• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 pg low end problems please advise THANKS

L

Lattitude

Alright, My boon dockers pg runs excellent on the top, but runs terrible just after clutch engagement. If you can keep it above 5000 rpms it will rip all day, but coming down a decent or trail it acts like I fouled a plug and it pretty much dies. It never actually dies, but you have to feather the throttle to clean it out. It literally almost throws you over the bars. It gets much worse the warmer the sled gets. I live at 10k and ride up to 12k, I use 6 gallons of 91, 3 of av gas, and 1/2 gallon of toluene per tank. My 3k is 0,0,0. 5k is -3,-5,0 and psi os 10,28,48 dc is 53/88 @ 8 lbs of boost. New top end about 300 miles ago, sled has run perfect except the low end problem the last 100 miles, could it be the reeds? I would greatly appreciate any thought, I have richened and leaned out the bottom end with no real change. Also the max get reading on a long,long pull is 1260. This makes this sled almost worthless for boondocking at the moment. Thanks again for any thought!!

Just change the read, m1000 reed are better and cheaper, got some from free agent for $15 a piece, you need 4 and make sure you put them in the right way.

Mine looked good but where starting to lift just barely, it runs better on bottom now.

Are the M10 reed petals a direct replacement for the M8 reed petals or do you have to buy a new cage for them as well?

If the sled has ran good before and starts bogging for no reason, not due to tuning issues. then its your reeds.

low end bog

I would change the plugs as mentioned, and before changing the reeds ( real pain in the butt ).

Try turning your boost down a little at a time. I run the same altitude and the same kit you are running. My magic # is 7.3 lbs of boost on my ebc.

I have weened myself to 1 gal. of race to a tank. Not sure if I need even the 1 gal. I think ethanol free 91 is all I need, at our altitude.

I have suspected my reads to be the problem twice. Both times I took them out, they were perfect.

Keep us posted.

My reeds looked perfect too, but it runs better with new ones. When you would pull up on the reeds they lifted up real easy the new ones are tight to the cage.

whats kind of mileage are most seeing with the stock reeds?
i have about 600 on my stock reeds now.
i have a slight low end bog when decending down hill, but so did my piped 09m8, my sled has had the bog since install, although it was much worse at first, ive leaned it out to where it was running pretty good except a long descent. only takes a quick flip of the throttle to clear it up.
just curious if everyone is getting close to the same life out of them.
im running around 8lbs with straight avgas..

On stock reeds or m1000 reed? after a climb sleds will usually go lean from the heat, I would say its a low end lean condition. Whos kit are you running.

Another thing to check is your main spring if you break a main spring it will make a low end bog.

Not sure about the 1/2 gallon of toluene per tank?? What is your Alt and octane with the Toluene?? Almost sounds like a little bit to much octane with the AV gas.

Also have you tried running the 3K at -7 -8 and -10??

Premium Features

Back