• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MI DNR to start heavy Sound Meter Testing

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
It it detrimental to our sport to create a frenzy about enforcement that just isnt happening. People reading comments about excessive enforcement that isnt true only adds to the fear for tourism.

Sometimes posts like these aren't meant to be harmful to our sport or scare people away. Posts like these are more informational than anything. This post started off by informing everyone in MI that there will be sound checks. Its a cover your rear type post.

pindallout

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
51st State Da U.P., eh!
The MDNR Testing is as follows;

Meter Placement:

At a 90 degree angle from exhaust outlet.
157 1/2" away.
48" off of the ground.
Sled Stationary.
Apply Brake.
Engine to 4000 rpm.
Repeat Three Times for Average.

ASE has recently changed testing procedures. The MDNR has requested use of that test. SAE wants to charge the MDNR a copyright release for each Officer they have so 200+ times x amount. Then an additional fee to use the standard in their policy and procedures.

http://standards.sae.org/j2567_201511/

In order for the above technical info, you do have to pay for it. I question a "safety" standard being used that you have to pay for. A company will keep coming up with a new one to keep their sales up.........

BTW, each District has the testing equipment. They have conducted several testing sites so far this year.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI

Meter Placement:

157 1/2" away.
48" off of the ground.
Sled Stationary.
Apply Brake.
Engine to 4000 rpm.

ASE has recently changed testing procedures. The MDNR has requested use of that test. SAE wants to charge the MDNR a copyright release for each Officer they have so 200+ times x amount. Then an additional fee to use the standard in their policy and procedures.

In order for the above technical info, you do have to pay for it. I question a "safety" standard being used that you have to pay for. A company will keep coming up with a new one to keep their sales up.........

BTW, each District has the testing equipment. They have conducted several testing sites so far this year.

Thank you for this!!!

SuperAir

Lifetime Membership
Apr 20, 2015
Yeah I had to pay to get the copies of the motorcycle test procedure as we deal with this constantly with motorcycles in NH. I argued with the state that if they wanted a certain procedure followed they should provide copies of that procedure but they can't because of copyright laws.

The latest info posted above makes much more sense. Something wasn't adding up about stock machines not passing. I brought my test equipment home tonight and will test a couple of my sleds this weekend just to see what's what.

For casual reference, a 103 cubic inch Harley with performance exhaust and free flowing (2.25") baffles is right around 92 DB at idle with the meter 20 inches out @ 45* angle from the exhaust outlet on the same plane . That equates to about 106 DB @ 20 inches at 2500 RPM.

Also Decibel readings don't increase proportionately either. If you have 2 100db motorcycles running side by side the total DB level isn't 200 it's like 102-103. So a few DB change can sound like a large difference to the human ear.

SuperAir

Lifetime Membership
Apr 20, 2015

Meter Placement:

157 1/2" away.
48" off of the ground.
Sled Stationary.
Apply Brake.
Engine to 4000 rpm.

Everything I can obtain for " free" seems to indicate the test procedure for the new revision is the same as the old one but the new revision is 82dB @ 2500rpm instead of 88db @ 4000rpm

I believe the only reason for the change in the new test was because 4 strokes are already cooking down the trail @4000rpm

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Yeah I had to pay to get the copies of the motorcycle test procedure as we deal with this constantly with motorcycles in NH. I argued with the state that if they wanted a certain procedure followed they should provide copies of that procedure but they can't because of copyright laws.

The latest info posted above makes much more sense. Something wasn't adding up about stock machines not passing. I brought my test equipment home tonight and will test a couple of my sleds this weekend just to see what's what.

For casual reference, a 103 cubic inch Harley with performance exhaust and free flowing (2.25") baffles is right around 92 DB at idle with the meter 20 inches out @ 45* angle from the exhaust outlet on the same plane . That equates to about 106 DB @ 20 inches at 2500 RPM.

Also Decibel readings don't increase proportionately either. If you have 2 100db motorcycles running side by side the total DB level isn't 200 it's like 102-103. So a few DB change can sound like a large difference to the human ear.

So could it be that the officers in certain areas are not properly trained thus issuing wrongful citations?

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
It it detrimental to our sport to create a frenzy about enforcement that just isnt happening. People reading comments about excessive enforcement that isnt true only adds to the fear for tourism.

Snowest is primarily a mountain riding forum. That's why the Michigan section in so lame with very few readers. I don't think we're going to create a "frenzy" with a little banter on here. It's more information sharing - like where a speed trap is located.

A lot of us ride cans/turbos in the mountains, so we'd like to know the kind of testing LE is conducting.

SuperAir

Lifetime Membership
Apr 20, 2015
So could it be that the officers in certain areas are not properly trained thus issuing wrongful citations?

It's possible. Not saying that is the case here but I have seen it before in certain towns in my area.

I did some quick tests tonight for reference. Wanted to test a few of my sleds but didn't have time to get them out as I worked all day.

