbounds at resorts. Now would be the time for him to step outside of himself and offer education for the backcountry experience.

He is giving the environmental radicals the ammunition to deny even HIS renewal of land use privelages as well as other companies like Selkirk Tangiers, Mica Creek and and many other operators that get their income from backcountry access in addition to the snowmobile community.

In France, a few years back, there was a tragic death of Doug Combs.... an avalance EXPERT & Heli operator. He put himself on an icredibly dangerous slope and paid the ultimate price.

In the words of his wife, Emile.
“You know, the mountains are full of dangers, and they swallow you up. But mostly, they give.”

Shame on you Mike. You should be promoting backcountry education and not blatanly trying to forward your own interests in a thinly veiled attempt to limit non-heli use of the the terrain you have on loan from the citizens of Canada.

Shame on you Mike. You should be promoting backcountry education and not blatanly trying to forward your own interests in a thinly veiled attempt to limit non-heli use of the the terrain you have on loan from the citizens of Canada.
AMEN!!!!!

and as SummerSucks stated, make sure that you are leaving professional and reasonable comments on his page. Ignorant statements and threats will only be used against us and do not represent all sledders views. He went to the media once, it is likely he will do it again and this time he would have more ammo to sway the popular vote. Any time he gets his mug on TV with his company name under his portrait is free advertising. Let's not help him promote his agenda - let's work to promote ours.

NSC

MISSION STATEMENT
Who We Are
Mike Wiegele Helicopter Skiing is a Canadian family owned and operated company dedicated to supplying the finest skiing / boarding experience in the world.

canadian family wtf?

What We Do chase sledders in my chopper b/c we know choppers dont harm the cariboo
At Mike Wiegele Helicopter Skiing, we accept responsibility entrusted upon us to develop resources, conduct our operations and provide exceptional service to our customers.

What We Commit To distroyin vailmount & blue river
Implement the high standards of customer service by exceeding our guests' expectations in all aspects of operations.
Operate within all government requirements. money talks
Act as responsible corporate citizens and support the community of Blue River. haha
Provide a safe and rewarding workplace for our staff.
Actively participate in the setting of industry safety standards.
Continuously research and improve our accident loss prevention and safety program.
Care for and protect the environment and wildlife.
Constantly strive for corporate financial stability.
Enhance and expand employee benefits.
Develop good relationships with our suppliers.
Seek partnerships with financiers.
Understand and accept responsibility to act in accordance with these commitments and be accountable for our actions. We Care.
What We Value
We accept the responsibilities detailed in the Mission Statement and ensure our actions adhere to the objectives outlined there.
We ensure the safety and satisfaction of all guests. tree-wells what tree-wells?
We value integrity, reliability and honesty and conduct ourselves according to those values.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back