I did test my bone stock 2015 RMK600 though. I didn't get to technical with the set-up as I was pressed for time. Here is the lowdown:

I used an Extech ANSI type 2 meter($400) as well as an el cheapo $50 Radio Shack unit-which is not certified for law enforcement testing.

I parked the sled on 1" loose unpacked snow over frozen grass. Set a pole 15' out at 90* to exhaust outlet 48" high. Warmed sled to 120*F. I calibrated the meter to a 94DB tone before the test. I had my son operate the throttle while seated on the sled with the parking brake set.

Meter was set on A scale and slow response per test guidelines.
At 2500 RPM I got a reading of 71.2db on the Extech and 72 even on the cheapie. At 4000 rpm the reading was 76 on the Extech and 75 on the radio shack unit. I also checked it at idle "just because" and it was 67.9db.

I also changed the meter settings over to C scale and did a 4000 rpm test and it was 88.3db. The Extech automatically comes on in the A scale. The less expensive tester comes on in C scale and you have to manually switch it over. If the officer has the scale setting wrong you can see the end result(a 12-13 DB difference).

There are a lot of other factors with the test procedure but I don't want to type a book and no one wants to read one ...so...this is a summary I guess.

I also realized while typing this I was supposed to test at 157" which is about 13' not 15' but I'm guessing the extra foot or two would only make a 2 maybe 3 DB difference at most.

In short, there is zero chance a stock RMK 600 failed this test if it was performed properly

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
So basically you can get ****ed if the dnr/LE doing the test has no clue what they are doing. Thats awesome. Interestingly enough ive been riding out in the soo/brimley/raco/strongs areas and have yet to see any kind of checkpoints or anything. I bought my can because it should meet the standards set fourth with room to spare, 84 db at wfo and 75 db at 4000rpm according to the test dynotech did. The fact that somehow brand new sleds arent passing the tests tells me something is way out of whack.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
You want to come over to my place and test my machine then?

As for the men that were ticketed, they were not issued citations for their exhaust systems. They were issues tickets for not having a MI trail sticker on their sleds. As for the little box I saw the officer holding and the reving I still didn't get an answer on. So from my point of view it looked like tickets for exhaust but in actuality it was for no trail permits. For that assumption I am sorry to you guys as I was not trying to start a big rant and rave about law enforcement especially since I have friends and family in law enforcement.

Have fun and be safe out there especially with this being I-500 Week. You will find me at the track all week and weekend, look for the SnoWest banner on my Super Duty flying around.

Last edited:

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
As for the men that were ticketed, they were not issued citations for their exhaust systems. They were issues tickets for not having a MI trail sticker on their sleds.

I'm assuming you just found this out??? In your previous post it sure sounded like you were sure the guys got tickets for their exhaust. :face-icon-small-dis

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
I'm assuming you just found this out??? In your previous post it sure sounded like you were sure the guys got tickets for their exhaust. :face-icon-small-dis

Yes I have a friend that was able to look up the logs for that day.

At the time you are damn right I was sure that is what happened.

R
Jan 26, 2016
So basically you can get ****ed if the dnr/LE doing the test has no clue what they are doing. Thats awesome. Interestingly enough ive been riding out in the soo/brimley/raco/strongs areas and have yet to see any kind of checkpoints or anything. I bought my can because it should meet the standards set fourth with room to spare, 84 db at wfo and 75 db at 4000rpm according to the test dynotech did. The fact that somehow brand new sleds arent passing the tests tells me something is way out of whack.

Based on the intial complaint at the start of this thread, the Michigan DNR in Lansing reviewed the post and contacted a Polaris Engineer Directly. The Rush Pro RMK 800 was 79.4 DB and the Axys 800 was 72.3 DB. None of their stock sleds exceed the DB limit from the factory. None of the testing on any stock sled has exceeded the DB limits thus far. Hope this helps. If you are concerned about being over go get tested. I posted up another thread so you can find the locations. They arent doing it to jam you up. They understand the apprehension and concern and are just trying to educate riders. As posted on the other thread 50 % of Michigan Trails are on leased private land.

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Was in Munising on 1 28 thur for a ride with 5 other guys. Decided to head from Mun to GM. Just outside of shingleton ran into a DNR officer doing checks. He had a group of 10 poised next to his truck when we rolled up. Two of us had cans and I was worried at first. Ended up all he did was jump out of his truck and check us for Registrations and Trail passes. No black box, no revving. Assuming, there must have been a few sticker offenders in the group poised next to his truck and he was writing the tickets.

Sidebar here.... I should note, that it puzzles me about all the hoopla around the loudness of a can to some extent. As well as the going off the trail, trust me I understand trespassing and all that and dont make a habit of it whatsoever. However, in regard to side by sides and quads, it would seem to me these machines are close to as loud. Not to mention I've been in groups that when there is some mud around they just tear it up. So in retrospect, it would seem to me that some of the summer time motor sports could possibly do more long term damage. Yet you dont seem to see near as written up on it. Quite possibly I'm just not looking in the correct forums.

Last edited:
O

olymon

Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers are offering snowmobile sound testing from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 20, at the DNR customer service centers in Marquette, Newberry and Gaylord. Sound testing is offered only for 2-stroke machines manufactured after 1980. Conservation officers also will be available during this time to answer snowmobile law-related questions.

Snowmobiler“Decibel-level enforcement has increased this winter to ensure snowmobilers are in compliance with state law and acceptable noise levels, which ensures a better experience for everyone on the trails,” said 1st Lt. Pete Wright. “There is a zero tolerance for sound violations. These sound-testing events offer a great opportunity to make certain your sled is within legal decibel levels.”

The sound test, which takes approximately 10 minutes to perform, includes:

Placing the snowmobile in a designated test area (no objects within a 16-foot radius of the snowmobile).
Placing the sound meter 4 feet above the ground and 13 feet 1.5 inches from the centerline of the machine, on the same side as the exhaust.
The operator, while holding the brake, increasing engine speed until the tachometer reaches 4,000 RPMs +/- 250, and then keeping at that speed for four seconds.
Repeating the test once.
Averaging the two test readings to produce the final result.

Any test result above 88 decibels is failing. No enforcement action will take place should the snowmobile test non-compliant. If the snowmobile sound test fails, snowmobile owners are encouraged to replace the modified exhaust with the original exhaust system from the snowmobile manufacturer. This action will ensure the snowmobile is compliant when on the trail.

Under Michigan law, the muffler on a snowmobile must be in good working order and, when in constant operation, noise emission cannot exceed 88 decibels at 13.1 feet, as measured using the 2004 Society of Automotive Engineers standard J2567 for a stationary snowmobile manufactured after July 1, 1980.

This winter, 14 sound violation tickets have been issued in Michigan through Feb. 2. Enhanced enforcement efforts, aimed at keeping snowmobiling an enjoyable, safe and available experience for everyone, focus on the DNR-managed trail systems, high-use areas and areas where complaints are received. The penalty for violating the sound levels for snowmobiles is a civil infraction, with fines up to $250.

Because approximately 50 percent of Michigan’s 6,200 miles of designated snowmobile trails pass through private land, snowmobile noise violations can have a negative lasting impact on the state’s trail riders.

“Michigan’s vast snowmobile trail system is the result of partnerships with private landowners who, through annual permits between the landowners and snowmobile clubs, open portions of their land for snowmobile trails,” Wright said. “Without these partnerships, the expansive, interconnected trail system enjoyed by thousands of snowmobilers each year wouldn’t exist.”

When snowmobilers behave unethically or illegally, including running snowmobiles with illegal decibel levels, private landowners can and have opted out of signing another annual agreement, and trails have closed.

For more information on snowmobiling in Michigan, including current laws and regulations, go to www.michigan.gov/snowmobiling.

Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
What I still don't get is what standard are they using? Can you choose between 4000rpm/88db and 2500rpm/82db? I know I will politely inform a LEO to cram it if they think I'm going to hold my brake past my engagement for 4 seconds, 2 or 3 times. Are they handing out free $180 belts at each check point?

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
What I still don't get is what standard are they using? Can you choose between 4000rpm/88db and 2500rpm/82db? I know I will politely inform a LEO to cram it if they think I'm going to hold my brake past my engagement for 4 seconds, 2 or 3 times. Are they handing out free $180 belts at each check point?

LOL!!! no they are not handing out 180 dollar belts but if you don't pass they are handing out these little pieces of paper that will cost you 190 dollars. Friend of mine got one on I-500 Race day where the snowmobile trail crosses by the recycling center in the Sault. Needless to say a lot of people have been scrambling to repack their cans or looking for their old stock can.

Last edited:
Y
Jan 29, 2008
Newberry, MI
I guess what I was getting at, is all sleds engage at different points. My summit for example, engages around 3300-3500 rpm with the sea level kit (even tho it says 3000 in the spec sheet). People that don't know what they're doing, the casual rider lets say, might very well be smoking a belt if their engagement rpm is lower than 3750 (4000 +/- 250). If I can squeeze it in, I'm going to stop at the test site in Newberry on the 20th, at least to ask some questions.

Last edited:

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
I guess what I was getting at, is all sleds engage at different points. My summit for example, engages around 3300-3500 rpm with the sea level kit (even tho it says 3000 in the spec sheet). People that don't know what they're doing, the casual rider lets say, might very well be smoking a belt if their engagement rpm is lower than 3750 (4000 +/- 250). If I can squeeze it in, I'm going to stop at the test site in Newberry on the 20th, at least to ask some questions.

I knew what you were getting at :) had to throw some humor in there.

Premium Features